Getting in awesome ref shape

Discussion in 'Referee' started by arsenal8884, Jan 3, 2013.

1. CitationSquirrel

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, since I decided to become a soccer ref this year, at the young age of 44, one of my first thoughts was that I needed to get in shape. I didn’t want me first assignment to be marred by my lagging behind every play and gasping for breath. I had spent a couple years in my late-30s doing a few sprint-distance triathlons, but I had taken a few years off. So, since the beginning of December, I have been working on getting back into the shape I felt I needed to be in. I spend about three nights a week at the gym doing a lot of cardio work. In addition, I’m focusing a lot more on nutrition. Since I started, I have lost 15 pounds, which as a bonus allows me to use my driver’s license weight without any ethical ramifications. I think I’m probably in the best shape ever. I’m really looking forward to getting out on the pitch.

Rufusabc and Law5 repped this.
  2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I guess we should point this poor guy in the direction of Vetshak's thread on his state. Who wants to be the bearer of bad tidings?

3. CitationSquirrel

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ironically, I found out about what was going on the day after I completed all of my online training. Since I was halfway through, I figured I would just carry on until the end. After all, how bad could it get. :rolleyes:

4. John Ryding

John Ryding New Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Just wanted to say great job on taking the initiative to get in shape, keep it up dude! Things may be tough at first, but it'll get easier as time goes on. Staying fit is one of the perks of the job. :)

5. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I recommend you request (or self-assign if your club does that) a U11 or U12 C3 game for your very first assignment, both at AR and center, even if your fitness would allow you to keep up with a much higher level.

6. CitationSquirrel

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have the fealing my inexperience rather than my physical capabilities will govern my initial assignments. :D

7. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What threeputzzz said though - sometimes an assignor will see an adult 44 year old ref and think an older age will be no problem, and maybe it will not be. Just remember that it really is WAY different when you are in the middle with the whistle than when you are watching it so even if you get what looks like an easy assignment, it is better to start with the youngest age 11v11 match you can get and start there.

Ask me how I know - my first year I was put on a U14 classic 1 (and I didn't even know what classic 1 or 4 or anything was) and it was a disaster. Thankfully no one was hurt but it was obvious FAST that I was in over my head. When I got the assignment I was thinking no problem at all, U14 - I got this. Having done plenty of U littles and some rec level 11v11 I was WAY over confident all the way into about the first 5 minutes of the match. It shook me up for a long while.

Partnering with an experienced referee (find a mentor or mentors) with you on the line for the more competitive matches is the way to go, get your centers in at less competitive matches and work slowly up.

8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota

camconcay repped this.
  9. CitationSquirrel

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not that you ever stop learning, but I’m going to be sponge.

BTW, 17 days until my classroom training … not that I’m excited or anything.

10. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Don't be surprised if there are few or even zero other adult students in your class.

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    My daughter was newly registered as a referee when she was drafted to be AR1 (with no AR2) for a men's open 2nd division game between the #1 and #2 teams in the division, both Hispanic teams. She was 13. She even called a foul. The players thought it was cute.

12. CitationSquirrel

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can “hang” with the younger crowd. Just ask my 13 year-old daughter. Daughter’s expression ---> :eek:

13. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    And look where she ended up with a start like that! :p

14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    What you don't understand yet, because your daughter is still only 13, is that it is your parental responsibility to embarrass your children.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    He's a slow learner if she's 13 an he hasn't learned that yet !!

16. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
  17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have been fortunate to be able to use a trainer in the last month. He has stressed flexibility. I needed someone to show me the ropes and to give me guidance. I meet once a week, and although not in everyone's budget, it has worked wonders for me. Best shape in 10 years.

18. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    HEY! Round is a shape!;)

uniqueconstraint and steever repped this.
  19. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    My sons are 21 and 23, I still feel it is my job to abuse and embarrass them whenever the chance presents itself, now it includes girlfriends since they've been around long enough :laugh:

The joys of parent hood don't have to stop