News: Goncalves Out? (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Given Goncalves' history, Heaps had to expect Goncalves would choose to sit and earn his money anyways

3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but could refusing to play be considered breach of contract?

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disgusted with Jerry. It's become all to common for sports stars to ignore their contracts and want more money after a good year. People here can try to blame the Revs but I'm 100% holding a player responsible---period. :x3:

5. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Jose.

Jerry hasn't had a good year so we don't need to worry about it.

6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Like Tevez's situation a while ago

7. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    It doesn't sound like he refused to play. Heaps decided not to include him because of his attitude.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to create some humor in a situation that us very unfunny :eek:

9. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    So was I. :oops:

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Does anyone have a sense of what JoGo wants? Last I saw, he was making very decent money. What could they have promised him, which they failed to deliver on? Perhaps a multi-year contract?

I can't think of a way out of this. If the club has done everything that they are going to do, then they might as well get him off the books. Trade him to one of the teams that doesn't have a salary cap.

LongDuckDong and bwidell repped this.
  11. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm confused too. He's making $450,000. Second highest in the league, behind Omar Gonzalez. How much does he want?

revsrock and LongDuckDong repped this.
  12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    (Getting back on my hobby horse), I'm nominating Gonçalves for Laba. I would have suggested Parkhurst, but he has settled in so well in Columbus, I doubt they'd let him go at this point.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose is wrong for sulking and letting it affect his play, if indeed that is what happened in Houston.

The Revs are wrong for making him promises and not keeping them, or so he claims.

Given the Revs silence on the subject (hey, I'm sure no one will notice if we leave him out of the 18 and say nothing), I'd tend to side with Jose, but I don't think any KADs are surprised by that statement, so let me save you the trouble:

Generic KAD reply: You can't blame the FO when we don't know all the facts!

My reply to that: Since they won't tell us the facts (ever), I'm forced to make my judgement based on the information we have.

The good news for the Tierney-haters: CT wore the armband today, and it appears Jay Heaps enjoys running captains out of town...

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've posted elsewhere--when teams start throwing around the mega bucks like Toronto et al it's opened pandoras box to this kind of player narcissism. Now that the lid is off what was a reasonably controlled player salary system I predict this is going to get worse before it gets better. I know that may be necessary if MLS wants to become competitive on the world market for players but I personally think it's going to change the character of the balance in the league and that saddens me a lot. I like cporting events that are carried out on a level playing field and right now MLS is about to start tilting towards owners that are willing to trow money at their franchise

rkupp, bwidell and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  16. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question- what professional sporting events in this country are held on this level field? I'm struggling to think of one.

Every pro league in this country has its haves and its have nots. The thing here is that a "have" owner has decided to treat his soccer team has a "have not" team.

MLS is tilting towards owners who act like their soccer properties are real, serious, professional teams deserving of having money spent on them. Ours is living in MLS past, and getting left behind.

All that said, JoGo is being unprofessional with this bullshit. You signed the paper, no gun to his head. Get mad at your agent.

CenterForward, patfan1, joegrav and 2 others repped this.
  17. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Brian O'Connell's source says Goncalves was never given an ultimatum. He wanted to play but was told he would not.

http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=24487

We're never going to find out whose fault any of this is, but the Revs need to decide what they're doing. Play him or cut him. If he refuses to play, cut him.

Burns must be close to finding that DM with bite we've been hearing so much about, no? Now he can move on to a new starting CB.

18. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last part is key.

19. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    So New England didn't make any promises to him that they haven't follow through on? Who knows. Just sort out the situation one way or the other.

20. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One way or another, the Revs need to resolve this... like now.

No one in MLS can have a good thing go bad faster than us.

TheLostUniversity and NFLPatriot repped this.
  21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he just wants out of here? Wouldnt be the first top tier player that wants to leave this sorry organization.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't we have nice things?

jw, metoo, nsa and 2 others repped this.
  23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    "But according to a source close to Goncalves, the 2013 Defender of the Year was never given an ultimatum.

'Jose was not presented with an ultimatum about playing and he wanted to play for the team in the game against Philadelphia,” the source said. “He strongly supports the team and wants to help them in any way he can.' "

Say what?

24. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another player backing Jose I'm guessing? This whole thing is bizarre.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was another player. They know and respect him, that's obvious. They also have seen or heard of issues with contracts and Revs players...