Getting in awesome ref shape

Discussion in 'Referee' started by arsenal8884, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Apparently, you were not at the MLS camp this weekend. :(

2. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I said *should* never let it happen again, not *would* never let it happen again. ;)

It has been proven time and again that some folks will repeat mistakes that should never happen in the first place.

3. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Learned exactly how not to train for the fitness test this weekend. Four and half hours of sleep, pretty hung over, and Mexican food the night before (roommate's birthday)........ I made it to lap 16 before I came in over 30 seconds.... I'll behave better next week.

4. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Even though I assume that anyone who is smart enough to navigate the internet is smart enough to figure out how to measure the 150/50 meters... I will throw this out anyway.

Start your laps at the midfield line of the standard track. For me, this is by far the easiest. (Marked S in the pic.) End the run at the other midfield line minus 50 meters. You find this spot by subtracting 55 yards (50 meters) from the other halfway point. (Also marked S.) If there is a football field in the middle, this is halfway into the endzone--you really don't have to pace this off. Now mark this spot with a light colored rock or a dandelion or something. That's your first run finish line. (Marked x.) The second run start line is the other side of the track from the first one--easily found at the 50 yard line. Mark if needed. Repeat for the other half of the track.

Now: Run from S to x; walk from x to S. Repeat.

My best contribution is this: Take 10 small stones and line them up at the first start line. As you pass, kick one out back into the dirt. (Or is it 12 laps now?) Keeping track of the laps is the second hardest thing about running these things.
    [​IMG]

5. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

JimEWrld and Law5 repped this.
  6. andymoss

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you have a Garmin, use the interval workout setting.

You can set a custom exercise and rest time, total number of reps and include warm-up and cool-down.

And the Garmin gives you a five second beep alert before the start and end of each interval.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    From a tactical point of view, the layout shown in German is better. This is because
    you do most of the 150 on the straight, rather than on the curve. Walking on the curve
    is easier.

PH

arsenal8884 repped this.
  8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Yes. You don't want to be forced into lanes 3 or 4 on the curve. No more than 6 runners in a group. And if you're a real referee nerd, you have the test on your ipod. :)

9. arsenal8884

arsenal8884 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Caught red handed. Best way to practice in my opinion.

10. ArgylleRef

ArgylleRef Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Lansing, KS
    You mentioned this before. I went went off searching in iTunes, but couldn't find. What is the name of the app? (I'm a little challenged, because I have to search on the iPod because my laptop is a melted puddle of goo at the moment.)

11. andymoss

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have all the files.

Shoot me an email and I'll send them to you.

My name at Comcast dot net.

12. arsenal8884

arsenal8884 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. robmag

robmag Member

May 3, 2012
  14. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    I've been running with some other referees in the area during the offseason. We usually run three times a week - focusing on distance, high intensity intervals, and sprints, depending on the day. The fitness regimen laid out in "The Art of Refereeing" by Bob Evans is definitely worth looking at. Here are some workouts we've done:

8 x 200 m runs, 30-35 sec, 3.5 min rest between runs

10 x 50 m sprints, 1.5 min rest between sprints

FIFA Interval Test at various times (30/40, 30/35, 30/30, 25/50 - as you progress, reduce the time for the run, reduce the recovery, and/or increase the number of reps)

Distance runs - again, increase the distance and/or pace as you run them.

400 m at 6 min mile pace, 400 m walk to recover, repeat - when that becomes easy, run 800 m at 6 min mile pace, then 1200, 1600, etc. The goal is to eventually be able to run two miles in 12 minutes.

15. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Reviving this thread to see how everyone is doing with their offseason training (for those who aren't blessed with year round wonderful weather). In addition to my running workouts, I've also been doing bodyweight exercises - push ups, squats, lunges, inverted rows, etc. I'm finding that the extra exercises are helping me a lot.

16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I'm running roughly three days a week and I have a workout class, "Total Body Conditioning" three days a week. The class is lot like what aphelorah describes, although we run/sprint/skip/side step, etc. for about 20 minutes at the start. Burpees are the worst. Game or rest on the 7th day. It's easier to stay in shape than it is to get in shape. My times when running outside through the neighborhood are looking pretty good. The shorter stuff on the indoor track is always hell. My training plan is currently on 400 M repeats. If I were going to take the physical at RTS, I'd feel very confident of passing.

aphelorah repped this.
  17. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Man did you hit the nail right on the head with the bolded statement, especially as we get older!

18. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Where did you get that? I gotta have one!!!

20. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Avoiding any conflicts with the terms of service, I had seen it on another website and found the shirt by doing a web search for "burpee facebook shirt"

21. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Good stuff. Burpees are a brutal exercise - do tabata burpees for 4 minutes and you have a whole body workout! Regarding bodyweight exercises, I have been using a fitness app called "You Are Your Own Gym". Tons of bodyweight exercises and workouts, very good stuff overall.

22. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I suppose I have to google that to find out how much it costs. ..
    I have almost been tempted by the Daily Burn that Hulu is constantly pitching at me, which seems to cost $10 per month. (Which is really not that bad if you use it!)

$2.99 one time fee...!?

23. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Yes, it's just a one time fee. There are four 10-week programs, depending on your level of fitness.

24. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    It has only taken me about 45 years, but stretching is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I highly recommend it!:laugh::laugh:

I had a trainer at the gym show me how to stretch (which is important) and it is working wonders.

25. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Great point! I'll also repeat something I believe I stated a few years back -- Cool down! No, I don't mean for us to pull back on the pedantic posting antics, I mean to make sure and cool down after your game or a long day of matches. Not always easy to do, I know, but I learned from my track and field days that a slow jog after a workout really helps with recovery.

I got in the habit of cooling down after signing the box sheet in a college match. Just a short jog followed by some light stretching and I found myself much less fatigued by the end of a travel week. I also am a fan of dynamic stretching before a match; static stretching is generally not in style before a workout due to the potential for causing injury instead of preventing it.

aphelorah repped this.