GOD (one of them) Germany - Ghana - USA - Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tbonepat11, Dec 6, 2013.

1. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to request vacation days from work.....whatever the result.....this is gonna be fun as hell to watch.
    (How did Brazil get such a good draw? It had something to do with that guy dropping that ball, I just know it!)

2. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Mexico is their kryptonite. Always cab get a result.

Guinho and LGRod repped this.
  3. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This may be a stretch to find silver linings, but...

vs. Ghana - others have mentioned it, they start slow, and we will be at full strength/no cards, first game, etc.

vs. Portugal - Euro teams always struggle in World Cups in this Hemisphere, and Portugal of 2014 is not the same powerhouse of recent WC's past. We have veterans like LD and DMB that remember beating that powerhouse Portugal on the field in WC play anyways, so there is a basis for confidence amongst the players of "we can beat Portugal".

vs. Germany - repeat of Euro teams struggle in WC in Western Hemisphere. We beat GER in a friendly this year (yes, put in whatever well-known caveats you want, but a win is a much more hopeful sign than a loss). And the JK factor might help the US tactically, and/or play some mind games within the German team.

If you want to go the "karma" route - our never say die, good sportsmanship fight to the end attitude vs. Panama in a game we didn't need to win, deserves some Soccer Karma payback :) Which leads to...

Being able to advance from this group requires a mindset that JK has tried to (and in my opinion "fairly successfully") create/reinforce into the entire US player pool. The belief that the US can win anytime, anywhere, against anyone, under any situation. The philosophy that you must always think about attacking (regardless of whether we can/are successfully able to at any particular moment) and never let the situation intimidate you.

Again, "maybe" a stretch to find positives - but it's not like it's guaranteed the US will get annihilated in this Group. We have a fighting chance, and if we make it out of here, the glory will be well earned.

The following are two time worn, excellent quotes that have unfortunately become cliche, but they fully apply here in their purest, original, non-marketing spirit:

We play the game to win. Just do it!

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks like the gang from the past three World Cups is back together again.

That's the best sequence for us. The '06 sequence was the worst possible we could have had.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is unrealistic to say we get 6 points out of the first 2 games. The Germany game, for me, is a wild card.

6. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Me too. And if not, I would not be surprised to see Cameron to play RB against POR.

7. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    We'll hopefully be fit and fresh in the first match with Ghana, we're an all-weather team that can play well in a variety of climates and environments (San Pedro Sula aside) and are used to long distances so we might have that leg up against Germany, but yeah there is going to be a VERY uphill thing.

I think if we can get a result against Ghana, which is a celebration-worthy thing in itself it will all come down to the Portugal game. That one's likely the make-or-break.

8. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    6 will also be more points then we earned in 1994, 2002 and 2010, when we advanced out of Group stage, so if we can get 6 here, I like our chances of advancing.

9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Gcam could make himself a lot of money marking Crissy out of the game. I think he's athletic and long enough to make life hard for him. If you get pouty Ronaldo, it's possible. If you get on fire Ronaldo, he's unplayable. I'm guessing he's not a fan of Amazonian heat (do we play them there?). He's a beach guy. We gotta bunch of guys that play in mid summer American heat.

10. JDeuce23

JDeuce23 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really not as bad as some on here think.

As soon as Groups A and B came out, I wanted to avoid them at all costs...because the runners up of those groups are probably playing Spain and Brazil right off the bat in the round of 16. I'd rather have a difficult group stage, then get an easier path in the knockout stage. That's what we've got.

Screw Ghana...if there is one team from the 32 that should motivate our players, this is it.

Portugal looked like complete crap at times during qualification, failing to win what wasn't a terribly difficult qualifying group. They even drew twice against Israel, and if a game isn't going their way, CR7 has a habit of turning into a pouting diva, which has an effect on the whole team.

I'm not wild about playing Germany, but at least we get them last...which should play in our favor as long as we take care of business early.

