Going into this round we needed CB's; Going into next round we still do!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by West Coast Futbol, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You cant say Klinsi didnt try. He brought Morales in several times. He wants Brooks for sure and when you compare Brooks to, oh, say, Besler or Parke, I could see the rationale, couldnt you?

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yup. Whenever you see a guy go down and get immediately subbed off with a non-contact injury, that's when you hold your breath and figure that he may well be out for months.

I don't think he was a big part of the equation, but this is really unfortunate for Demerit. It's only been a couple of seasons but he's had a very successful MLS career since he left Watford. They're really going to miss him in Vancouver.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Okugo has started Philly's first two games this season in central defense, and yesterday he was chosen as MOTM by the MLS website.

Can anyone provide more feedback on how they think he has looked in the position?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok as bad as he looked vs Honduras, he looked good vs Mexico.

So maybe he is the answer after all :p

BTW I prefer Cameron as CB.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Cameron very much and was glad JK pulled him into the squad in 2012. But at least based on the last 2 games, Cameron seems to have a nervous, unsettled, jumpy aspect to his game. Gonzo and Besler were more calm and composed. Still way too few games to be sure, and I hope the rest of 2013 is about letting these 3 guys show what they can do and compete for the 2 starting spots. Competition among 3 prime age CBs is a good thing.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cameron did the business when he played at centerback at Azteca. If he's getting zero minutes at club level at centerback and there are other options available, then he can stay at fullback.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was playing RB and he is not very good there.

And this

Yes Cameron looked as good if not better than Gonzo back in August playing CB.

8. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013

Okugo was my pick for MLS CB to break out and join the national team this year. Unfortunately, Klinsmann didn't pick any younger MLS CB for the Gold Cup squad, so it's unlikely we see any break through. Is camp cupcake too late to make enough of an impression to be seriously considered for Brazil?

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most of our coaches have always taken 4 CBs to the WC, right now we have Gonzalez and Cameron for the big CB and only Besler for the small CB meaning a spot still open. It could be an old timer like BOCA or maybe another big like Brooks.

My guess Camp Cupcake would be too late unless he is way better than BOCA, EDU or Cameron.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im hoping John or Okugo get a nod in camp cupcake and show well enough to make a case.

11. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013

I wonder if Klinsmann will pick 2 MLS CBs over Besler and Gonzo, rather than letting them get more minutes together.