Goff: D.C. United selling Andy Najar to Anderlecht

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Atouk, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the deal includes "...and a stadium", I'm not to happy with this. We need Andy more than the money. And he's def worth more than $2 mil if Brek Shea is getting $4 mil for going to Stoke City.

kirchhausen, Q*bert Jones III and sitruc repped this.
  3. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont like this, not one bit.

kirchhausen and sitruc repped this.
  4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Marrufo let the Najar hit him on the way out?

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for Andy, not so much for us.

We haven't improved the squad measurably as far as I can tell this off-season, and now this is a big loss.

kirchhausen and sitruc repped this.
  7. Dustyvinyl

Dustyvinyl Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Santa Ana,Ca
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Najar is worth way more than 2 million!

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not all torn up about it, let's just get some replacements in. Best of luck, Andy!

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me expand on this by criticizing our FO's seeming "stand pat" stance this off season. Ben is walking around talking about how he likes his squad and he's happy and all, yet there is no clear way we are better than last year-- and we're happy with that??

Now normally I might let that slide by acknowleding that we have a young squad that is full of players who should improve over time.

HOWEVER, having them improve doesn't mean jack for our results if we don't keep them on the team. I'm not saying we need to keep Najar.

I'm saying that the window of opportunity to succeed with the players we have NOW, is NOW. Not building for next year or the year after, cause guess what, when Najar and Pontius and whoever else are gone in 2 years, what are we doing then?

Not winning championships buddy.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2nd best team in the East last year with a lot of young players that are still improving. The improvement should be from the existing roster.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this moment, Brek Shea > Andy Najar. Stoke is rightfully paying more for Shea than Anderlecht is paying for Najar.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    This is the business of soccer unfortunately. Let's hope it's considerably north of $2 million. You win some, you lose some. Let's remember that United sold Mookie Arguez for $ 750,000 and he never played a second for United

It sucks to lose a talent like Najar but we'll survive

DCUSA, ElApacheTevez and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you stopped reading with the part you quoted.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nope, just focused on one incorrect part of the emotionally driven, delusional rant. The rest, built on the idea that by selling off our good players that we'll not be able to quickly replace them and still be a championship contender, was too ridiculous to respond to.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    For a team like KC this is probably not that big of a deal. They have a scouting network where they're able to find gems like Jimmy Nielsen and Aurelien Collin and replace the talent they sell.

For us it is a problem because where can you possibly replace key players like this on short notice? Most likely in the international market where we have proven that we have no ability to get anything.

If nothing else maybe you use that allocation money to make some trades within the league. That I think may be the way to go

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Bingo!

nobletea repped this.
  17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, just wow. Yeah, because the evidence that we will be able to do that is overwhelming.

Hamdi says hi.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Andy, but this sucks.

Barbieri and sitruc repped this.
  19. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Ouch. Happy for Andy. We really need another good player to replace him. We need that level of depth to make a run at the Cup. While we should expect improvement from our young players that doesn't always work out too well. Deleon was just a part of his early self during the year. Andy was young and improving yet sat early in the season because Cruz out hustled him. Need that depth and competition at the highest level possible. Standing pat is not increasing the level of competition for spots. Hope they take a fair portion of that money and put it towards another solid player.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is great for Najar, great for DCU's homegrown program, and great for MLS.

But it's lousy for DCU's prospects in 2013.

Winoman, tab5g, Barbieri and 4 others repped this.
  21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Who killed your puppy today?

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So his brothers in the academy better be just as good. We could have a decade of Najars coming through the system

23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Agreed.

I think this depends entirely on how DCU is planning to play soccer this year. Last year about this time, Ben was talking about his vision for how he wanted the team to play and he talked about short passes and rapid ball movement. We started out that way and it was a joy to watch. There was even a game early on where we lost and Olsen basically said people weren't yet committed to his vision of how he wanted them to play and he was going to get them back on track. If we want to play like this in 2013, I think we can deal with the loss of Andy without much of a problem to be honest.

The second half of 2012 was a different story. The empty bucket ugliness, Pajoy, and the move of Andy to right back. If that is how we are going to play in 2013, then I think Andy is going to be VERY hard to replace and our season will probably be awful. The dynamic, creative, unpredictability he brought from the right back position made that approach to the game much more feasible (and bearable to watch).

Winoman, DCUSA, ElApacheTevez and 4 others repped this.
  24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Above 2 million Euros would be an okay price for Andy. Anything less would be a bad deal. I wonder if he was pushing really hard to get out. That could have lowered our asking price. $2 mil with a sell-on clause would be okay too. I'm betting Anderlecht is not where Andy ends his career.
    In general I think this is a bad move and its pretty late in the preseason to lose Andy without seemingly any cover. Our D line is going to be pretty thin unless we can bring Dudar back. Actually, we are pretty thin all around the park right now. Najar could have slotted in at outside mid. Hopefully the UMD products Kemp and Townsend and White can step up and contribute this year along with our Brazilian Raph(f)aels.

25. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Socks McKorb is going out to dinner tonight.