Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If he keeps this up, hope he can get an extension for another year (maybe 2?)

Deeneaus repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Holy s***! According to the radio announcers, Gooch just burst into a "30 to 40 yard" breakout up the right flank, "turned on a sixpence" and "sent in a lovely ball" for an assist to Leon Best.

He and Wednesday lead Gooch's old team QPR, 2-0. (First goal was a PK + red card.)

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Nice, but I'll sit up and take notice when Gooch can turn on a dime.

4. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I'm more impressed that he can even find a sixpence, given that they haven't been minted since a dozen years before he was born.

russ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    446055593598808064 is not a valid tweet id

Deeneaus and Testudo repped this.
  6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what I saw of spector and packwood doesn't bear discussing. Wednesday gave brum's defense a very rough afternoon, and neither looked comfortable - packwood's misery compounded by an own goal.

comfortable, however, is a very apt discription of gooch as he plays alongside glen loovens in the Wednesday defense. to say he (gooch) is commanding in the air is an understatement. they are really composed back there, and Wednesday fans will be very much in favor in re-signing onyewu come the summer. the fact is, however, that much of it is down to loovens. he is absolute class, and you won't find better at the championship level. when replaced by Miguel Llera late v Birminghma City, Wednesday conceded quickly, and whilst certainly not a goal put primarily down to onyewu, he was out of position and a bit slow-footed in his reaction in ways that never looked likely whilst alongside the dutchman.

it seems fairly apparent that gooch's pace - or lack thereof - is, if not in the championship, then certainly for international football, a concern. that may be slightly harsh conclusion from two fairly solid performances against Wigan and Brum; but there you have it. he can be got behind too easily against solid opposition, to my mind, and would be badly exposed at the world cup. and lack of time to settle and coordinate in preparation thereof would make him a very suspect addition - particularly as he wouldn't likely be starting.

I'm a big onyewu fan, and I'm enjoying and appreciating how he's settling in and contributing at Sheffield Wednesday. and should Klinsmann include him, i'll be happy for him and hoping for the best. but there were moments ... scuffed clearances, just-a-hair-late reactions, etc ... in both games that, while gotten away with there, could well have been punished on the big stage. at least that's how it seemed to me. that said, i'll gladly defer to Jurgen and those more knowledgeable than myself ... and I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    my mate pete has just described a couple of gooch's runs out of the back v QPR tonight as 'beckenbaueresque'.

of his centerhalf partner's play: "Loovens continues to look like he could sip a dry Martini whilst wearing carpet slippers and a nice cravat. Coooooooool."

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Kudos to his agent and for the Big Guy.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It think the same can be said for any of the options for the big CB {Gucci, Goodson, Gonzalez, Brooks}. Other attributes may well be the deciding factor.

Deeneaus repped this.
  10. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Brooks is actually quite quick.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree, Brooks' recovery speed is actually quite impressive. Re-watch the Ukraine friendly, it's on full display. If he didn't have that speed it would've been an even uglier afternoon for him than it was.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  12. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gooch is lose!!!

[​IMG]

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hell Gooch could have demanded the pass back. He was open. But def a big Plus considering he was coming off injuries from the past few months.

14. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Didn't gooch play forward when he was younger? Imagine if he had stayed in that position instead of moving to CB... he'd be a terror to mark in the box on corners and off crosses.

15. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought, going back years, that late in a game when his team needed a goal and was out of a sub that moving him up top would be a great option. I saw Milan do this with him during a preseason US tour in 2009 and it was effective. I posted in the US boards my observations after that game and people mentioned he was originally a forward, so the position isn't foreign to him.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without empirical data it is hard to say. From what I have seen, if healthy, I would take Gucci in a straight line sprint of 20 m or more. Brooks has the clear advantage in lateral quickness but none of the 4 are particularly quick unlike say Cameron who at 6'3" is very quick.

17. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    From what I have seen and read in scout reports Brooks is known to be an especially fast cb for his height.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Deeneaus and Scotty repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he really needs to stop referring to Wednesday as 'Sheffield', though.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not with those knees! He still looks 'herky jerky' like it hurts to pivot and turn on those knees. I know how that is.....

Bad defending too on the opponent--but good to see him assist. That will do wonders for his confidence.

22. DKutulsa

DKutulsa Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I dont think that was bad defending on Gooch as much as it was just to much strength and good use of his body to fight off the defender. I hate it when people say bad defending when an attacker makes a decent run or puts the moves on somebody. I mean, technically every goal is "bad defending" but it doesnt automatically mean the attacker didnt earn the goal or assist ect.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Another 90 but they lose to Doncaster.

24. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmfao. "Herky jerky" huh? Damn I've seen everything on BS now.

25. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Gooch, he said I'm flourishing 'in' Sheffield implying that he's actually talking about the city of Sheffield rather than the club.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.