Getting a Cup of Joe: Gyau in Sweden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FirstStar, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523 and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had NO idea signed Eren Derdiyok. Totally missed that signing. I wonder with him, Babel, and Fabian if this team could finish near the top...

4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they contend for a spot in Europa League that would be great!

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a quote where the Hoff manager warned Babel that there's a lot of competition at his spot. I wonder if Joe has a chance to break through to the first team this season. He needs minutes so we can start calling him up.

6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gyau comes into the season with a much more polished touch than he displayed in the March Olympic qualifiers, then IMO he could unseat Babel from a starting spot this year. However, Gyau is 19. Not starting for an upper mid table Bundesliga team at 19 is not the end of the world. He seems to be in a good place, and he was considered one of the top youth players at teh club last year, before he signed a professional deal. He will get time this year, just may not (probably won't) start.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  7. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy if he gets consistent time, even if it's just as a sub. He was the one that caught my eye in the Olympic qualifiers as having the most potential, and as the type of player we could really use.(speedy/tricky winger)

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyau reminds me of the young Beasley full of speed and trickery. He differs in that he has a little more "nose for the goal" than Beasley. DMB was more provider where Joe is more finisher. But I see the same idea of getting that defender isolated and going right at him. Joe can also use that speed to make late runs in behind a defense a la DMB. Gyau is just fun to watch and I have that sneaky feeling he's going to slowly but surely increase his minutes throughout the season. I can see him being a super-sub the 2nd half of the season.

9. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah it would be nice for Gyau to make the bench this year

12. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm optimistic that he will get plenty of PT as a sub this season.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that's my best case scenario as well.

14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk if that's my best case scenario. :p

15. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I think Hoffenheim are a classic Wundertüte this season.
    A Wundertüte is a nontransparent bag kids buy for little money, with a toy and some sweets in it; you have no idea what you get, it might be a nice surprise, or you might just throw it away and forget that you wasted time and money for this crap. Anything between 5th and 18th seems possible.

Real Corona and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  16. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoffenheim 2012/2013 first team picture, Gyau is the second player from the left in the bottom row.

[​IMG]

MadRHatter repped this.
  17. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Gyau started and played 45 minutes in a 1-1 preseason friendly draw against Wigan Athletic from the EPL. Fabian Johnson and Daniel Williams also started both of them played 45 minutes, and all 3 players had opportunities to score.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SoccerKowboy repped this.
  19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    not even 20 yet, would be huge if he could make a 1st team Bundesliga roster.

20. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people forget how good Beasley was as a teen. He had a lot of defensive assignments early with the Fire, and it was amazing to watch his motor, his persistence, and speed, combined with a pretty good degree of dribbling skill compared to what we were used to from American youth system products. But I think Gyau is probably better at the same age. Not sure if he has quite Beasley's speed, although he might, but he is certainly sturdier and stronger - which is probably the only thing that kept Beasley from being really world class. The comparison to Beasley gives us plenty of reason to feel optimistic about his future.

22. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley was fast. Gyau is fast. To me, it doesn't even matter who's faster, cuz Gatt's faster than either one.;)
    But in all seriousness, IMO, admittedly based on mostly YNT games, with 2 preseason games this year mixed in, I think Gyau is better than Beasley was at 19. I just think we're past the point with the USMNT where talent considered less than great for their age worldwide deserves to break into the picture as a teen. There will be exceptions based peerly on hype, such as Agudelo.

23. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    This is really funny. Beasley received Silver Ball at WC U-17, he played well at 2002 WC being barely 20. Gyau at 19 is basically nobody. That might change, but as of today he is nobody. How exactly he is better than Beasley?

24. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is he a nobody? Beasley is still a nobody outside of the US. He was never anything else. He was big here because he was able to play as a teen in MLS, and do well. MLS was much weaker then than it is today. He won the silver ball at the U17 World Cup, and Donovan won the gold ball. Neither is a world class player. It means nothing. Gyau will most likely be coming off the bench for a team that can finish in a Europa league spot in the Bundesliga at 19. Hoffenheim is at least as good a team as PSV is or was. Gyau is one of the top prospects on the team, and the player development staff sees big things in his future. To me, making the 18 every week for Hoffenheim is at least the accomplishment that starting for the Fire is.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  25. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Now this is laughable. I guess you are totally new to soccer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaMarcus_Beasley

wsmaugham, BarcaLover and derek750 repped this.