GOP Failure Watch Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but you know for having said what he said, he is now regarded as a pinko so whatever he says does not count....

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Below is a fantastic comment which encapsulates a point I was trying to make to Brummie the other day.

The one thing I believe Blair has absolutely right is that old left/right doesn't matter anymore. What matters is value delivered.

Achieving value is about confronting problems as you find them, and about having real capability to deliver solutions.

Quite simply networks are the future - or even the markets of today.

The odd thing is that few are actually placing any accounting value on them.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who is deluded into thinking we can draw any long-term conclusions from China's economic boom needs to come back to me in twenty or thirty years when their population has stopped moving to the cities. How many people are losing sleep over the Japanese economic behemoth?

Not to mention that China has several ethnic, regional minorities that, as soon as China stops being able to produce 8% growth each year, will become discontent. Just like they did in 1911, and 1644, and 1398, and the end of each Imperial Dynasty going back to the Ch'in. There's a very long-term trend of China expanding and then contracting; when things get bad in the Imperial City, Beijing retreats and rethinks how it will control the Outer Provinces.

But we'll assume there are other places where networks are improving over markets. Well, we do have a plethora of MNCs, and the growth of IOs. Are they strong enough to outlast a return to tariffs and isolationism? I don't know. It would seem to me that states still have tremendous power over MNCs and IOs, and that lobbying will only go so far.

Again, I cannot stress that one of the larger points being ignored completely is that the US economy is transitioning (and accelerating said transition) from an industrial to a post-industrial economy. People trying to read much into that are the same morons calling for Communism to ease the transition from agriculturalism into industrialism. Democracy and liberalism withstood that, most definitely more dramatic change; it will survive this one as well. We don't need bureaucratic autocracy to do it.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... and what are 'networks' again? :confused:

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, there are both vertical and horizontal networks...vertical networks are much like business hierarchies and tend to - on the surface - promote 'efficiency' and 'results.' Horizontal hierarchies are where all the Deputy Foreign Ministers/Secretaries get together in Prague to share information and expertise so that everyone can go home and better serve their countries. If Jitty is referring to other types of bureaucratic networks, then my earlier post is a well-thought out pile of shit.

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The point was not that we can draw conclusions from what China did - the point is the Chinese don't feel constrained by left/right dogma

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dictatorships rarely feel such constraints.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China doesn't need to constrain itself by ideology because things are improving at a dramatic pace for them. Think about it; the US' best record of bipartisanship came between 1945-1975, when we were experiencing the best thirty years in terms of quality of life, economic growth, and world dominance that has EVER occurred in the history of man. But now, our competitive edge has been narrowed, and we've returned to the pettiness that dominated politics beforehand - remember the fight between Wilson and Lodge over the Versailles Treaty? Boehner and McConnell essentially played that playbook against Obama. How about the Democratic filibusters over industrial policy in the 1870s-1890s? Things weren't always as rosy as you remember it. Much of the Western world is the same; bipartisanship and results occurred when economic growth was broad-based and thorough; when it slowed down, you got Thatcher politics.

When China inevitably slows down (they can't make new metropolises forever. Metropoli? Metropolitan areas?), they will discover the same problems hidden under their political surface that were there before - like their genius decision to starve the population in the 1950s. And it's not like China has a tremendous accomplishment as a bureaucracy. The tainted milk scandal, school collapse, earthquake, Yellow River poisoning, etc...in several cases, they executed your so-called expert bureaucrats for complete incompetence. When the CPC executes one of its own leaders, you're pretty sure there's a problem there. So I'm telling you; none of the 'solutions' you can find from Chinese politics are real. They will disappear with the first recession.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Either

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Actually, "Metropoli" would be incorrect. The suffix "-i" is a plural form of the Latin suffix "-us". Metropolis is a Greek derivative, and ends with "-is", not "-us".

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVy4BrxpKGQ"]Life of Brian Latin Lesson - YouTube[/ame]

Second time this week I've posted that link:rolleyes:

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    boy, the attention spans of kids these days is just getting look at that bee! did you see the size of that thing?

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Talk to the blokes at OED. "Metropoli" has been used since the 19th century.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah but that's not nearly mmm donut.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ooh, it's an old fashioned 'latin-off' :)

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I found this rather amusing.

18. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having this person seriously in the primary race is a major GOP fail

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011...e_earthquake_natural_disasters_were_mess.html

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like when Jesus lets the other team win...the guy who hit the winning home-run is obviously more liked by Jesus than the pitcher who threw the ball

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Let me know when you get it up and running, I'll be happy to walk that line with you.

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey D00D they do that already.:p

I bet you ten to one that BigSoccer doesn't let that URL work...and they shouldn't either.

24. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can anyone hate low taxes?

25. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or his prayers are on high-speed connection to God while the pitcher is on dial-up.