GOD (one of them) Germany - Ghana - USA - Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now we got Evans, Gonzo & Beasley in defense. Yay.

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Clark and Findley against Ghana I'll grant you, but if whoever our left back is plays as well as Bornstein did 4 years ago, I'll be thrilled.

Mr Martin and exref repped this.
  3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I'd actually have to disagree. Our squad right now, as a whole, is more solid than that one was. Also, Ronaldo is significantly more of a threat than any player on that team could dream of being, even Figo.

4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I'm not sure the US is well thought of in most parts of the world. Portugal I think would have some support in the whiter parts of the country. Probably the opposite in the Amazon. I have a brazilian friend. I'll see if I can dig some politics out of him. He's pretty neutral though.

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I think since Obama has been elected the US' image has improved worldwide. Not judging that, just observing. I don't think there will be a big "anti-US" contingent at these games. (Except for maybe Glenn Greenwald - who lives in Brazil.)

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't want to come in here and start spouting offensive things but one thing that tends to really irk me is when people seem to think Portugal is Ronaldo + 10. Aside from him, we still have players like Pepe, Coentrao, Nani, Moutinho. etc. Frankly, there are not many teams that boast that type of individual quality.

7. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Highly doubt Beasley starts

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone in camp cupcake make their stake for LB

Gonzo, on his good days can be very very good...he just needs to stop the brain farts in the latter stages of games...sort of like a Hummels or Boateng

exref repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Moutinho is the only one of that group that's really concerning, moreso in that he's CR7's supply line. Shutting him down is key to a result, and I said as much.

Nani, in particular, though...really? This isn't 1997 anymore; we can handle Nani. Nobody should be losing sleep about that. It's like playing 2006 England and worrying about marking Joe Cole out of the game.

9. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Listen boys I understand the concern for this group. The odds are stacked against us. The thing is though I believe. I believe because I know that we will play with emotion, energy, and hard work.... just what the US has shown every time we go against the best.

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Beat Ghana and the light at the end of that tunnel, shines.

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Nani plays well for Portugal, unlike Man. U. where he's very inconsistent. There's a reason they were able to qualify for the semis of the Euro with Ronaldo playing poorly the first two games in the group (which happened to be a pretty absurd Group of Death).

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lolz. In Germany no one would ever think of considering this a Todesgruppe.

I wonder why.....

13. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you would say that the odds are not ever in our favor? ;)

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Greenwald is a hero. Put a cork in it.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its all good.....we got this :(

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    We'll see. My concerns about Portugal center around Ronaldo, Ronaldo again, and then Moutinho. Nani isn't even on the radar.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Because Germany routinely steamrolls through groups?

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Lolz.

Ram it where it don't shine smuggy.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but in fairness, most neutrals wouldn't consider Dempsey or Donovan or Altidore any more difficult to neutralize than Nani, and they don't have a CR7 on the other side. We're talking the Portuguese down a little too much if you ask me.

Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not really. But as I can tell you B or D are the GODs from a German perspective. Our group is commented as tough but manageable. The group of "meeting old friends". First Klinsi and we played Ghana and Portugal quite often recently.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I was initially very, very disappointed in the draw, but I am starting to warm up to our chances. This is a great opportunity, and we can very well advance from this group. I can't wait until June.

OGx3 repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    nah it might be offensive to some, but the words you speak are true. I think besides our game with the Ghanaians, the Ger /Por match be very critical for us. If portugal gets a result against Germany, I think that is bad for us. If Germany takes all three points from Portugal then we need to beat Ghana and tie Portugal to be in if we win GD. Either way we have to beat Ghana and nick a point off the winner of Ger/Por to get through on GD.

Seems kind of disrespectful to Portugal to hope it is them we need a point off instead of Germany. We may to take some classes and get a certificate from the Spectors mom's school of mojo and voodoo and learn to how to slay some goats and chickens. We got a might tough row to hoe.

23. noscrusir

noscrusir Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree. It's tough but we have the talent to beat Ghana & Portugal (on a good day maybe). Months to prepare and build great team chemistry. I believe in this team!

24. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Maybe players from other teams will get in trouble with them Brazilian women. Especially Portugal.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    See, I think CR7 inflates neutral's perception of Portugal. Take him away and you have a generally decent to good side, but nothing terribly frightening.

Of course, you can't play the "take him away" game, since barring injury he'll be there and he's awesome, but still.

I'll reiterate the stance that the three non-German teams aren't all that more or less talented than each other.