GOD (one of them) Germany - Ghana - USA - Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    More consumed then we seem to be with Ghana?

2. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    I considered this, and ruled the scenario as non-equivalent, going so far as to decide that it will not only not work against us, it will motivate us to win the game.

After a lot of analysis, the prevailing reason for coming to this conclusion was: because.

superdave repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah? remind me how it went for us in Honduras.

4. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    That's why I said "San Pedro Sula aside". ;)

5. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    There actually is a reason why the revenge at all costs mentality worked against Brazil, will work against Portugal but does not apply to the U.S.

In both the the former cases, the losing team felt the outcome of the game was a foregone conclusion before playing the match, got drummed, and even after the game felt as though "it just wasn't their day". Both Brazil and Portugal believed that they were innately a better football team and the idea of losing the match never even crossed their minds. When the game was finished, neither team, despite the scoreline, believed that they should have come out with a loss. As such, the teams become consumed with revenge to their own detriment.

In the case of USA - Ghana, the teams are about equal. In 2006 the USA knows they were outplayed, and in 2010, while it may have hurt the fans, the US knows they gave it a shot and simply lost a coin flip game. The way they played in 2010 will only give them confidence - redemption will be the order of the day, not revenge.

6. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    If there were a half-decent team Pot 3 team in Group B with Spain, the Netherlands, and Chile, then it would be the inarguable group of death. Instead, it's Australia, the weakest Pot 3 team this time around. Shades of Brazil/Portugal/Côte d'Ivoire/North Korea all over again: the group of 75% death. (Though obviously 2014 Australia is at least better than 2010 North Korea.)

Australia absolutely got the draw of death, whereas we got very close to an average draw in this World Cup.

deuteronomy repped this.
  7. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just, like, your opinion...man...

sXeWesley, meyers and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  8. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to know why we offered less of this to FIFA than Honduras? And, did we offer them Monopoly money?

[​IMG]

Plxix repped this.
  9. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of unqualified statements up in here:

1. "Ghana starts slow. We start well."

Don't get this one at all. In games? In tournaments? If we're talking games, how can one say that the U.S. starts well? In 2010, we were spotting teams a goal or two in the first 20 minutes of nearly every match. In 2013, we're getting run over in the first half and making second-half adjustments. If we're talking tournaments, what is the basis for this? 2002? That's over a decade ago. In 2006 we bombed against the Czechs and in 2010 we played a very mediocre draw against England.

And what is this about Ghana starting slow? Where does this even come from?

2. "We are consumed with Ghana."

Yes we are. But are the players? Is there any evidence for this? Surely they'll want to win - and the guys from the 2006 or 2010 squads will want some measure of revenge surely, but consumed with revenge? Nah.

3. Portugal is all Ronaldo.

No, it's not. Moutinho is incredible and their defense is stout. They are no pushovers and will be amped up to play in front of a lot of ex-pats in Brazil.

There are a number of things playing to the U.S.'s advantage though, despite all the negatives:

1. The weather

Heat and humidity will be brutal for the European teams. The play will not be fast and fluid and this should allow the U.S. to slow down the tempo considerably. Additionally, both the U.S. and Ghana will be far more accustomed to playing in extreme heat. If the U.S. wants to train in similar conditions, all they have to do is go to Houston or New Orleans. 88 degrees F and high humidity? Sounds like San Pedro Sula or Mexico City.

2. The fourth position in the group

The travel sucks, yes, but facing Ghana first and Portugal second is a big advantage for the U.S. They will have their most winnable games coming back-to-back. They should know exactly what they need to do in the game against Germany if they can manage to get even some points from either of the first two games.

3. Underdog status

The U.S. loves to be the underdog. They might be tight against Ghana (it is a must win), but they can and should play loose the rest of the way. No one outside of this country expects them to win a damn thing. And if you don't think Klinsi will be telling them this every day between now and June, you're crazy.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Honduras was in February. Klinsmann screwed up and didn't acclimatize the players for the heat. The US players went from winter weather to 90 degrees. Their bodies were still in winter mode and didn't handle it well in the second half. In Brazil we'll go from like to like.

11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as bad as it seems on paper, especially given the schedule.

It's also sets up wonderful narrative to cap Landon's USNMT career -- slaying the foes who've stalked us and defined his international career since he emerged. He should be pumped.

