Going into this round we needed CB's; Going into next round we still do!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by West Coast Futbol, Oct 16, 2012.

1. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst wasnt good enough to play CB for Nordsjaelland. He is certainly not national team quality as a centerback.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There's a separate thread already for Klinsmann's 'pre-Russia' conference call, but in terms of CB name-dropping ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...uergen-klinsmann-discusses-u-s-national-team/

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep, he's the natural replacement when Omar leaves L.A., which could be this winter.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Demerit is a big part of why Vancouver were able to limp into a playoff spot, and is arguably their most important player. He's one of the best defenders in MLS, actually. Nevertheless, I don't look to him as anything but an emergency "Oh crap, we're out 3 defenders this camp!" type of a call-up. A big part of that is that he is the least capable player that we have to play the high-line or the play-out-of-the-back games that Klinsmann prefers to play. If we have to deploy Jay Demerit, we have to fundamentally change the way the team deploys.

He picked up some kind of injury last night, and I don't know how bad it is or if it would be a factor for how long.

5. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to bring some data with that statement? I've only watched a few of his games with Nordsjaelland with him playing RB, but he definitely looked like one of their best players. I think it's more that they feel like they have competent CBs and prefer him at RB... mostly to add to the attack.

6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant really back it up. Its pretty much what ive heard from working with EA & watching a few matches where he played centerback (a while ago). He was benched as a centerback & reinvented as a fullback. He plays right back because he is better at that position now & Okore & I believe, Mtiliga are simply better.

7. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Gonzalez just had a good match in front of JK. Too bad he had a moment of confusion that had him jumping for the Quakes grounder that went through his legs and into the goal; oops! Hopefully JK did not see Gonzalez in the previous match vs Vancouver where Gonzalez was slow to challenge a great strike from Jamaican Mattocks that put Vancouver up 1 nil.

There is something missing with Omar. IMO it is athleticism. He just takes too long to get into position and gets caught trying to compensate.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has the turning radius of a semi. I just don't see him doing the job against top teams.

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Seb Hines starts for top team in Championship. If that means anything....

10. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at fault for both goals during the play offs. As a CB, that means both of his performances were at best below average.

11. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    That is it. When he plays against other tractors like Lenhart he does OK.

12. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    it's a 3.5 hour flight from frankfurt to moscow...

coming from the left coast that's a long long trip with toms of jet lag

do the euros, unless ghe mls talent are well eliminated and can travel early

sounds like gooch gets a shot, fine with me, it's a friendly

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always had the impression that Seb was maybe available to the USA but maybe not. Given our track record with dual-nationals right now, I suspect that USSF has spoken with Seb and made a decision whether he's worth the investment of time and effort. He's quite a good (but not great) player.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would switch in a heartbeat. All he needs is to be asked

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I wouldn't need to switch - how come no one's asking me?

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to hear. Need to go read up on his game to see if he's a good fit for our high-line, pressing style.

17. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Moment of confusion? You realize that players have to decide whether to jump before the ball is struck, right?

Turned out badly in this case, but that doesn't mean it was a bad decision (Sean Franklin also jumped next to Gonzalez). A low bouncer from 30 yards or so should be saveable, as this one was.

18. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went through the wall, not under it. As a professional CB, you need to be able to keep the wall tight enough to prevent the ball from getting through.

19. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    no

20. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Agree and this could be gooch's last chance to get continued as a regular. I hope he makes it; injuries are a bad way to diminish a career.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu has played a few minutes for Malaga? Then again, watch Edu get called up despite not making the 18 for Stoke. Klinsmann should send a message to Edu and not reward him with a callup.

22. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Edu gets called in, then JK's "you have to be playing regularly for your club" rule and the credibility of his word as a whole are shot IMO. The dude has played 10 minutes all season.

Konut repped this.
  23. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    gooch and edu being euro based have an edge in the call up

i can see both being starting cb against russia

id go with fabian on the left and cameron at rb

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no Besler?? come on man....

25. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Did JK really lay down a 100% bright line rule that no club playing time = no call up? Or was playing time presented as one of many factors that would determine these types of decisions. My recollection is that his statements have been closer to the latter. Regardless, something tells me JK doesn't care a whole lot where his credibility stands on BigSoccer.

dwsmith1972 repped this.