GOP Failure Watch Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's the stated logic. The unstated logic is, "We know our argument is bullshit but we'll put up with a second recession if it means killing Dem spending programs and embarrassing Obama so that he loses the 2012 election."

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/opinion/05kristof.html

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who doesn't love data entry?

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_18635050?nclick_check=1

Why is this GOP failure?

Nice job George W. Bush Administration.

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Perhaps it is John Dolan.

10. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much fail in here that it's hard to contemplate without growing irate.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_08/the_thank_america_last_crowd031702.php

The gist of it is that McCain and Graham issued a statement about Libya that congratulates everyone involved except the leader of the coalition (Obama) that aided the rebels.

The idea that MORE American force would have been useful in achieving this outcome is folly, and the diplomatic results of it being 'our' war instead of the rebels would have been a catastrophe.

All you need to know is this:

[​IMG]

I absolutely LOVE the photo of McCain kowtowing to Qaddafi. What an absolute gem of an image. The doddering old war-hawk fool bowing before a brutal dictator.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This was a big Obama win. He's adroit at foreign policy, which suits his careful, lead-from-behind approach.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just know the spin machine is fast at work turning this into a FAIL though...

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's not going to work. The American public likes Obama on foreign policy. Plus the Republicans haven't got a clue, they're in fast retreat from neoconservativism and don't have a Plan B. The public knows that any criticism of Obama is purely politics.

It will be jobs jobs jobs and deficit deficit deficit in 2012, that will be the Republican theme. Foreign policy will be an afterthought.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, which is a horrific shame on the people I call my neighbors. Especially since many pretended not to like it when a Republican with the exact same foreign policy was in office. I guess the slight nuance Obama puts on it makes a big difference.

Ron Paul is the presumptive nominee? When did this happen? Besides him, which of the leading contenders disagree with the Bush/Obama foreign policy? They may use different language, but they don't disagree.

Well, it's hard to make something a theme when your opponent agrees with it.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know where to put the growth of the white U.S. underclass so I'll put it here. If you think the GOP is not to blame, well your side has had 20 years of the Presidency since 1980, but whatever ... file it mentally under Dem failure then.

34% of births to high school educated white women are out of wedlock, as opposed to 5% 30 years ago.

Two pictures of how a social group is crumbling.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Every one of them said get the troops home in the first debate. They've all become Ron lite on foreign wars.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So the Republicans will not only end the most stimulative of all the tax cuts that have been enacted, but will do so while claiming that it's not stimulative.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is church attendence in there?

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This highly misleading meme about the bottom 50% not paying income tax is really making the rounds; they do get their talking points out in a very widespread and well-organized manner.

20. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Those folks seem to believe everything they read in forwarded emails. Remember how pervasive the "Obama is a Muslim" and "Obama's birth certificate" meme were, and how marek posted that stupid email in the Democratic failure thread thinking it was food for thought?

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah good question. I don't mean to imply that church attendance = morality. What I mean is that while college-educated white culture is holding steady, with church attendance and children out of wedlock numbers esssentially unchanged from 30 years ago, working-class white culture is changing dramatically. And not for the good. Divorce rates were once higher among the college educated, now it's the opposite.

So in *this case* (not by any means in all cases) I interpret declining church attendence as being a symptom of a general disaffection, as with rising divorce rates and incidences of bastardry.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The EPA is evil thing must be in there too. I can't for the life of me figure out why the EPA has suddenly become the Evil Pestilence Agency.

As a side note, it's ironic how the greatest evils seem to be those items that were originally Republican. Obamacare is warmed over Newt & Romney Care, the EPA was founded during the Nixon Administration, and the alternative minimum tax was a Nixon program that was expanded under Reagan.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Church membership/participation also implies that you are frequently free on Sunday mornings, rather than working odd hours or sleeping off a Saturday night graveyard shift.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Probably something to do with all those pesky rules and regulations that hamper Mega Business Corporation from making zillions while polluting and poisoning in the process.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think we need a "Consumerism Fail" thread for stuff like this. Or a "capitalism fail" thread. I also think it's cultural as much as it's political, and though I am sure that the Republican spin-factory will work in a "this is what happens in a welfare state" approach, it has more to do with the destabilization of communities: this is exactly what's going to happen when jobs are as portable as they've become, and when the needs of capital outweigh the needs of communities and people as a matter of policy.

Okay: maybe it is political more than cultural.