Goff: D.C. United selling Andy Najar to Anderlecht

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Atouk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is good to hear. Anderlecht probably said ,"all we could offer is 2million....but we can talk about taking a chunk of his next transfer amount. 20% ok?"

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's listed under the roster rules and guidelines on the league's website. Goff has also mentioned it in his posts on Najar's transfer.

Teams get 75% of the transfer fee for homegrown players. Goff reported Najar was sold for $3 million. 75% of $3 million is $2.25 million. Of that, $650k goes to the team as an allocation, while the rest goes to the club to use for other purposes.

3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    650k for the roster and 1.6m for the rest of the club is great business and with it being a homegrown player it suggests we're ahead of the curve on how MLS teams will be expected to build themselves in the near future. Hamid will likely be the next one to go this route, and we'll trot out Willis and Korb who are both legit starters in MLS.

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What does the 'other purposes' money go to? Could it go to paying for a transfer fee to a player?

5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snazzy new marketing campaign.

"We make stars."

Bolivianfuego and shawn12011 repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't been aware that only $650k could go as allocation money. That's a bummer.

Since, in addition to replacing Najar, we've still got to come up with at least one forward that knows which way the goal is (since we lost two such forwards, and the two forwards we've brought in haven't demonstrated any ability to score goals) *and* someone that can play DeRo's role when DeRo goes out injured (since we lost Boskovic), $650k isn't much to use to fill those holes.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. DC can bring in a player from a Euro league even after Jan 31 because the MLS window, the relevant window, is still open.

tab5g repped this.
  8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, it's $650k of allocation money and about $600k in cap space (Najar+Salihi). That's quite a bit to work with by anyone's standard.

And that's only counting cap space for those two players. We should have quite a bit more after Wolff, Dudar, and Santos are factored in (I say Rafael for Boskovic is a wash in terms of cap space). Point being, we have a lot to work with, and I think Najar's transfer is the catalyst for other, more significant moves.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? They lost Rico Clark to Europe for a few years, they lost Geoff Cameron, there were (lowball) offers for DeRo, Stu Holden went to Bolton, Nate Jaqua left for Austria...that's just off the top of my head.

Sorry, that dog doesn't hunt. I wonder if any team has lost more players to Europe over the last 5 years than Houston!

EDIT: Someone already pointed this out.

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I just read up on it too. I knew about the 75%, but not the 650k cap that a team can use for allocation. Can the rest go as a downpayment for a stadium? We can name part of the stadium after Andy. Maybe section 114, 214 and 314 or something.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we actually do some work with it. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another starter-level player before the season and then another in the summer. It could be the catalyst for more moves. We do need to make those moves though. Also, isn't Salihi's cap number 335k or whatever DPs are these days. His cash cost + Andy's is around the 600k you mentioned, but it's under/around 500k in cap space. Still, when you add in the 650k in allocation, we could definitely do something or some things with that.

12. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    The dollar amount is good, particularly. I think people tend to forget that each year Najar was an extremely slow starter, then pretty much carried the team in the second half of each season. My impression is that coaches prefer more consistency. I'm also of the opinion it's what Najar wants, and in DCUnited tradition, the team will support the player's career. As we've seen with guys like Etcheverry, Moreno, and Arce, it does eventually pay dividends.

Whoever said that the league is a feeder league is dead-on. If DCUnited can become "the team that furthers young players' careers" then we'll be in for several exciting, if not erratic seasons. Like it or not, erractic is BS.com's love affair, particularly this board. Ultimately, once a stadium complex, with an attending sports academy attached, is attained, wouldn't it be something if DCUnited was considered the Ajax of North America? I know for a fact, that's the goal of RSL.

Boloni86 and Barbieri repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    DeRosario being the exception that proves the rule.

Thx,

Jay!

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    My only worry is that they don't use the $650,000 on the roster. They'll be like "we can offset our RFK losses for 2 years with this money"

But if they re-invest this money combined with the Salihi savings we should be due a DP and one more starter.

I'm sure they don't spend it all at once though. Always smart to keep allocation money on hand. If saving allocation money means having extra cash on hand to renegotiate the likes of Kitchen and DeLeon, I'd be OK with that too

Barbieri repped this.
  15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ajax even still considered the Ajax of Europe? They are certainly still sending players to bigger leagues, but I don't hear about them as much as I used to.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    They did knock Man City out of the CL this year.

And they still provide a steady stream of talent to the top clubs in Europe

Stekelenburg - Roma
    Emanuelson - Milan
    Suarez - Liverpool
    Anita - Newcastle
    Vermaelen - Arsenal

That's just off the top of my head

Edit: just thought of a few more : Huntelaar, De Jong, Sneijder, Pienaar and our very own Sonny Silooy

Barbieri repped this.
  17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just a note ... at $3mil Najar is the 10th biggest transfer in Anderlecht history.

Barbieri repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize they made it past the group stage this year. That is huge for Ajax given their recent form in the CL. I thought Dortmund and Real made it out of that group.
    I know the 3 big names there but forgive me that I don't know Anita or Emanuelson.
    I just remember when they were a dominant club domestically and did well in Europe regularly.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    They didn't make it out of the group but eliminating Man City was a private victory for me personally. I hate EPL clubs in CL

IMO Basel was the team of the year last season for doing it to ManU

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Man City just as much although I don't mind EPL clubs in the CL. The group eliminated them though, not just Ajax, right? I thought their loss to Dortmund sealed it, not a game vs. Ajax, but maybe I had the order of the games wrong. Top two go to the next round. 3rd place team goes to Europa League.
    Anyhow, back to Anderlecht...
    Andy is going there and I wish him well. I'm glad to hear about the $ value of the deal, and more importantly the sell-on clause. That will (or at least it should) placate those that wanted DC to wait until the summer or next winter to sell Andy. It seems like Andy wanted to leave, but it would have taken a really good year with DC (and Honduras) to make a really big jump in the transfer fee. If Andy has a good year with Anderlecht and Honduras and gets sold in a couple of years, DC will get some additional $. Its kind like hedging your risk AND also getting on with the rebuilding of the roster now rather than waiting until the summer or next winter. I'll miss seeing him on the field though. He was fun to watch.

Boloni86 repped this.
  21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I feel like somebody stabbed me in the back... I mean, I knew this day would have come sooner or later, but I thought we'd see Andy run on RFK grass one more season. Especially since the last image we have of him is his red card for throwing the ball to the referee...
    I honestly feel DC Utd has lost its best player at all and that - with Boskovic departure as well - the club ambitions are re-dimensioned... Just hope to be wrong...
    I can't even wish Andy all the best, since Anderlecht is one of my biggest foe worlwide. I hope he'll do good personally but that the team will suck

Barbieri repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree, Andy this last season improved dramatically, he became a complete player, a real monster. I can't even think how many times he was the best player on the field without question.
    Shea comes from a year in which he was injured and full of problems for a long time. Things in Dallas - ask any of their fans - started changing for better once Ferreira returned, not Shea. I like Shea but in a far future I can see Andy getting much further ahead than him... The reason why Shea sold for better money is that in English soccer there's a lot more money floating around than in Belgian one.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Shea also sold for more because clubs scout USMNT more than Honduras NT.

24. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS having the transfer window open longer and more cap space available, we should be able to sign a couple of proven players to help the squad out.

EPL clubs can afford to pay more in transfer fees too.

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the main reason Shea sold for so much. Depending on the amounts and percentages of "bonuses and sell-on clauses" Najar might be worth more than Shea by the end.

Barbieri repped this.