Get Turf Out of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by clarendon_united, May 21, 2012.

1. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about not being the typical smug seattle smart ass who thinks he is so much smarter then everyone else that he has to try and clown on someones post so he feels better about himself, call me a dumbass all you want, maybe sometimes I am, but you are a complete douche.

profiled repped this.
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't want something, don't ask for it ....

SeaFan77 said:
    yea, it is, I didnt consider the roof covering the field during rainy season. but I can tell by your snarky sarcastic response your implying something, be a man and say it out loud or have an opinionated response​

3. TFC Till I DIE 07

TFC Till I DIE 07 New Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    agreed..the plastic shite turf has got to go...the Shitecaps,Timbers and seattle are stuck with what they have..the Revs are talking a new stadium in Boston with grass..will it happen?? a new stadium in DC would also be great you guys deserve better..fingers crossed on that..

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have so many problems with this post. Maybe I'm nitpicking.

1. Arsenal and Manchester City (and many others) play on pitches that are 3-5% plastic
    2. Artificial pitches are >60% rubber by mass, so why do we call them plastic?
    3. The issue with artificial turf IMO is the rubber pellets and base, not the plastic blades

5. Usmaman

Usmaman Member

Jun 22, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That and the text is red. Seriously dude, what's wrong with you?

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. TFC Till I DIE 07

TFC Till I DIE 07 New Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    3-5% is nothing when compared to the 100% the shitecaps,timbers,and sounders,revs play on..why they are called plastic? who knows..but does it really matter its a shite surface..yes the base is the major problem with concrete usually the base..and who wants to play on that

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Wonder if this guy is related to Tyler Storm... Maybe Tyler has decided to troll on some new topics with a new identity.

sedlie, Kejsare and looknohands repped this.
  8. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The individual plastic blades that comprise the 3-5% of hybrid turf should be painted neon pink to help certain folks to properly direct their rage. Just a little effort on the owners part would give so much meaning to so many lives. What could possibly be the downside?

Shopping Cart Man repped this.
  9. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean Eric Wynalda?!

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    What you are telling me is that Waldo is already making excuses for Tuesday's game in Seattle?
    Clearly its not his EPL level players who were at fault, but the turf at starfire?

11. master_klon

master_klon New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Auckland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    They still play on 100% natural grass.

The 40,000 km of synthetic grass fibres used are made by Desso GrassMaster, and are injected 20cm below the surface.

12. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well damn, this pretty much kills my idea.

13. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's what he meant by 3-5% plastic. And IIRC they stick out about 2.5 cm above the surface.

Don't forget that the Wembley pitch was saved by plastic surgery.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so was Joan Rivers.

15. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not sure you can call that thing she's turned into as "saving" however.

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are inserted 20cm into the ground, but they do have a few cm above ground as well. However, I wager they are hardly noticeable considering the percentages.

[​IMG]

17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the ever nuisance of complaining about the playing surface. Bottomline there is nothing wrong with Turf. if a pro soccer player wants to bitch about it they should find a another profession... like i dont know cricket.

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyi, this is what the surface looks like after the insertion of the artificial fibers and before the grass is planted.

[​IMG]

As you can see, a significant portion of the visible "grass" is artificial.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeesh. What did they do? Install it on a dirt field? Usually they insert the artificial blades after the grass field has grown in.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that that would be harder to do than putting it in first and letting the grass grow around it.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do both. If there's already grass, they just insert the plastic right through it. If there isn't grass, the insert the plastic first, then grow the grass around it. The end result is the same, especially after a few months.

Yoshou repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, the process is the same. They are just poking holes millions of 20cm deep holes in the ground to install the artificial blades, then the next time the field is mowed any high blades are knocked off. I would actually think doing it before the grass grows is problematic simply because you can't patch hybrid surfaces. If part of the grass field fails to grow properly, or dies, and there isn't enough time to grow it from seed again, then the only option is to bury the artificial blades with a grass overlay and then play on the overlay until the off season and grow from seed again, or install the overlay and then redo the insertion of the artificial blades. As an example, half of RBA's field died just before the start of their inaugural season. If that had been a hybrid field, they would have been hosed.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. I should have hit refresh before I responded. Thanks for the info! :)

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all, now they know how many holes it takes to fill the pitch at all.

Chesco United repped this.
  25. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not another British invasion. Hybrid-mania will be the ruin of the American game as we know it. Wait, you say grass wasn't invented in Liverpool. I'll be damned.