Alert: GolTV toils w/ DishNetwork

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Robdog, Aug 2, 2008.

1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    How many of you are conspiracy theorists?

Could "Cheap Charlie" be ganging up with "the mouse house" to try to snuff out GolTV?

("Cheap Charlie" hates "uncle Rupert" so I don't think those two are in cahoots.)

We all know that "the mouse house" can "wipe out" both GolTV and Setanta if it wants to because "the mouse house" is sitting on a pile of cash while both GolTV and Setanta are NOT making money.

==

How close are we to seeing a $20/month subscription channel "ESPN World HD" being launched in the U.S. market with EPL and La Liga?

2. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So what are all you folks who are switching to Direct TV gonna do when Dish merges with Direct? :rolleyes:
    It's all a matter of time, they tried it before the fcc denied them, but the talk is they are gonna try again now that the fcc gave the ok for the sirius/xm merger.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll hope Directv runs customer service and makes the business decisions. I have given Dish till the 18th to sort out Goltv. If not, Direct on the 20th.

4. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well it won't work that way. Dish will absorb Direct.

I still don't understand why everyone is putting all the blame on Dish. Gol Tv are the ones who demanded more money from Dish. Dish is a business, they are just doing what they need to do. Instead of pointing fingers at Dish, people should be putting more pressure on Gol tv. The resolution to all this is in their hands, not on Dish. You want Gol tv back on the air, then call & write to Gol tv and put pressure on them.

And I still don't see what people find appealing about Direct.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV

MLB Extra Innings

NFL Sunday Ticket

There isn't much of an appreciable difference in service, so content becomes foremost.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had customer service issues with Dish for a while, the latest was they re-scheduled an appointment without calling me. Then I found out the guy had two appointments cancelled and was looking for an install in my area.

Sure that's the installers, but it starts from the top.

Directv - has Goltv, has the NHL network, had Sunday ticket - 3 things I would like.

Goltv is a business as well, and if they have subscribers willing to drop Dish for Direct, maybe Charlie needs to rethink his stance.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody who signed a contract in 2007 and has successfully canceled Dish? When does the $13.33/month kick in?

8. golazo_usa

golazo_usa Member

Oct 2, 1999
    Is Setanta on free preview this opening weekend for the EPL? I just saw that Setanta is in the clear mode on my guide and saw programming on it.

I do remember reading something about free preview on DirecTV,
    but didn't know Dish had the same promo. This is for AT250 subscribers as I
    know Dish Latino subs had it for a while.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed the same thing this morning.

10. richo

richo Member

Jun 1, 2007
    California
    I agree with you regarding phone contact. The phone customer reps don't understand what we, soccer fans, want. To them all the channels are the same. However, I sent an e-mail which gives the responder much more time to reflect before responding. Responding with an “if you want to cancel, go ahead” is not good customer service. It is indifference. I would expect something more, perhaps “we'll give you a deal on Setanta” or something like that. When I called to cancel service (after already having installed DirecTV) I was transferred to an obviously more informed account representative who indeed did offer me such a deal. However, I want La Liga which Setanta does not offer. Also, why did they wait until I was actually cancelling. They should know that someone who is cancelling has already made other arrangements.

I too have heard the Dish/DirecTV merger rumours. But this time it sounds more like DirecTV acquiring Dish. This would make more sense to me as DirecTV is number one in the field. In personal experience in the SF Bay area I see at least a 5-1 difference in DirecTV dishes to Dish Network dishes.

Anyway, now I have La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A the English league and Champions League (also Libertadores and Brazil football).

11. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dish is not gonna care about a small handful of customers who are willing to drop dish because of one channel. Especially when there's no guarantee that Gol Tv will still be in business in a couple years time. Gol tv has more to lose out of all this.

That said, I still believe that the channel will be back on soon. Gol tv is still listed on the guide and on info page, and like i said, if Dish's intentions were to drop them completely, it would not be listed. it would be deleted completely and that's not the case.

I'm not worried. Worse comes to worse only a matter of time that la liga will be on fox soccer anyway. they showed the Real friendly the other night against frankfurt and the supercup will be on live tomorrow at 4pm on fox soccer.

12. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopefully setanta isnt a free preview....hopefully its permanent.

13. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i could care less about baseball or american football. I'm not into so called games that take 3-5 hours to play. lol. but that's just me.

Trust me, gol tv will be back on soon. And beside I don't think they will have the rights to la liga or bundesliga much longer anyway.

14. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lmao. yeah like they are gonna give a $15 a month channel away for free permanently.

15. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    See up here in southern Massachusetts its' the opposite. Dish outnumbers direct. That has a lot to do with large portuguese communities here, where direct offers none of the portuguese channels and have a very weak international lineup. And yes direct currently has more subscribers, dish is the faster growing company is known for having better equipment.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's great that you don't care. Maybe I should base my programming decisions on what you like?

17. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would at least want it until Gol tv comes back on the air, its only fair.

18. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried. No go on the install. ********ing oak tree. Apparently the Dish dish points a little more to the east and it was not a problem. Planned on chopping the tree down anyway as it's rotting and hangs over my house. The only problem I had was that mastec missed my appointment all together. I finally got a call from a QC guy that was in my driveway and wanted to follow up on the install. When I told him I hadn't seen an installer all day he started making calls and had someone on their way in a few minutes. He scoped the sight line and ultimately said it was no good. I kind of expected it though as the tree is big as hell. I also didn't expect the installer to show up in the first place. Isn't it funny how we automatically have less expectations for companies like this? Oh, well, gotta call a tree guy.

19. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm a long time happy Dish customer, but no GolTV is a deal breaker. I waited 2 weeks to see if they worked it out, but tomorrow I will go through with having AT&T U-verse internet TV & broadband installed.

:(

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same problem we have, except there's no way I'm going to cut down the best tree in our yard (plus it would cost a fortune to do it, cause it's huge). The residual gratitude I have for Dish allowing me to say "screw you" to Comcast has pretty much disappeared. Their customer service stinks, the DVR we have is barely functional, and now this.

21. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6125404

They showed Sunderland vs. L'Pool LIVE today and they'll show Man Utd. vs. Newcastle LIVE and Aston Villa vs. Man. City right after that tomorrow. Then it's argentine futbol. Not bad, but it would've been nice to have that AND the Bundesliga that has already started (for Dish Latino subscribers anyway).

Then again, it was nice to catch a lot of EPL action today in the morning on Setanta. It's gonna suck when Setanta's free preview ends though...and that's when I'll call DirecTV :D

22. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Then I guess we should just blindly believe you and follow your way :rolleyes:

When you talked about Dish being all over the place you live and the portuguese community and the international channels, it's obvious that you're favoring Dish in your posts, so please stop.
    FSC would go bankrupt if they were to grab La Liga's rights. They can barely stay afloat with the one league, the most expensive when it comes to TV rights, they have. Imagine adding another one. No more PPV and sub-licensing, please. Thanks.

23. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I thought Setanta became free when this whole GolTV thing started? No way it's permanent

Aren't Fox Soccer and Fox Espanol the same thing (just in different languages)? Maybe a little different programming? Also, anyone know if FSC is still doing Serie A this year? I know ESPN360 has it, and I thought I read something about ESPN getting rights, but I don't really see them putting matches on TV in the US?

This Goltv thing was funny timing for me, I was just about to switch to Dish for the price, cheap way to get DVR, HD, and the soccer channels, but the next day this happened. I saw what they did with the MLB package. I have relatives who have it, have seen them have this issue with other contract problems, figured I didn't want to go through that and changed my mind. It's nice that it's a lower price, but I guess there's a tradeoff there.
    Meanwhile I called Comcast (normally horrible customer service) retentions and dangled the possibility of switching and they gave me a year of HBO, Starz, and a nice amount off a month which makes it pretty equal to Dish, ended up working out well

24. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You should. You'll be surprised how much happier you would be and much time you would save not watching “sports” that take 5 hours to play. :p

25. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Of course I do. Don't get me wrong, they are far from perfect. But they are far superior to dish. Better equipment, better value, better international selection, better everything. I want gol tv, but i'm not gonna drop dish over it. especially when there's no guarantee they are gonna keep the rights to la liga.

lol. Do you even watch Fox Soccer? One league? Yeah ok. They added Serie A last season to the lineup they already had of EPL., , argentia, Usl, MLS, UEFA Cup, Copa Libertadores and International games they aired. And so far this season, they've started to show some spanish games, the Real friendly the other day against Frankfurt and they got the Spanish Super Cup tomorrow. So no reason they can't add La Liga, and if not I'm sure Setanta would. And you do realize that Fox Soccer is owned by News Corp. If you don't know who they are, look it up. You talk like Gol tv is some super company. Their contracts w/ La Liga, Bundesliga, and Copa del Rey end this season. And I can't see them retaining them.