News: Goncalves Out? (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By himself, with the headphones in? ;) If we believe Twellman that's how he normally practices..

2. ibogaine

ibogaine New Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    come to china,lol

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW Kyle McCarthy on twitter an hour ago re: JoGo

4. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think it sounds like things might be patched over (at least temporarily). If that was the case, it might be in Heaps best interest not to reveal it so Vancouver has to prepare for either situation (at least I could see him thinking like that).

bwidell repped this.
  5. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
  6. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Burns said everything has been patched up.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is bon

Jon Martin repped this.
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the story continues ...

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, this article doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It's just a summary of all the things we've already heard.

10. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    "It’s an episode that has done little to dispel the perception that New England is a club that does things on the cheap." - Oh please, who has such a perception really? Everybody knows that Parky only went to the Crew because he wanted to live large in happening Central Ohio and it's famous club scene.

Although more seriously, knowing the stories we hear out of Europe, if Goncalves is unhappy or surprised by the team paying him what's in the contract he signed, he only has himself and/or his agent to blame. If he's travelled around so much, he must be aware of the shady things that happen in small and not so small leagues over there. As has been said, it's not impossible, but I just can't imagine the Revs having promised some big pay day to anybody, or that any agent worth his salt wouldn't be aware of the Revs and their reputation regarding money.

bwidell repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothng really new here, although I don't know what they mean by a "pay cut." I may be wrong, but I understood it that he is making the same as he made last year, but the difference is that it is all coming out of the Revs' pockets, not the split last year where the majority came from his old club. Unless there were certain extras that the Swiss club gave him that were not part of his Revs contract...

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember originally, I thought that with Sion's help, he was being paid something like $900k or so. I can't remember where I saw this information, but I think it came out when the original story broke.

13. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may really be out now. Didn't look good.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case and he's now at $450k - a 50% reduction after winning defender of the year - wow. I'd be pissed too.

15. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I really don't like projecting stuff like this, but the contact on Goncalves' injury yesterday didn't seem *that* bad, and I can't help wondering if it's something he would have tried to play through last year. I can't shake the idea that "patched up" or not, we're only going to get 80% of Jose's best this season.

16. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote the article "...(New England)will pay him $479,375 this season, making him the second-highest paid defender in the league behind the LA Galaxy’s Omar Gonzalez. Yet, sources indicated that Goncalves’ total compensation is well below what he was making last year..."

So if we believe the article, he was making well above $479,375 last year and this year, coming off defender of the year and being the prime age of this career, he's only making $479,375. It seems pretty clear to me that, even though his contract was set up this way, he still felt that what happened isn't right, and he got pissed. I think I'd be pissed too. He's in the prime of his career, probably will never have as much transfer value as last year, and felt like he was owed a bump in pay, or at least the same level of pay as last year. It's not all that different from the Vince Wilfork saga is it?

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vince is old for a D-lineman at 32 and coming off a bad injury. Only my opinion but not the same as Gonsalves

18. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the same as in, both players outplayed their contract,were still under contract and wanted to get paid more. Vince said he wanted to be released, but I don't think Gonsalves ever said that. Also, Vince is not in his prime anymore, which I think highlights even further how Gonsalves should have even more right to be unhappy.

I think Vince got a lot more public support for his stance than Gonsalves did which seems unfair. That's my point.

19. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Totally different situations, not even taking into account the players' ages. Vince's contract is not guaranteed, and people were saying that the Pats might just wait a while and then release him right before the season, when there might not have been a market for Vince anymore. People are going to have more sympathy for unguaranteed contracts than guaranteed.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What I'm wondering is, how did he and/or his agent get the expectation that the Revs were going to "make up" the Sion part of the deal that they didn't pay last year (and wasn't part of the contract)?

That total would bring him into a territory that MLS generally just doesn't pay for defenders - or at least those with as little international cache as JoGo. Marquez, Donadoni, Matteus, etc. may have greatly under-performed expectations, but they had world-wide recognition. I just don't get where anyone could have thought MLS would pay that kind of level for Goncalves. By MLS standards for defenders, he's very, very well paid.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's simple, MLS grossly undervalues defenders and grossly overvalues everyone else. Given their importance, a guy like Collin for SKC should be making more than he does, as should Goncalves. Parkhurst is another one.

On JoGo, even if Sion was paying half and the contract said it was going to stop, how could the revs not pay Goncalves at least what he made in 2013? Note, this isn't a raise - this is simply paying your captain the same rate as last season.

It's borderline unethical to take advantage of a guy like that - the revs knew what they were doing even if JoGo's agent didn't.

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the fact that the likes of Omar Gonzales makes more money would be enough to piss me off.

23. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Maybe I missed it, but is there any news on the severity of JoGo injury? MLS article today says a quad injury. But no other detail.

FWIW -- Most of last year's key players down the middle of the field are now gone or injured. Agudelo; JoGo; Reis.

24. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club: