Gifton Noel Williams

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Dixie_Gnawmuss, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Calamardo

Calamardo New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Elche CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. Calamardo

Calamardo New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Elche CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. HinchaAztex

HinchaAztex Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok, first of all let me introduce myself. My name is Sergio, I am a Chantico Army Member and a Founder's Club Member. Although I haven't been actively supporting thus far, sorry guys I just started my job, I have finally reached a point where I can once again go back to my true passion. - FUTBOL!

I would also like to add that I am a MAJOR AZTEX supporter, I am so happy that Austin finally has a real professional team. As a true Austinite, yes I was here during the 80s flood, I can say that Soccer has finally exploded to what it should be.

With all that being said I am not drinking the kool-aid with Gifton yet. Some of the videos I saw prior to his arrival showed a speedier guy who could work well going to goal. Specifically, one video showed him take a guy on one on one, beat him to the right, and take a nice shot to goal. These last five games all I have seen is a guy who chest traps the ball well. Frankly, for a point man he plays to far back in the midfield and never really threatens the area. Additionally, I don't see him killing himself for the jersey ala' Silva and Eddie Johnson. Those two guys are impressive, hard workers, and every goal they have scored they kiss the shield and celebrate it with the fans. I love that!

For now, thats all I think about Gifton. I hope his play improves, but right now if you offered me 2x Giftons for 1xSilva I would take a Silva.

Sergio

4. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Sergio. I hope to see you at more games this year. I can understand your "not drinking the kool-aid" with Gifton, but let me provide a little background on Mr. Noel-Williams. He is a player that can change the game for us, period. He has a lot of good experience and don't underestimate that. He is a player that we are going to use as a central stiker, and from what I have seen, our wings were not pressing forward much while Gifton was in (especially against Columbus, anyway.) That makes it very difficult for a striker to get in a position without having 2 people marking him. We need to be able to keep possession in the midfield and set up some right-to-left or left-to-right presses. That is the only way that we will have Gifton being freed up in order to show you what he can do. I would just say, lets see how the team performs over the stretch and then see if you have some kool-aid to drink.

5. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say that I have been a bit underwhelmed with "The Gift" as well. He does seem much slower in person than on youtube. Also, last night there was a great pass into the box by Godbolt (I think) and if Gifton had just continued his run, the ball would have landed at his feet at the six yard box.

It's a long season, and they are just getting started, so I am willing to give him more time to see how things play out. Also, he did score a goal against the Flopcaps, and has had more than a few close chances. I think he will be as good as the crosses he recieves this year. But I have yet to see him break down a player 1 v 1, yet...

Also this team is full of guys who have not played a lot or any, professional football, and I assume that he is bringing a lot of leadership in regards to being a pro. I think he is ~27-28 years old, and that would make him one of the oldest guy on the team believe it or not.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just 'one of'. THE oldest.

7. Calamardo

Calamardo New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Elche CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He is not a fast player, is not skilled, not overflowing ....
    But Fight, run, fight all the balls.
    Elche in here, always played when we won, when gifton did not play (due to injury or because the coach did not want to) always lost ....

GIFTON GO GO!

The church noeliana this with you!

8. HinchaAztex

HinchaAztex Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Great....

Not fast
    Not skilled

so what was he a lucky charm? Lets tell Heath to tell the guys they can't change their underwear from the stars game until they lose....

Sergio

9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think you guys are being hard no one of our own, and I say that as someone who likes the passing game. Noel-Williams seems used to playing off of other attackers, and perhaps it takes some time to get in sync. I agree that there seem to be balls he could go for that he doesn't, but I also have noticed him limping at times. I wonder if he's at 100% yet. And from afar he seems like a great guy, the kind of leadership presence that would be all positive in the locker room.

10. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The general opinion of this forum seems to be that he's a brick in regards to experience, leadership, and target man qualities. But he's not a very skilled, or fast, brick. :rolleyes:

11. HinchaAztex

HinchaAztex Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Alejo, funny way to express it. I agree wholeheartly

Also, my friends what makes these blogs fun is the ability to be a monday morning quarterback...a coach. Just because Gifton hasn't pleased my eye doesn't mean I wish him to, in the words of a famous soccer movie coach Will Ferrel, "break his clavical". I truly hope he puts a couple away against the Islanders and goes on to be the league scorer and top the table. However, at this moment he hasn't impressed me.

