GOP Failure Watch Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There ain't much Christ in most Christians.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know your post is intended to be sarcastic, but frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't accepted as fact, for the most part.

I don't see any mass movement on the part of others who follow Christianity to correct the protestors, and none to rid their faith of intolerance toward non-Christians. No organized "Let's kick bigotry out of Christianity", to use part of FIFA's slogan. Sharing an afterlife with Christians like those would be a sort of Inferno, perhaps even hotter than the one where the allegedly "bad" people end up.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Seems a little late to start now. (1800 years ago it would have been novel.)

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus would turn another cheek or poke an eye with a tooth or something.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Christianity at heart is about redemption from sin. The other stuff, that is how Christ said a life should be lived, eh some will take it and others will leave it.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1800 years ago? This latest and most virulent strain cropped up around January 2009. It's never too late.

And, of course, "sin" is defined narrowly enough that they can behave in this fashion and not be called on it by their higher power. F. Lee Bailey couldn't have done it any more cleverly.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Really? Explain this then: the economy had a great run under Reagan with a Democrat controlled Congress and the Clinton economy sputtered until the GOP took control of the House and then took off. Meanwhile Obama enjoyed a Democrat controlled Congress and a filibuster proof majority in Senate for 2 years, allowing him to pull all the economic levers he desired and yet nothing worked.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Not exactly.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First.. What do you mean by the economy was sputtered until the GOP took over Congress? In 1994 the GDP had some of the best quarters during Clinton's presidency.. Now, as a whole the economy did do better from 1996 on, but 1994 was a very good year for the economy.

Second.. Obama did not have a fillibuster proof Senate for 2 years. They did have 60 after Franken was finally sworn in in June 2001, but by that point Kennedy was gone dealing with the brain cancer that ultimately killed him and it wasn't until after Kirk was appointed to Kennedy's seat in September that they actually had 60. That lasted until Feb 4, when Brown was sworn in and replaced Kirk, putting the Dems at 59 and the Reps at 41 for the rest of the Congress. So, at best, you could claim that the Dems had 5 months of filibuster proof Senate.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just what I said. The economy Bill inherited was growing a healthy clip (+4%) and then faltered. It then took off after Newt & Co. were wisked into office.

Spin it as you like, fact is Dems were firmly in control of both Houses.

12. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^
    It must be nice to see the world through your simpleton glasses

13. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    make up your mind

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What I noted were simple(ton)facts. Sorry if they negate your nuanced view that economies flourish under full Democratic rule.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Clinton inherited an economy that was already recovering, it sputtered, and then Newt and Company were sweept into the House. Where did I get the narrative wrong?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He means he'd rather believe the lies Rush tells him than realize his political philosophy is bad for America and he should change his mind.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Dave, the GDP #s are publiished and in the public domain. If you want to discuss them I am game.

18. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This story got my blood running hot today.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/20/155306187/big-political-donors-shy-away-from-public-scrutiny

Rich republican donors crying foul over the press coverage they're getting as a result of their giant donations? Only in today's America. Powerful legislators saying that rich donors have a right to be anonymous and "organize" in support of a political candidate while trying everything he can to deny workers the right to "organize" at all in support of their life, liberty, and happiness? Only in today's Republican party. Mitch McConnel, the highest ranking Senate republican saying that our political donation process needs LESS transparency? Flat out disgusting. Anti-American. Treasonous.

They're purchasing negative press coverage and advertising against their political opponents and crying about having any of themselves. It's astounding. It's so hypocritical it's ridiculous. The constant crying victim when you're actually the criminal is so infuriating.

It makes me want to spit nails, and it's why I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever vote for these scumbag anti-American ********s.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hear ya. I've been writing this for a long time now. I was alright with Republicans when they stood up brave and tall for their beliefs, doing the Clint Eastwood thing. But now ... boo hoo, the mainstream world is against them. Lord Almighty stop with the self pity.

Republicans like to think they are like Chuck Norris, but then they act like the crying girl who is huddling in the corner that Chuck saves. Come on now.

20. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Brazil's soccer team!

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Did you just call Auria a Reep?

Auriaprottu and HouseHead78 repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So to the extent that we do the simple-minded analysis of - 1) Change in GDP growth relative to the OECD average tells the whole U.S. economic story, and 2) The President gets credit or blame for the entire story, then -

Ronnie wasn't getting it done at the end
    Bush the First was mixed
    Clinton rocked
    W didn't but he wasn't horrible either

Wonder if the U.S. continues to look so strong vs. The Top 5 over the past 5 years. I suspect not.

dapip repped this.
  24. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Marcelo is a Reep though. And Neymar. All in your face then whining like a bitch when they get called on anything.

25. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernanke Tells congress to stop hyper fixating on vaginas and guns and help put people back to work and get the economy going