Goff: D.C. United selling Andy Najar to Anderlecht

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Atouk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Zagloba

Zagloba Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Baltimore
    Don't like the sale, but think his talent was being wasted here, playing on the back line.

Saltenya94 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC gets a LOT of allocation money. If they put it to good use, this is a good deal for DC. Because even MLS' best RB isn't the key to winning championships. Having MLS' best attacking players or even central defenders is. I hope they bring in a stud central defender in the mold of the 2010 version of Olave, or Bermudez, etc.

DCUSA repped this.
  3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm going to have to find a new favorite player on the team now.

I'm leaning towards Kitchen at this point

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So there's a correlation between a player being your favorite and that player leaving United?

I really think Pajoy should be your new favorite.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Kitchen, IMO, can be the future Mike Bradley.

QuietSide repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    And Ashton is my favorite coach

7. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    That is the present reality of MLS.

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. As I said, I'm not upset about selling Najar. I think it's great. And I won't be upset about selling Hamid some day, or Pontius, or whoever. We are a feeder league-- hell we've worked hard to become a feeder league.

And I applaud our club's goal of grooming our own talent and leading the way in the academy system, and in trying to use younger players rather than older ones.

None of this is a problem for me. Until I hear the FO people talking about how they are happy with our squad when it's not clear at all that the team has improved enough to take a step forward from last season.

We have no recent demonstrated successful record of acquiring key players, so when I see a really good mix, almost a perfect storm of young players that can take this team somewhere meaningful, I am aghast at the idea that we are going to lose them before we can really make any use of them, and that we have an announced contentment with the squad as is.

If our time is not 2013, how is it going to be 2014, or 2015? I said in another thread that I'm not all doom and gloom about our prospects for the 2013 season, and without Najar I'm still not. But without Najar, and a depth-strengthened roster over last year, I'm not very hopeful about our prospects for achieving the same level of success or better, than 2012.

And that's disappointing.

Now I guess we know why the ticket reps made calls this week trying to lock in season ticket packages.

Oveki8, Barbieri, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    There goes 2013. I just knew this season was going to suck.

As I said in another thread, I think Najar was a lynchpin on this team and losing him is going to make United very predictable in attack. The transfer window is effectively closed and DC is now looking significantly worse than last season. I am of the belief that a summer signing is almost always too late.

Najar for $2 million? Not worth it. Not even close.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    $3 Million plus a sell-on fee? That's a good bit of business. $650k in allocation money to bring in transfers or make trades, and another $1.6 million to spend on the academy or to buy out Salihi. And then, when Najar gets sold again, we get another allocation plus money to spend on the academy. Najar's sale could cover academy costs for quite a while.

Saltenya94, TheJoeGreene, DCUSA and 2 others repped this.
  11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was the sell on clause confirmed by anybody?

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You're right that Gomez fellow really bombed in 2004.

Sales are a way of life, as others pointed out, MLS is a developmental feeder league for "better" leagues around the world. Will be for at least another one or two decades (after that I probably will be real worm food and it won't matter to me). I read in SBI that Kamara is going overseas so KC has now lost two valuable players as well. Dallas without Shea is in trouble as well. Notice that no one ever wants Houston's players and all that team does is win? Doesn't mean you shouldn't go for good players, but it does mean you can win without "game changers" and I do believe that DeRo, Pontius and Deleon are game changing players. What is funny is the last two "14s" we've had ended their DCU careers with a red card ejection. Olsen in 2009 and Najar in 2012.

As for the FO "standing pat", what is Olsen supposed to say, "the rest of the roster now that Najar is gone isn't capable of being mid-table in USL-Pro." I would assume the FO is always looking for new talent and I believe having Morsink scout in CA will begin to pay dividends. Just will take time.

song219, TheJoeGreene and DCUSA repped this.
  13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff mentioned it in his initial post, and other reporters (well, Stouffer) have mentioned it as well.

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Seeing the Forest throught the Trees is a rare ability my friend.

Well stated. I'm upset I won't get to see Andy develop further here in DC, but I'd much rather reap the benefits of this deal.

This deal has a knock-on effect of good things within the club (aside from losing the player obviously).

Think about this, when Bill Hamid get's sold someday, United will most likely have two Homegrown Players sold before any other MLS club even get's one sold.

That is good business.

TheJoeGreene, DCUSA, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  15. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Sale coming up on land in Baltimore. Maybe just getting an extra bit of capital for an eventual move?

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, I believed Najar was gone the moment he went on loan. Everything until today was just posturing by the club, and I would include the lack of acquisitions with that statement. Now Ben has the funds to go and get who he wants, and we can see what his scouting skills can reel in.

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Houston has been a steady feeder team for awhile now with Ricardo Clark, Stuart Holden, Geoff Cameron and Andre Hainault. I

I agree with your overall point though. I think Houston is a great model for Ben to follow. But even Houston loses about a player per year to Europe. I think that's a good sign though. It means you're getting good players. It means that you're investing in youth that blossoms under your watch. Those are all good signs. In our good years we fed plenty of players to Europe like Nelsen, Perkins, Convey, Arguez, Jacobson ... By 2009 nobody in Europe was looking at our roster for talent. Now maybe they're starting again ...

Saltenya94 and ElApacheTevez repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am right with you here on virtually every line.... except for the part where you actually listen to what the FO says. o_O "Frankly, our squad is one injury away from a coaching search." is apparently gauche to say even when it's true. Haven't we accumulated approximately 1.5 assloads of acqusitional goodness, with more on the way? It seems like we've gone out of our way to not spend money, so the pessimist in me is optimistic. With that in mind, the last three paragraphs, while I agree, are only conditionally true for me.

19. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    You're forgetting that Houston is a better run operation than DC

20. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't believe anyone says our attack will be predictable attacking this upcoming year. He was so predictable coming down the flank this past season.

21. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Well now we're even more predictable

Boloni86 repped this.
  22. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff@SoccerInsider
    Yes. Sell-on clause RT @bearderic: Good business by both clubs. Wonder if DCU get a % if/when Anderlecht sell him in a couple of years

23. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't seen percentages in terms of what we could use on allocation and what we could use elsewhere. Where did you see these #s or general percentages (from which you're calculating the exact #s). The sell-on fee is the huge assuming its more than a couple percent.

25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too good.