Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't see how Gooch could beat out Dunne and Clint Hill. He is a very similar player with much less experience in the English leagues.

2. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch will surprise. Excited for this.

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both those guys are old and slow. Now Gooch, while not as old in age, may be in terms of where his body is. If he has something left, he is much more physically dominant, especially compared to Hill (Gooch is four inches taller). But those guys certainly know the English game better.

And again, I have no idea what Gooch can bring to the table NOW.

4. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    I bet he won't start, but I could definitely see him coming in as a sub. As mentioned already were 11 games in and have only conceded 4 goals so we've been pretty solid. This weekend will be a big test. Either way last week I was saying to one of my friend I wanted a fellow American on the team so I got my wish. Better believe we're accepting more American support haha

5. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when do center backs receive sub minutes?

6. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    When you throw away wins with 92nd minute scrambled equalisers like last weekend.

7. alfredstifsim

alfredstifsim Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    And when your starters are 34 and 35 years old

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    His English is outstanding. He can move to any country and fit right in.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Clearly 'Arry doesn't know about "Sh!t that Jurgen Says." 75% of that is basically false. We all know that Gooch MAY go to the WC if he's healthy, in good form and playing ball. Almost certainly? Bad on you Mr. Redknapp.

11. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Agreed. I would think Besler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Cameron, and maybe even Brooks are all ahead of Gooch in the pecking order right now. Then there's Orozco, Ream and Whitbread.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players have to absolutely love a national manager who will blatantly stretch the truth to help a guy get a club job. The more I learn about this guy, the more I love. Swiping Germans from ze Germans, Icelanders from Iceland, and if you haven't seen the youtube thank you from him to the fans, it was pure class.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this, Juergen probably did a bit to help him land a gig talking highly of him.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Right now is not next May. I will patiently wait and watch how this winter goes. All I know is when Gooch gets regular playing time, he gets good reviews on a game-by-game basis.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And not all of those reviews are penned by his agent!

16. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    I wonder who's more likely to stretch the truth, Redknapp or Klinsmann? I think Redknapp is more likely to end up in jail for perjury.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, a point. What would 'arry's motive though in this circumstance? He's not likely to sign a guy that is very limited and then just fabricate a story about Jk's assurances. It seems more plausible that JK wanted Gooch to get a job, vouched for him in a way that only the National Team manager can do, and 'arry bought it.

18. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    It's in Redknapp's interest to say nice things about a new signing.

Klinsmann tells Redknapp that Onyewu will almost certainly go to Brazil if he plays well for QPR. Redknapp simplifies that to Gooch will almost certainly go to Brazil, since he wouldn't have signed him it he didn't think he was going to play well for QPR. Nobody gets hurt, no serious lies are told.

blacksun and NoSix repped this.
  19. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily saying he will per se but with Onuoha also needed as RB depth I could see him getting minutes.

20. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly? Probably Klinsmann.

21. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the unsung hero in this might actually be Steve McLaren, who crossed paths with Gooch at Twente; McLaren was coaching at QPR under Reknapp for a time before he took the Derby job.

22. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting for sure... Last time I saw QPR play, Hill was captain and I believe he still is. Then of course, there's Dunne. Then Onuoha has backed them up throughout the season. I could see him starting eventually but it looks as though Dunne and Hill have had a pretty solid season thus far.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is it seriously a 3month deal? The hell?