Goff: "Thriving in Toronto"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bootsy Collins, May 19, 2007.

1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, I don't think this is much of a "novelty" with them. They pretty much seem to get it.

2. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well with 14k season tickets and a couple of thousand of half season packages plus single game tickets (what there are of them) selling well, you won't see the novelty wearing off this season no matter what the weather.

The big question for us is next season and the season ticket renewals although with that waiting list growing, I don't think it will drop off very much if at all.

B

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Based upon what?

4. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    The assumption in your message is that tickets purchased means butts in the seats. It does not. Hence my point about the novelty.

I agree with you that the first year is probably fine, esp. w/ your excellent full and half season ticket sales. But performance trumps everything. If TFC doesn't provide an entertaining (and at least occasional winning) performance on the field, people won't have the motivation to show up and occupy the seats they have bought.

5. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True enough and based on entertainment value, the fans are at least content at the moment but certainly, the team will have to show improvement but winning two out of three in the homestand is a reasonable enough sign.

For this season, I am not worried. I do believe that people will fill their seats (or at least stand in front of them). The real test as I see it is renewals.

B

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great review, nothing much to add except to say (as far as the Barra goes) we aren't competeing with Toronto, we're supporting United.

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what -- Saturday looked like an event. Full house, travelling supporters, etc. Now compare that with the "atmosphere" at the Swamp or Kansas. So for the league and for soccer in North America I say welcome TFC.

"Feck Off, Toronto FC
    You ain't got no history,
    4 MLS and a CONCACAF Cup
    that's what we call history" :D :D

Stolen and adopted from Liverpool taunt of Chelsea FC

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think if you put DCU in a 20,000 stadium, we'd probably sell close to 14K season tix. And our supporter groups could fill up a section behind the goal like in Toronto ... just as lound and energetic.

The rest of the stadium would probably be a little quieter than Toronto's "quiet" sections ... but that would be the only noticeable difference. We'd still sell out a bunch of games with top class atmosphere.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you're quite optimistic :)

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah ... it's the whole Sudamericana thing got me walking on clouds

11. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind...

<insert smiley face thingy here>

KGDG
    Come On United (States and DC)
    www.screaming-eagles.com
    Anthropology in the field

12. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Let me just state the obvious. People waving team apparel and drinking beer doesn't mean they 'get it'. Only time will tell if this support holds up. I think it will. Actually, I really hope it will, but will wait to see if it does.

BTW, I haven't looked at the TFC roster. How many Brazilians do they have?

13. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    None.

We have two and the Brazilian flag seen in the background is ours! :)

14. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    That was my underlying question. Thanks. :)

15. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally got to watch the game last night and to be honest, I was more annoyed than impressed by the TFC crowd. It may be just me, but it seemed that a lion's share of the noise that they made was booing the official on every call that went against them.

Do we sound that way on TV? Man, I hope not. If you're going to play physical soccer like MoJo has clearly asked his boys to play, there are going to be calls against you. Informed soccer fans know that and don't boo with equal vigor on every single call.

But what do I know? I thought the penalty was a clear foul. :eek:

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During games we aren't dominating or winning - yes, we sound like that on TV - only we say "******** You, Ref" way more than they did - I only heard them twice. During a bad run of play, we'll do it for every single call, even the good ones ;)

I didn't think of them so much booing the ref per se, but booing our guys who fouled, or our guys who drew fouls ........... I'll pay more attention next time, if I can hear the crowd over the announcers telling me how awesome the crowd is ;)