Get Turf Out of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by clarendon_united, May 21, 2012.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I wouldn't trust anything from the DC United apology robot ...

At this point I've heard them all ... It's the pitch. It's the refs ... It's the injuries. It's the weather. It's bad luck. It's too many games creating fatigue. It's not enough games to create rhythm. We're almost there and we'll be good any second now ...

I've heard every excuse imaginable except the truth that the players are garbage, the coaches have no clue and the GM is stuck in the 90's

2. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I just said a similar thing about DC in a different thread. Those losers will blame anyone else but themselves. Benny Olsen is a dead man walking over there at this point.

3. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Well Ryan Nelson is blaming all the different kinds of fields now... and he's 2-0.

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    [​IMG]

Hey now, they're made to be stared at, but that's no reason to call them tarts.

What? Oh, sorry.

sitruc repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While all of that is true, it doesn't change the fact that the field was shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

revsrock and sitruc repped this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's completely wrong. The field is heated, preventing it from freezing. The grass at Lambeau has a "heating system underneath it, a sand base, synthetic fibers woven into the grass and growing lights above it 24 hours a day during the growing season."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...oft-through-technology-763p13j-137327223.html

Hachiko repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highlighted something for you. The growing season for grass ends well before the end of the NFL season. Even with the heated field, glow lights, and tarps there is only so much a team can do to extend the growing season.

8. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    The heating system is a foot below the surface to moderate the surface temperature. They don't turn up the heat to a level that would quickly melt the snow on the surface because the field would then turn to mush. That's why even though the field is heated, snow still accumulates on the surface.

Here's Lambeau Field from this December, dead and brown, with snow on the surface.
    [​IMG]

9. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green Bay Wild Card weekend

[​IMG]

10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    We did an experiment in high school biology where we had plants that got 24hrs of grow lights, and another set that was dark 1/2 and light 1/2. We all assumed the light all the time plants would do better. They didn't. It turned out the plants absorbed the energy in the day and converted (grew) that energy in the dark. I'm surprised that professionally cared for grass isn't treated the same way.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The lights aren't on 24 hours a day.

12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    the quote I quoted said they were.

13. Avshalom

Avshalom New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The article is oversimplifying for a more impacting dichotomy with the second paragraph.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No it didn't.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically it said the lights were above the grass 24 hours a day, it didn't say if they were turned on or not. ;)

Hachiko and sitruc repped this.
  16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    details

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are important in determining the validity of... anything?

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    well in my defense, it's an awfully stupid way to state that they have grow lights in the stadium.

Only the tedious pr!cks around these parts would pick that up. I say that with only love in my heart. :inlove:

Hachiko repped this.
  19. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For a while? Since our inception. Then again, I don't know what you guys have to brag about in MLS.

Both of us only have participation ribbons... and by the looks of it, we're better off than you at this stage.

20. Sean L

Sean L Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

None of those places play American football, which as stated, is what destroys the field. You want grass, you need a soccer-specific place and that's it. Jeld-wen isn't.

21. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like a true fanatical monk. As advertised.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  22. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    #1197 MLSFan10, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    I'm really beginning to wonder, as MLS is about to add Atlanta turf and very likely Minnesota turf, if the unthinkable will happen....

Will the rest of the world start considering turf a viable option?

23. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1198 Quakesss, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    No, the rest of the world will continue to not take us seriously and make fun of us :(

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharing surfaces is the bigger issue than turf or grass. You share a surface with a football team, NCAA or NFL, it's likely going to look and play like crap at times. That it happens in the playoffs is even worse.

I don't think Atl or any expansion team for that matter should be accepted if sharing with a football team. It's tough to undo what's already there around the league in some cities, but you can make it a requirement for expansion teams to figure out how not to share their surface if they want to enter the league.

Shouldn't even qualify as a SSS in my eyes if you share it with a football team. SSS for example means nothing to me in Houston when their surface has been torn up before a playoff game. That's not soccer specific. Give me a non-soccer specific stadium instead where the surface is not shared.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium will adjust and move seats and they are working on a line system that can disappear for game days. blank isnt doing this half assed.