Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    If he wants to go to the WC he needs to start playing anywhere that will give him 90 minutes a game.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Head back to Belgium. Or find some relegation fodder club in France/Germany willing to take a chance on him.

Or maybe just retire and work on his autobiography.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, I think that ship has sailed. He's really just looking for another country to try out. Let's see, he's lived in England, Belgium, France, Italy, Portugal and Holland (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Munich is an option, as is Barcelona (oops, he's been to Spain), and Glasgow. Hopefully, wherever he lands we'll see an awful lot of large half-American defenders coming up through the ranks of the various European youth teams in 10-15 years. Sew those oats Gooch (my apologies if he is married)!

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't know why, but something tells me he's headed to RBNY. #totalspeculation

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    New York would be a great place to re-energize his career as a model.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I beat you on that one. Where do you think Stabaek is located?

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And bench Zat Knight? You crazy!

Chance and ttrevett repped this.
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    They did just drop Holgersson for salary cap reasons at $200K, not sure how Gooch would fit in.

9. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch and Zat Knight would be a pretty hilarious CB partnership.

soccerusa517 and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    it's a shame about the injuries because he was once a really good player. I don't think he's even Championship level anymore. He'd probably be better off coming back to MLS.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, remember that QPR has the best defense in the championship, Gooch was really just signed as short term cover as QPR only had 3 center backs. Perhaps if he stays he'd eventually work his way into the linep,perhaps not. Its tempting to blame it on the kneee but you dont know that.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    QPR has a fully fledged Premiership squad that's competing a level down. I have no idea how they're making the finances work.

13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the payment you get when you go down will see through if they bounce. Although all I have on that is baseless speculation since I reallt know little about QPR.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    LOL. I'm looking forward to when he drops that autobiography. 1 of the most well traveled Americans of the 21st century. Dude speaks like 4/5 languages.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wasn't it a few years ago there was a League 2 squad that was paying some players like 30-40 K a week on wages to help them be quickly promoted. I think Ericsson was the manager.

16. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Correct, he came in as cover when Onouha got injured, and is now 4th choice centre back. If he wants to move on and play everyweek then that's fair enough.

We're not.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Notts County?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    fyp ;)

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And of course there was Portsmouth and they went bankrupt.

20. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #145 art, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    thats down to the rich guys :) of which QPR has some of the richest around. Thats also why QPR is planning to build a 40000 seat stadium, lots of room for the tourist fan which is one of the reasons Fulham survives. Hell I'll go, would be a great trip.

Its interesting how this is going down in QPR land, even though he never played for them it seems like a lot of QPR fans are sorry to see him go, one because they again have no real cover for that position, two because he never got on the field to prove what he could do. Combined with HR's words that he wanted gooch to stay (which you have to take with a grain of salt with Redknapp), and this does seem like it's not about Gooch being let go, but rather Gooch deciding to move on in search of playing time.

Hararea repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sucks that Gooch didn't even get 1 single appearance but I'm sure the $$$$ made up for it.

22. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm not sure which qpr forums you've been on, but on loftforwords, the overwhelming majority would far rather see our own youngster Max Ehmer warming the bench than Onyewu, not as any reflection on Onyewu as to be honest we haven't seen any of him, we'd just rather have our own young pros given a chance rather than stop gap signings like Benayoun, Onyewu & Chevanton.

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 art, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

Ive seen that and I agree I'm just saying there are many QPR fans who think Gooch should have got a game at some point, and like the Chevanton transfer, view this as evidence of HR's odd transfer policy; bring someone in, dont play him, let him go; why bring them in at all. Mostly im trying to point out to those who think this is another onyewu failure, that's not exactly it. Just not a great situation for him. And BTW ive been a QPR fan since the early 90's so Im aware of the sentiments.

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I wonder if the Bradley to MLS move will make Gooch think seriously about returning to the league, if someone offers him good value.

25. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    He's not going to play for $150k. And the MLS salary cap is $3 million. Most teams after DP's have $2.2 mil left. That makes it very difficult to offer mid-range salaries.