Someone needs to make a montage with his goals against Portugal, Kahn and Germany robbing he and us, and then the backpass in the 18 to Ben Olsen before Ghana sent us home twice.

taylor and dcole repped this.
  12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love dolo but your crazy if you wanna out a 34 year old coming off 3 knee injuries against one of the most physically gifted players of our generation. This is a match for Cameron or chandler. With a lot of help from jones or Bradley

Dirt McGirt and luftmensch repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naw he can use bedoya for the extra defensive help there.

14. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    More good stuff.

Someone needs to make a montage with his goals against Portugal, Kahn and Germany robbing he and us, and then the backpass in the 18 to Ben Olsen before Ghana sent us home twice.[/quote]If you're referring to the player who collapsed in a heap, that was Reyna. Was there some other backpass?

15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fan....that'd be us, right? :unsure:

exref repped this.
  16. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its really because FIFA loves us.....they want us to get in the groove for Qatar.

17. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Well, if we're going to get into origin stories, Ghana has lost their opening game in their last two appearances, being held scoreless in both matches. As for the US, ummmm, the US won that game.
    [​IMG]

OGx3, Zoti, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  18. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Nate Silver's 40% chance of advancing?

GiuseppeSignori and luftmensch repped this.
  19. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this one 100% percent. With the exception of Germany in '98, the US actually plays pretty well against the big dogs, it's the games where we are closer to even but HAVE TO win that we struggle. Even in 2010 we needed 92+ minutes to break down Algeria. Iran, Poland, Ghana, Slovenia are all examples of games where we were favored and couldn't win. We are clear 3 probably 4th best in this group according to the rest of the world so should help us build the "no respect" theme.

20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    We didn't get a South American team. That could be a big boon. I think we might have the crowd support against Portugal and Germany (don't Brazilians hate their colonial ancestors?) Against Ghana, not so sure.

21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Thats my feeling, and its pretty pathetic at the end, i dont know how its possible that Fifa could figure out how to not only give us the group of death, but also saddle us with the travel of death. So deranged.

Have to admit this is the final nail in this kind of seeding for me, im pretty much completely sick of it. Good luck getting it changed of course, but my gosh, how worse could it have been? Answer, only if Italy or Netherlands was the unseeded Euro pot team. We litterally got the worst seeded team we could have gotten other than brazil, the worst team out of Conmebol/CAF pot, and the third worst team out of the unseeded Euro group. Its like U-20 draw from earlier this year. Just absurd.

22. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

I feel kind of the opposite. With our back four, I dont think we can afford to. We're going to leak goals. I'd try and attack and grab an early lead on Ghana and Portugal, then D up.

I'd have, for now, Johannson and Jozy together,

A midfield of Fabian, Dempsey, Donovan and Bradley

And a back four that's yet to be determined.

I dont think the pairing of Jones and Bradley is working very well and would get rid of it. I worry that it wouldn't help the D much at all, but I dont know what you do here. Our D will give up multiple goals to Germany, and possibly multiple goals to Ghana, and Portugal to boot. We have to score if we're to have any chance, and I'd rather go out swinging, then losing 2-0, 3-0, 1-0 .

Its a real tough call, do you pull Fabian back to fix left back and weaken your midfield? This group is absurd, i kept praying this wouldnt happened but always figured it would. 2nd group of death in 3 tourneys.

I feel good for Ivory Coast though, after back to back G.O.D.'s they finally have a group of life and Ghana got the G.O.D. instead.

23. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    We could have gotten Brazil, Italy and the Netherlands
    ??

Argentina or Spain would be practicially unwinnable or drawable. Uruguay so close to home is tough too, combined with our coach being German, I disagree.
    You'd have preferred Italy???
    Setting aside the fact that you keep forgetting Italy got moved to pot X, yes 3rd or 4th. I'd prefer Portugal over The Netherlands, England and probably France.

24. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    I wonder if it's the opposite. A Portuguese speaking nation will want to see and cheer on to be special, the best player in the world, who happens to be Portuguese. There is also a large population with German ancestry in Brazil as well no?
    With the team's, travel handicap.
    A Ghana team who clearly knows how to beat the USA.
    A really good Portugal, with the best player in the world able to navigate, communicate and fell comfortably supported.
    Germany who will have probably more incentive to beat us after the friendly and especially in front of their ex-coach.
    Seems like a tall order. I can see Germany beating Portugal and the latter coming to Manuas having to win. CR could put on a show.
    I believe the opening Ghana match is a must win for the US. Not a draw, a win.

russ, deuteronomy and keller4president repped this.
  25. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    I truly think that our WC performance hinges on this decision. Jones wants to show everyone that he's as good as Bradley. He's not and they do not play well together at all. Unfortunately, Klinnsman has yet to show that he believes the same thing.