This "one of our own" bit is irrelevent. One thing is to support the team another is being able to be analytical of our team. I was simple analyzing his performance.

Sergio

12. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Sergio, I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. If we can't use the forums to constructively criticize all (including ourselves!), what are they for? I welcome new perspectives and analysis even if I don't agree. Who knows, maybe I will spit some kool-aid out, too. I just think we haven't seen the best of young Mr. Noel-Williams, and he is probably just as valuable at practice as he is at games. (Again, in my opinion.) One thing is certain, no one has ignored him, yet. He is a high profile player, and should be aware that it will bring scrutiny from opposing teams and fans alike. As long as you aren't calling for his head (and I haven't read anything bad at all) I will support you in asking, why is he starting or what does he bring to the Aztex. Keep up the posts and the enthusiasm.

-Mad

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good analysis at that Sergio. I'm a massive fan of Gifton, and have enjoyed the times he and I sit and talk football or just BS. I also am one who thinks that he can improve his play by turning his defender and moving around more. So you're not alone in your thoughts that so far, there's a lot more potential to his play than whas we see. I'm also a fan of Silva, but have issues with the amount of step overs he does when I don't think it's necessary. That's why I was so happy to see him pull defenders and then dish to a team mate who was left open.

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    No one is arguing you shouldn't be able to express your opinion, least of all me. And I expressed mine. It's all good.

15. Joga_Bonito_ATX

Joga_Bonito_ATX New Member

May 6, 2008
    Austin,Tx
    i think he would be better if he worked on he stamina, i saw him not comeback onsides many times.... but we have to give the payers more time to get in sync.

:)

16. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    A striker is judged by by one thing only, goal production. One goal in three games is not bad.

17. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the deal with the mild criticism here, is that Gifton came in as the most hyped player to sign with the Aztex, and with that hype comes high expectations. Additionally, no one here has ever seen the guy play except for a few highlights on YouTube. So imagination is going to run wild as to how great a player we were getting here.

One other thing is, and maybe some one else already pointed this out, but Gift does get a lot of attention from the defense. Seems like he always has one or two guys ridding his ass. And that's a good thing, because it allows Silva and Johnson more room to operate. Teams can't overload Williams, and Silva without leaving Eddie J. wide open. While he is not as flashy as Silva, he's already show that he is going to score a bunch of goals in this league.

18. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. My only problem with Gifton, and this was mitigated a little in the last match, is that he won't turn his man and make a run. He will ALWAYS dump off the ball. So other teams mark him very close and know that he's not a threat to make a run.

If he WOULD turn his man a little more often (and I'm not saying he should try it every time - he's a target man for a reason), it would keep defenses a little more honest and would open up things for all our strikers. Other than that I think he plays very well, he's dangerous in the box, and he's obviously a great font of experience and knowledge for the team. He's a great guy personally as well.

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the reason why he doesn't turn his man and make his run towards the goal is his fitness. Every time either Johnson, Alvarez or Silva made a through or long pass to Gift, he hesitantly stops his runs. Hopefully Heath can get him to work on his fitness and conditioning before the P.R. match. I don't know if his knees is holding up to the turf or not but that might play a factor in his game performance.

Now here a question to pan around here: What type of striker do you want Gift to be: Brian Ching? Jared Borgetti? Martin Palermo? Kenny Cooper? Samuel Eto'o?

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a vague memory of him dummying at least once. As the players get to know each other (and we see more games) I'm sure we'll get to see a good range of things from him. I have a hard time believing he played Premier League and is limited in his skills.

...I'm sure I've opened myself up for all sorts of examples with that one.:)

21. Calamardo

Calamardo New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Elche CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That happens with the prophet?

This one injured?

Since it he does not play, your equipment does not win!

GO NOEL GO!!

The noelist church

LO ENTENDEIS? :rolleyes:

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between you and me cabrone, I hope your right. El equipo is in dire straits right now, hopefully The Prophet can preach them some hot gospel and get their heads up, porque for sure the manager has been trying and, well ,you've seen the results

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he is.

24. Calamardo

Calamardo New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Elche CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  25. HinchaAztex

HinchaAztex Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok, I know I have been critical of Gifton in the past and I continue to think that the hype has ruined me futbolistically speaking in the way I view Gifton. However, I saw him yesterday being very nice and giving to the child fans who approached him. This is great stuff and I hope that other Aztex players take note.

I want this guy to get fit ASAP and I want to see him in action, fully fit, soon.

sergio