Gold Cup - July 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought he was on Germany's U20 side.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been playing for both but odds are that he plays for the US. Ramos is very optimistic he's there for the US at the U20 World Cup

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    New and improved guesstimate at Groups:

USA, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba
    Portland, Salt Lake, Hartford

Mexico, Martinique, Canada, Panama/Guatemala
    (Atlanta, Denver, Dallas.)

Honduras, T&T, Haiti, El Salvador
    (N.J., Houston, Miami.)

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Has Klinsmann commented on what sort of squad we're bringing yet?

My recollection is the last time we competed in the Gold Cup in a Hex year without participating in the Confederations Cup, we took a fairly strong side -- Keller, Cherundolo, Beasley, McBride, Onyewu, Donovan, Pope, Mastroeni, Dempsey, Conrad, etc. I'm not sure why everyone is simply assuming that we're going to blow it off this time.

5. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B team. I'm guessing the squad will mostly be players who would have played in last summer's Olympics and a few veterans.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Younger players who aren't established with the senior team. My guess is that means players like Corona, Shea, Agudelo etc.

7. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    and you could throw in the likes of a holden, who you hesitate to risk in thr hex

8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    My guess at Gold Cup Roster (largely avoiding MLS players who are in-season):

G: Guzan, Yelldell, Clark.
    Top 3 Euro keepers after Howard. No need to bring an MLS keeper who is starting games for his club team (Hall, Johnson or Hamid).

CB: Whitbread, Ream, Gonzalez, Besler.
    Gonzalez and Besler are exceptions to "no MLS players" rule. If any of these guys play in the qualifiers, then they won't be there.
    Next in line: John Anthony Brooks, Michael Orozco.

FB: Lichaj, Castillo, Garza, Spector.
    Spector is still young at 26. Only bring Chandler if he has yet to be cap-tied by that date. Morales should also be in the running.

CM: Williams, Kljestan, Diskeruud, Holden.
    Also consider: Edu, Feilhaber, Conor O'Brien. Don't want Torres. Bring Williams due to his youth (only 23).

Wingers: Gatt, Corona, Bedoya, Shea.
    Close call: Joe Gyau, Freddy Adu.
    Also consider: Zusi (if doesn't get playing time during qualifiers).

Forwards: Boyd, Wooten, Bruin, Agudelo.
    If Charlie Davies heats up this spring, I would also call him into the Gold Cup squad.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Ah, well that explains it then. I must have missed that announcement.

Interesting contrast between Arena and Klinsmann then.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No "announcement" yet.

A lot of assumptions being made

Klinsmann has talked about a certain rotation of the squd between qualifiers and the Gold Cup...........as its a very busy summer for the USMNT (and we also have a U20 World Cup and a U17 World Cup to hopefully keep an eye on).

But it remains to be seen what the squads will look like. And we do also need to be mindful that the MLS season will be in full swing. So for instance, we're not going to take 4 players from the same team to the Gold Cup (for instance say................Morrow, Wondolowski, Beitashour, and Alan Gordon from San Jose)

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the concerns of MLS teams will matter much during the Gold Cup. During the last Gold Cup, the Red Bulls had 5 players taken, Salt Lake 4, Sporting 4, and Houston 3. Granted, this wasn't just because of one team taking four players, but ultimately the Gold Cup is a FIFA date and coaches can and should take the players they want.

That's not a bad roster, but personally I see this Gold Cup as a great time to test a lot of MLS guys. Most of our top squad plays abroad, but they won't be here, so I expect to see more MLS players, not fewer. For instance, during the 2011 Gold Cup, 6 MLS players were on the US squad. But during 2009 Gold Cup, we had 15 MLS players.

I know this is inconvenient for the league and its teams, which is why I think it should take a couple week summer break during the Gold Cup's opening rounds. Use the time for early US Open Cup matches (when most teams don't play their full A-teams anyway) and international friendlies.

Atouk and tab5g repped this.
  12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the quotes I recall seeing on that topic. I agree that we're likely to see a good number of MLS guys.

http://www.tropigol.com/2012/10/17/klinsmann-plans-to-have-2-teams-in-2013-qualifying-and-gold-cup/

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agree with all of this.

The only (slight) difference is that the 2011 GC had a Confed Cup spot on the line, while this one in 2013 is relatively meaningless. JK might have said (or there could have been other indications) that he may limit his Gold Cup call-ups to no more than one per MLS club.

(And yes, that doesn't account for how other Concacaf NTs will call their players, and yes every coach/NT is within their rights per FIFA to call and have any players they want.)

Atouk repped this.
  14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As FlipsLikeAPancake pointed out above, we called up many more MLS players in '09 (no Confed Cup slot) than we did in '11 (Confed cup slot). Much of the US second tier/up-and-comers play in MLS, so while I don't necessarily want to lose multiple players from my club team (Pontius, Kitchen, Hamid?), I think JK should call the best squad he can after he rests whoever he wants to rest from the A team.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's possible that coaches can take whoever they want............but they normally don't.

