GOP Failure Watch Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nixon 4 sure.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And Superdave might be busy today, so allow me to recommend Rick Perlstein's Nixonland for a brilliant history of that transformation Ceezmad hinted at in post #3048.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, those "solutions" in the last paragraph only help people who are middle class or better, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised about that. In general the republicans like all the benefits of ACA, they just don't like the provision that pays for it. Again, no surprise from the party that promises something for nothing.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apologies for another rather OT post but, (and I realise I'm stretching the point here), this is kind of on topic because it relates to how a legislature can be held to account and also reflects deeper sense of..... er.... oh, screw it! It's bloody funny...

:D

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am simply speechless... and yet i was not censored by the reeps, whom dare tell the stupid media of ours how "dictatorial" Obama is.... (just read some of the comments on the article..i was already telling myself quite sarcastically "well, there's always immigrants who can get blame and.... voila!") Ugh....

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Huh. I missed this one:

Allen West: "“So once again we are creating the sense of economic dependence, which, to me, is a form of modern, 21st-century slavery.” When Vets Receive Disability Benefits, that is.

But West, a retired Army colonel who wears a Master Parachutist lapel pin wherever he goes and often weaves his military service into speeches and interviews, may not be aware that close to a million disabled veterans rely on these benefits. In 2011, there were 828,000 veterans under age 66 who reported receiving Social Security disability benefits, a spokesperson for the Social Security administration told Salon. Disability benefits are available to both active-duty and retired members of the armed services who cannot work, just as with civilians, and are meant to supplement TRICARE and benefits provided through the VA.

“Allen West’s comment is offensive to the over 850,000 disabled veterans who are under the age of 60 that are anything but a slave. They are American patriots who deserve our thanks, not slights from extremists like Allen West,” former Rep. Patrick Murphy, a Democrat who was the first Iraq veteran to serve in Congress, told Salon, citing a different measure of vets on Social Security benefits. “You would think the congressman actually knew what the hell he was talking about before he threw over 850,000 American veterans under the bus,” the former Pennsylvania lawmaker said.

He said he’s heard from others on West’s comments too.

“I was literally just on the phone with a guy in Pennsylvania who is a fellow veteran, who said first it was Joe Walsh attacking veterans last week, now Allen West this week — it’s like a pattern.”​

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the budget was immune to filibusters.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

This Congress is really a disgrace to America...:mad:

14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    He said the GOP won the Congressional golf challenge
    Isn't that a Dem failure?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I took a couple of 19th century American South history courses in college, from an African-American professor. He reserved special contempt for those who compared the injustices found in late 20th century U.S. to that of official slavery. He said that was an affront to all those who suffered through the genuine article, that it belittled their struggles.

Which is another way of saying maybe Allen West needs a horsewhipping to understand what slavery actually meant.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In a way, this is a Dem failure, since they should be absolutely pummeling the GOP with this and Walsh's comments. But they're not, and I think that's partially because they too readily concede military/veteran issues to the GOP. For no good reason, but they do.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno, can you pummel a party for the comments of a couple of fringe Congressmen? Seems to me you can drum up something that feeds the core, which already believe that the opposition is Satan, but the centrists surely would realize that West and Walsh are straw man, that as bad as today's Republican Party it is not *that* bad. These two men are idjiots by any standard.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it isn't a few fringe Congressmen. Sure West is out there, but a significantpercent of the freshman class of Representatives is also out there cheering him on. I can definitely see discounting Rand Paul because he's the crazy Senator, but the House has been largely taken over by the crazies.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Paul Ryan's a douche but he doesn't talk about Dems putting people into slavery.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Based on the media (I know, I know), it doesn't sound like the House leadership is actually leading the House. They might have the titles, but the reality is that very few things get done without first going through the Tea Party faction and getting their approval first.

21. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm. Yes. Make them publicly disavow, apologize for it, distance themselves from it. Either they do it or they can be one of the crazies. It works.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dear Lindsey -

Actually, it's American to fulfill your obligations to society, and Greek to dodge them.

GiuseppeSignori, fatbastard and dapip repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is patriotic and good for society to pay your fair share of taxes, it is unAmerican to weasel out of them like a reality show contestant.
    Lindsey Graham, you disgrace your office.
    btw, Lindsey is a girl's name ;)

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how the Senator who is probably best on civil liberties in the entire Senate is the crazy one, and those who support things like the Drug War and the Patriot Act are... normal?

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rand Paul: Excellent on the Patriot Act. Typical GOP when it comes to pandering to the base.