Gol TV Being Removed from Directv sports pack 9/13

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Shane70, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Shane70

Shane70 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    Celtic FC

[​IMG]Just got this email from Directv

"Dear Shane,

beIN SPORT - NEW! AMERICA'S EXCLUSIVE INTERNATIONAL SPORTS CHANNEL

To show our commitment to delivering you the best value in TV entertainment, we're happy to announce that DIRECTV has added beIN SPORT to your Sports Pack in HD and SD on channel 620. beIN SPORT is the new home of some of the world's most exciting soccer, including Spain's "La Liga", Italy's "Series A" and France's "Ligue 1". beIN SPORT, is the multi-platform sports destination that brings to the passionate fan all the live game action, news, and analysis of the top leagues around the planet, as well as exclusive and never available before content. From European and Latin American live soccer games to news and in-depth analysis, beIN SPORT guarantees first row access to top soccer leagues and major sports properties - from live games to one-on-one interviews.

With the addition of beIN SPORT, GolTV on channel 627 will no longer be available effective 9/13 on Sports Pack.

DIRECTV carries more soccer than any other cable or satellite provider in the U.S. - we are your source for the most international soccer from North America, South America, and Europe.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV"

[​IMG]

2. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's being removed from the sports pack, not being removed from directv. It will still be available in the spanish pack. Mods, can you edit the misleading title of this thread?

3. Mark H

Mark H New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    This is irritating. So now no Bundesliga for me.

4. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OP needs to improve his reading comprehension.

5. Shane70

Shane70 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I do not need to improve my reading comprehension. Nowhere in the email does it say it will be staying on the Spanish Package. Show me where it does. I have read all the posts here, at DBSTalk.com, Satelliteguys.us, etc. At this point, it is just speculation that it is staying on the Spanish Pack. When I see something official from Directv, I will believe it.

6. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    The statement stays that is no longer part of the Sport pack, but it does not stay that is no longer on Directv.

7. kalmondolgin

kalmondolgin Member

Oct 5, 2011
    has anyone tried calling DirecTV CS and complaining to see what they will do?
    i complained about the Viacom thing and they gave me $20 off per month for a year.. Why am I guessing that the Spanish package is $20/month and I am going to end up back where I started to see Bundesliga...

8. Shane70

Shane70 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I see your point. If it does stay on the Spanish package, I stand corrected and apologize for the misleading information. I just took offense at being called a dumbass by another poster

SYoshonis repped this.
  9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any idea if it will still stay in HD o nthe spanish pack???

10. GladbachRennes

GladbachRennes New Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Does anyone know if GolTv will just sell their Bundesliga rights to BeIN or Fox or Espn? The ratings on the Bundesliga for spanish speaking viewing is so small it doesn't make sense to keep the rights. Plus it will make a lot of people who do want to watch the Bundesliga in English miss out. I think if fox were to pick up the rights it would spark more of an interest in Bundesliga for soccer fans in the USA, But then again they probably would have live schedule conflict with the BPL. UGH! just sell the rights GolTv if you cant provide your viewers with live bundesliga in english.

11. inter1097

inter1097 New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    That e-mail is somewhat vague. Will it only be on Spanish Pack? Will it be available to everyone on 456? Will it be on DirecTV at all?

12. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    First of all, Bundesliga accounts for 8-10 live hours of programming for GOL-TV (30 hours of overall programming with the repeats of matches). Bundesliga will go to another provider when GOL-TV files bankruptcy. Relegation from the Sports Pack basically cuts GOL-TVs subscriptions by up to 66% - that is the real problem here. But we have been discussing this "relegation" for months so I don't believe this was a surprise to GOL-TV and perhaps even negotiated when BeIn was placed in their channel spot. I see the date of 9/13 as interesting as its right after the upcoming rounds of World Cup qualifiers. Thursday shutoff? A little strange.

As far as the future, its hard to see how GOL-TV can survive considering the revenue hit they are about to take. If there is a future, it will involve grabbing more Central and South American league matches to justify its Spanish Pack existance. But in reality, there is nothing out there that could make GOL-TV a viable business. Perhaps BeIn wasn't all that crazy to not buy them afterall when a firesale is likely in the near future. As far as where the Bundesliga ends up, FOX is the LEAST likely candidate! Bundesliga matches clash directly with EPL kickoff times and the league isn't strong enough (eyeballs) to justify bringing it into the FSCPlus realm which is quickly becoming hungry for more inventory.

BeIn doesn't seem to care that league kickoff times clash as they are in a "grab all" mode right now with a likely gameplan of launching more channels in the future. For me, ESPN is the likeliest place Bundesliga ultimately finds a home. They already own the rights in the southern hemisphere its just a question of are they willing to get into a pissing match with BeIn if they decide to bid. Same goes for the Brasileiro and Mexican Ascenso.

That's my take from the sidelines. GOL-TV just becomes another Spanish Pack sports channel for the rest of this season. Don't see it existing after June 2013. The only way things change faster is if BeIn and GOL-TV already made their deal which I wouldn't discount.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

13. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Goltv has Austria vs Germany qualifier on 9/11.

14. BVBUnited

BVBUnited New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Is it possible GolTV will no longer broadcast in english? I could see them selling english rights of Bundesliga to ESPN3, and continuing on with just the spanish channel.

It sucks, just when I thought I would get 5 HD English language Bundesliga matches per week, they cancel it.

15. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Is there any precedence in the past of Direct TV dropping an HD channel but keeping it in SD??

16. JaxHullMan

JaxHullMan Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just get the spanish package - I'm watching the Copa Super right now - no brainer for the soccer fan. its about 15.00 / month

17. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So basically to get all the soccer one wants you must have the Sports pack $12.99, Fox Soccer $15 and En Espanol $15 which totals out to $42.99 PLUS your regular Entertainment package.

18. JaxHullMan

JaxHullMan Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well - yeah. if you were already paying for the sports pack and FS+ then it would be 15.00 more - all kinds of South American soccer on the spanish option - games on everynight

19. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    To put this into perspective....starting September 13th, the Spanish Package on DirecTV will have Fox Deportes, ESPN Deportes, BeInSports Espanyol and GOL-TV. Between the 4 channels, all major competitions from europe and many south american leagues will be covered - BUT NONE OF THE CHANNELS ARE IN HD!!!

DirecTV can make a major step in solidifying themselves as THE PREMIER destination for soccer fans by swithing on the HD for these channels. All of the channels transmit in HD - its the provider (DirecTV) that is not offering it. I know there would be many non-spanish speaking fans adding the package. So go ahead DirecTV...make my day!!!

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

20. JaxHullMan

JaxHullMan Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol TV on 456 is HD

21. JaxHullMan

JaxHullMan Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOL TV again has 5 Bundesliga games this weekend - great

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes please!! I've been dying to see libertadores in HD!! Make it happen Directv!!!

23. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Here is the note I received from DirecTV today. Two points to highlight: (1) They will still have English and Spanish. (2) SD only.

"GolTV is still available in DIRECTV's En Espanol packages, available in English and Spanish, offering over 1,500 games per year from some of the best leagues in the world, including Italy and Spain. The channel offers the excitement of live matches, informative programming, 2 live daily news updates, and tournament play. Customers with En Espanol packages can still enjoy the games broadcast on GolTV in standard definition."

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news for fans of the U.S. Open Cup, as GolTV has the final the next two years.

25. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a safe bet that there won't be a GOL TV by the time next year's US Open Cup final rolls around.

MasterShake29 repped this.