Usually there's a dialougue going on between the USSF staff and the MLS (and Euro/Mexico) coaches throughout the the year. You want to maintain a positive working relationship with the clubs.

The Supporter's Shield does mean something to MLS clubs now that a CCL place is on the line. And if you take 5 players from a single club this time............the management at that club won't be pleased. And they'd be less likely to release any players for future events. (In the manner that Hertha Berlin seems to be unwilling to release our youth players for non-FIFA tournaments now such as U20 World Cup qualifying]

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, but there's also the possibility that the "Jan camp" was/is some form of JK's "C" team to feature MLS and other on-break players, while the summer Gold Cup will be JK's true "B" team to feature mostly UEFA-club players who are in their off-season but not among the "A" squad used during the June WCQs.

Regardless, the 2013 Gold Cup (and perhaps the 2015 Gold Cup) and how the rosters are created for each, might give us some more insight and points of comparison for JK relative to his predecessor.

Atouk repped this.
  17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree. I'm just not sure how deep the UEFA-based "B" pool is and how much of a squad of 23 you can fill from it. It'll be interesting to see whether he dips to "C" guys for the Gold Cup just because they play in Europe and are off (Frank Simek played the last time we won the Gold Cup -- might not hurt to give him a call. ;)) or whether he calls the strongest B team he can, which would seem to me to be MLS-heavy.

tab5g repped this.
  18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure there's a dialogue, and if a player isn't likely to feature, then yeah he might be left behind. But I don't think the situation is analogous to Hertha at all. Hertha doesn't care about the US team, and doesn't want players like Brooks flying across the world to play in youth qualification, because there's no upside for Hertha. For American teams, not only are they generally more cooperative and patriotic about the US team, but there also are very real incentives for them to cooperate. If I'm an academy player, why would I sign with an MLS team that blocks me from playing with youth national teams? Furthermore, having players play on the national team increases their exposure and transfer value.

Atouk repped this.
  19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    (I get what you're saying, in some ways about the patriotism and whatnot), but outside of that, why would your analysis only apply "if I'm an academy player" in MLS, yet not "if I'm a young player in Hertha's system" (or any foreign club's system)?

Why would I sign with Hertha if "that blocks me from playing with youth national teams" (and my potential in to or aid toward the senior NT) and why would Hertha (for example) not want the benefits that could come from YNT appearances and the potential for increased exposure and transfer value?

Yes, they're not completely analogous (the Hertha and MLS situations), but that is perhaps more so for the the travel demand of UEFA-club players back to Concacaf, relative to MLS-club players closer to Concacaf locations. (But other than that the club v country dynamic isn't all that different, imo, simply because a player plays for a club outside of his NT's home/region.)

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Hertha doesn't need that exposure. Anyone scouting Hertha probably isn't going to care whether that player plays for US youth qualification events or not. But if someone is scouting an MLS team, they'll probably wonder "why isn't this guy in the US national team setup?"

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I understand that.

We are getting very close to an MLS club denying USYNT callups............by the way.

Last U20 cycle DC United was publicly reluctant to let Perry Kitchen leave for U20 qualifying/world cup, as he was slated to have a role on their team. They did let him go to qualifying, which isn't a FIFA event, but they didn't seem thrilled about it. [It's a CONCACAF event, so teams aren't required to release players.]

This U20 cycle, it's possible Luis Gil may be in the same position with RSL.

22. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would RSL really insist Gil not go to qualifying though? RSL's season debut is on March 3rd, the last day of the CONCACAF U20 tournament. But I'm sure they can work out an agreement where Gil will be released from the squad after the quarterfinal on February 26th, because winning that game qualifies the US for the U20 World Cup, and that's all that really matters.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gold cup first XI

--------Agudelo
    Shea--------------Gatt
    -------Corona-Diskerud
    --------------Kitchen
    Castillo-Besler-Gonzalez-Lichaj
    ----------Hamid/Johnson

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    The main difference between 2009 Gold Cup and the 2013 Gold Cup, is that now we DO have enough players outside of MLS to make up a "B Squad", without having to take too many MLS players. That was not really the case in 2009. That's why I see Jurgen taking mostly fringe Euro players (and Mexico) who do not get significant playing time in the qualifiers. Then he'll sprinkle in a few MLS players to fill the gaps (main MLS candidates are: Gonzalez, Besler, Shea, Agudelo, Feilhaber, Bruin).

25. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Let's not forget they let Alfredo Morales come to camp during the middle of their season when they did not have to. Obviously they don't rate Morales, and/or they believe the experience with Jurgen could be beneficial for him in the long-run. Morales' contract is up in June anyhow, seems like they're unlikely to resign him.