Goff: D.C. United selling Andy Najar to Anderlecht

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Atouk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Andy Najar is the kind of talent MLS needs to keep to make MLS the "better stage" to change attitudes such as yours.

Thx,

Jay!

tab5g, Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nothing wrong with being a feeder league. We just need to have enough good players like Najar so they won't missed as much when they leave. That day is slowly coming.

dadman, Barbieri, Boloni86 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Every club in the world is a feeder club except maybe a couple dozen super clubs at the top of the food chain.

If there's no clubs above you coveting your players then you have a problem

Look at all the great Spanish players playing abroad (Mata, Silva, Arteta, Azpilicueta, Monreal, Reina etc ...). Does this mean that La Liga sucks too?

4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not exactly, saying that Flemish is a Dutch dialect is like saying American is an English one; Flemish IS Dutch, the pronunciation is slightly different and a few words change here and there but it's exactly the same language, grammar etc. Just like American English and British English. Walloon is the same way with French, probably some small difference here and there, like in other French speaking countries (to say 70 for example in France you say "soixante-dix" but in Switzerland you say "septante")

Barbieri and Winoman repped this.
  5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Belgium, you have both Belgian French and Walloon. I think the original poster may have confused Belgian French with Walloon; many in Belgium speak Belgian French, but Walloon is dying. Belgian French is like you say -- small differences between the language and standard French (e.g. as envisioned by L'Academie Francaise) but Walloon is significantly more different than that. It is not simply "French + small differences."

Barbieri and Winoman repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and Belgian French speakers consider their French to be superior to what is spoken in France itself. Back in the day, if you were studying French at the Foreign Service Institute one was given several weeks with a speaker of Belgian French just before taking the fluency exam.

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks, I was unaware of the Walloon language itself! It sounds like it's in a similar position to Gaelic in Ireland and Scotland or the Romansh language in Switzerland, small languages spoken by few that are gradually disappearing although their respective governments are trying to save them (for example making them official languages of the country, with others)

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    $2 million.

Not worth it. Not even close to being worth it. Not even close to being close to being worth it.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to have some fun before the thread was locked. I hope it was as delightful to read for you as it was for me.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was out of town all week; just got back last night. Was it reported this week that that was the amount?

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    No, that's the same number that was bandied about when it happened.

I was commenting on how very much it cost DCU.