Alert: GolTV toils w/ DishNetwork

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Robdog, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Cleaner

Cleaner New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Cool I will look into that ... I am not a big fan of conference style either but hey like you said better than nothing at this point.

2. Cleaner

Cleaner New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    And just to give my two cents on the whole matter... I don't believe that GOLTV deserves more money for the programming. I have had to call them and email them to get their programming straight on several occasions so I could DVR correctly. The service from GolTV in my opinion is below standard of FSC and ESPN from my experience.

It would be nice for the FCC to stick their fingers into matters like this so the consumer does not get cheated out of what they paid for... FCC like to stick their nose into everything else.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they went away from the single game concept and the German government dropped German TV (it was fun to watch the New Years celepbrations on it) I dropped it as well, especially as Gol TV had the games in English (not thet german was a problem for me). I really don't like the "conference".

4. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The fact that there is no NHL Network or MLB Extra Innings is bad enough, but no Gol TV is pretty darn sucky....even Comcast (here in Chicago) as all of those in the channel line up. And anyone that knows comcast knows how sad that is.

5. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot, not only did we get free Sunday Ticket for switching to DirecTV, we're going to go ahead and add ESPN Game Plan for $109 for the whole season.

We will never miss a game. Of anything.

I am pathetic.

6. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    I am ready to switch to Directv, but I have a question, who takes all the DISH equipment (dish, receivers, cables etc..), myself or DISH sends someone to do it?

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that the "free preview" of FSE is going away as of Aug 27 if I am correctly reading the message on the location where Gol TV was on Dish. I would bet that that date is the deadline Dish has set for negotiations and the channel will be removed after that.

8. astoria

astoria New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I just cancelled Dish yesterday, La Liga is soon starting and I was sick of waiting for their "negotiations". They told me they'll be sending me pre-paid boxes for the DVR receiver and remote, which I'm technically leasing, and just drop it off at any UPS store. Pretty easy! The dish itself I own, so I guess I'll recycle that?

Initially I wasn't too keen on switching from Dish to DirecTV, since it was way more expensive. But now that I've found a pretty good deal, I'm actually looking forward to it! No more fear of a channel like goltv being dropped.

Here's the discounts I got:
    $18 off/12 months (current promo)
    $10 off/5 months (referral bonus)
    $30 off/3 months (best buy promo)
    $20 off (go green discount)
    6 months free showtime

To get the best buy deal on top of their current promotion, call 888-333-7975 to order. To get the referral bonus, which gives $50 total to both the new customer and the referring customer, you can either find a friend who has DirecTV, or I will gladly share my account: 81472367. Please PM me if you use it, thanks!

9. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    For your information, the actual dish and lnb that gets attached to it can be used for either system (Dish or Direct TV). And for that matter, the Canadian system. Its only the receiver that is different. Turning the dish to a different direction and changing receivers would get you the other service. I'm sure your subscription (purchase) of DirectTV included a new dish but simply store the old dish (or keep it on your roof) as you might need it in the future as the satellite providers add more satellites in the arc at different locations. Just a tip....

SA

10. tnili

tnili New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The guide on my ViP 622 shows actual programming starting 8/29 1:00PM. I hope this means we get GolTV back then.

11. FootballerChick43

FootballerChick43 New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I have been emailing GolTV and Dish Network since the "negotiations" started. I finally get a reply from GolTV (who were extremely nice to me about the whole thing)asking for my address to send me a free gift. Anyone know what this is about?

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. got it. sent address. waiting for my t-shirt.

13. FootballerChick43

FootballerChick43 New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, its a t-shirt? I had no idea. Just sent the address.

14. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not accurate anymore. The dishes that they use now are significantly different. The technology is the same, but the dishes now have multiple LNBs and will only work right when pointed at their intended satellites, especially the new 5 LNB HD dishes.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just speculating. Its a cheap promo item they could send out, and that's what I expect.

:D

16. FelipeTampa

FelipeTampa New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I have waited for days to see if Dish Network (parent company: Echostar) and Gol TV settle their financial differences to no avail. I think we need to send more e-mails and put pressure on these two companies to get them to settle. They need to understand that we, consumers, are the ones who make their profits possible. Both of these companies are doing very well financially:
    1) Echostar's latest earnings for the second quarter were $483 million. See:
    http://sats.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=325964

2) Earlier this year SCP offered to buy 80% of Gol TV (owned by Enzo Francescoli and Paco Casal) for $200 million. See:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960548.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

If you haven't done so, please send your e-mails requesting an agreement. The e-mail addresses I have are:

info@goltv.tv
    executivecustomerservice@echostar.com
    ceo@echostar.com
    B2B.pr@echostar.com

At the end of the day, if they don't reach an agreement, let's take action where it hurts them: profits. Switch to another option where Gol Tv is broadcast.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I switched to Directv already. Screw Dish.

18. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Of course this would go to court, but perhaps they could drop TV Azteca America (of course it will cost them a penalty fee too) and use that money to offer a bit more to GolTV. I remember the Azteca deal being one of Dish Network's more expensive acquisitons when they first had the channel exclusively back in the early part of this decade, but it could be the company also lowered their broadcasting asking price now that there are so many outlets to their programmaing.

I would think Setanta would be open to receiving a new big stream of money form Dish Network for their channel and negotiate a deal for being permanent on Dish Latino if the channel isn't yet permanent. Just like Fox would be quite alright with getting more revenues from Dish. Though I agree the substitute of Fox Sports Espanol isn't that great of sub like the Dish Latino subscribers would get with Setanta.

Yeah I also have heard what spencer talks about. I remember at first you could still use both company's dishes interchangeably, you just had to buy different receivers, but after awhile they put something in the within LNBs to stop that.

19. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soon as I hire a lumberjack to cut down a 100' oak in my backyard I am switching too.

20. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not something w/in the LNB's, but completely independent satelites that have launched throughout the years. (I know, I subscribe to DISH and was a tech for DTV). The latest one was just launched at the end of last year for DTV and they should have close to 200 HD channels available by the end of 08/beginning of '09..that's what was projected last fall anyways. The companies currently share 1 satelite I believe.

The reason I even got the package with dish was because I haven't gone balls to the wall with HD (nor do I have the income to sutain that right now) and for GOLTv, w/o GolTV, there's really no reason for me to keep the programing. What sucks even worse, the DISHLatino package does not include FSC. Sure, I'd have FSEsp and ESPND...but there's some programming that I really enjoy on FSC, like Gambare J-League highlights, Football Asia, Fox Soccer Report and a few others. The only one losing in this crap is the customer really...:(

21. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    After 10 years, bye DISH.....

22. richo

richo Member

Jun 1, 2007
    California
    I was a Dish customer for 9 years before switching this summer to DirecTV. Dish told me I own the equipment so it's in my garage for now just in case the situation changes a year from now.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol TV was removed from Dish yesterday along with the message and the "replacement" station FSE. There is nothing there now.

24. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They better replace the channel with something else. Gol tv is counting against my bill.

25. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Do not hold your breath while waiting... They'll leave it like that, pouf! gone as if it was never there.