Get Turf Out of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by clarendon_united, May 21, 2012.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Excerpted from: http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/a...ue-landon-donovan-ponders-next-step-mls-teams

“Obviously, the game plan wasn't to let two goals in in the first 10 minutes, and it's a difficult game plan after that,” said forward Rob Friend, whose entrance at halftime enabled the Galaxy to switch to a more effective direct attack. “Give credit to them, they came out flying.

“They know how to play on their pitch, you know? With the artificial grass, they're playing balls in behind us, and the ball was sticking, and they were getting to it first, and we came out sleeping a little bit.”

Tijuana's surface has longer “grass” fibers than the artificial fields in play in MLS – Galaxy coach Bruce Arena thinks it has something to do with NFL usage in Seattle and New England – and, unlike most man-man turf, it cuts down on bounces and slows the ball. The Xolos' exemplary home record is built on their familiarity with the surface.

The Galaxy got just one training session on the turf before the match.

“They know exactly how to play on their turf,” Friend said. “They were playing in behind us, where the balls stuck perfectly, and they were getting to every ball behind us. If going into that we knew how they played, I think we could have had a little bit different game plan.”

2. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I do miss the smell of smouldering rubber pellets on gameday.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  3. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd probably be used to the smell, what with the tire fire that your team has been for a while :whistling:

4. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Lambeau Field would beg to differ. They have some of the best grass I've ever seen in some of the worst winter conditions around.

5. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...bers_and_city_rene.html#incart_special-report

This is a very interesting read. In sum, (1) MLS purports to have standards for how turf fields play; (2) Portland's failed last year and that's why they replaced it; (3) there is funding in place through 2035 to ensure it is replaced every 2 years (this is incredible to me, and makes me think grass would be cheaper).

Now, are there really standards for turf fields? Even by the end of last year, when Portland's field purportedly failed some test (which was done at the behest of the Timbers, mind you, and likely done so they could bill the city for a replacement as per their contract with the city), it was the best in the league. If MLS really has standards, how the hell is Seattle's pitch meeting those standards? I'm guessing they aren't enforced by the league at all, if they actually exist.

Mucky repped this.
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so Donovan is blaming the superior artificial turf they have in TJ that plays more like real grass for the loss now?

7. Acts16:31

Acts16:31 New Member

Mar 15, 2014
    It can be done. I was thinking of the Washington playoff game a year ago. Hey trust me I hate artificial turf, especially in soccer.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  8. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    If by "best grass" you mean "dead and brown," then you're right. The only reason it's playable versus other cold weather grass stadia is that they can keep it near freezing so it doesn't just turn to mush.

9. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Don't they scout?

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Any comments about the multiple shitty grass fields we saw in action this past week in mls action?

Kejsare repped this.
  11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yup. Better fields and better greenskeeping would be nice, but I'll take a mucky natural (or mostly natural) field over field turf any and every day - esp if it's professionally maintained.

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    So you don't care when the ball can't roll evenly along the ground and instead just bounces around?

13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    The ball fails to "roll evenly" in either scenario.

14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? While turf might be blamed for crosses skipping across the ground, or failing to slow down like you'd see on a grass field, rolling evenly is not a problem on turf.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what you're talking about, the Dick looked great. ;)

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those bounces can be damn entertaining at times.

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Or failing to slow down too much... as the Galaxy were complaining about in Tijuana.

All the complaints I have seen about artificial surfaces with respect to the behavior of the ball I have seen happen on natural surfaces. The ball bouncing too much? seen it. The ball rolling forever? seen it. Heck, the ball holding up TOO much? yes.

One complaint I haven't seen is about the ball not being able to roll cleanly without bouncing due to an inconsistent surface.

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Overall I thought they held up well considering that this has been an unusually strong winter... I'll take those fields over artificial turf any day as a player or a spectator.

19. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I disagree. You can have different areas of a pitch behave differently either way.

Often a ball on field turf will not roll much the whole game. It sits atop the surface and wants to stumble and bobble. Big bobbles and little bobbles. It's a lot easier to chip or loft a ball cleanly on grass - on turf you use the bobble and lob it.

I think the rub of the ball, basically, is what LA was complaining about. It's really hard to define but amounts to a big deal. Turf can seem alternately too frictionless, and too grippy. But you can get a sticky grass surface too: if its hot and dry, relatively thick grass (not ideal pro quality.) It helps a lot, for example, when the Quakes water Buck Shaw.

20. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Agreed. I don't want to pay money to sit outdoors and stare at a big piece of plastic.

21. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'll pay money to sit outdoors and star at a big patch of dirt and dead grass?

I'd rather watch the game personally, different strokes for different folks I guess...

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you should be staring at the play, not the pitch .... you're doing it wrong to begin with.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, those tarps at Chivas games are annoying aren't they? :D

Bremas, HailtotheKing and itcheyness repped this.
  24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