If you want to win at the WC, you're going to have to beat some tough teams along the way. Let's sack up and do it.

OGx3, StillKickin, Berks and 8 others repped this.
  11. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "We are not underdogs" - Jurgen Klinsmann on US in Group G.

That's the spirit!

12. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You got your wish. Per mlssoccer.com site. USA-POR in Manaus. Deep in the heart of the Amazon. Average high that time of year is 88 degrees.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    88 with 80% humidity prolly. Sounds like Houston.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Reading the Ghana Web soccer forums. Of course they have as a given to get 3 pts. versus the USA, but for them their crucial match is the one against Germany. They match up well against the Germans, and managed to tie them before, even outplaying them at moments. So they expect to go into that last game against Portugal (team they seem to fear the most) with 4 points in the pocket.

15. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly dislike them. We also match up well to them and outplayed them at stretches.

16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if BB had been able to get Egypt through over Ghana, would our group have been:

Germany
    Egypt
    Portugal
    USA

??? :ROFLMAO:

Zoti, StillKickin, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's gonna be such a letdown for those guys when they lose 3-0 in the first game.

Berks, The_Dude and dlokteff repped this.
  18. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    While we are certainly in the most difficult group, I really see the positives here. Let's face it, there were very few permutations that would have had us being favored to advance. Any win by the US in the WC is practically an upset. Once we got put in the same pot as Asian teams, there were not going to be many chances to face teams that we would beat more than 1/2 the time.

That said, we'll not be favored for any of the three games, but they are very winnable. The following is possible, though not likely. The logic is irrefutable. ;)

Ghana: They are not as good as in 2008, their defense will be vulnerble (as will ours) but their midfield and forwards have the potential to be lethal. They start slow, and we start well. Plus, we can't lose to Ghana three straight wold cups, can we?
    Result: 3-2

Portugal: Yes, Portugal is a very strong side. CR is unstoppable. However, they have been thinking about beating the USA for 10 years. They want revenge so bad that it will ultimately backfire à la Brazil - France in 2006. Brazil never truly believed that they were the inferior team in '98 and dreamed every day about some day being able to avenge their bitter defeat at the hands of all teams, France. It consumed them to the point that (as I predicted) they melted down against France when it mattered. (Although, that's what the so-called Joga Bonito players to under pressure especially behind - their ever present smiles disappear and they start playing dirtier than Argentina with blind referees). Is Portugal consumed by their loss to the US in Korea? Not as much as the BRA-FRA example, but man will they want revenge. That will probably be coupled with their taking the US lightly despite what their coaches say.
    Result: 3-1

Germany: Of all the #1 seeds, this is the one that we might have a bit of an edge in that Klinsy knows this team. Yes, they are awesome, but we have historically fared well against Germany. There's a WC 2002 revenge factor as well. Result: 1-1

7 points. We win the group and face South Korea in the round of 16

More realistic (though still pretty dreamy) prediction 1-0-2

19. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manaus, Recife, Natal

20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    That's the spirit.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is half our team is not used to playing in the Amazons, we are playing where is hot and humid

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to eviscerate Ghana at least. They had no business getting the results they have in the recent past. That last game was a 50/50, but they pulled it out due to Howard's uncharacteristically poor goalkeeping and us botching some chances. If we take them behind the woodshed, I won't feel terrible about not advancing. I won't feel terrible about not advancing if we don't get embarrassed, can nick a point here or there, and not finish last. It's a tough group. That's the pragmatic way of looking at it. But there is reasonable optimism that we can advance. None of those teams have outclassed us recently, and if anything we have the homefield advantage playing in the Americas. It's certainly not like playing in Europe against a bunch of European teams.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is half our team plays in cold European leagues.

exref repped this.
  24. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think the chances are that US moves its HQ from San Paulo to somewhere farther north so it won't be such a long trip?

25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    If it were a movie nobody would believe it.

100%, if they don't we fans have a right to question the decision makers.