"...get to a higher level" (The January Transfer Window Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's still early. There will be plenty of games for Vermaelen.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do. He's not a bad player like Squillaci and I like having a guy of his quality on the bench. It's a long season with fatigue and potential injuries. We are better with him than without him. A new CB, would take time to gel with the other players.

To me, CB isn't a very talent intensive position. You'll go a long way with having a good understanding and chemistry with the teammates beside, in front, and behind you.

Fifty repped this.
  3. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Quoted for truth

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting rid of Vermaellen would be stupid, unless we immediately replaced him with someone at least as good.

We talk so much about needing quality squad depth. TV should be just that. It wasn't long ago that we were singing his praises as one of the best CB's in the Prem. It's way way too early to assume he's a liability, and to risk squad depth by selling him.

At this point we should just hope we stay alive in the cups and he gets a good amount of first team playing time, builds himself back up and doesn't feel compelled to jump ship.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's the thing. We most likely can't replace him with someone better, so someone as good but without the cohesion and chemistry that Verm already has is a negative in my book. TV was our captain at one point, so you have to assume that he's respected in the squad.

6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think a lot of us will have to temper our expectations about the Jan window. I feel there's going to be a lot of LANS talk out of Wenger's mouth because of all the players coming back from injury. It would be a great time to sign some "insurance" to get us through to the end of the season but players who will not upset the good vibes and team unity we have going right now.

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not terrible, but then he's lost a LOT of his game. He can regain it, however Kos and Per are the top dudes right now, so he has to bide his time. and may miss his country's WC, but there you go.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arshavin was good also, and we know what happened there.

9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For every Arshavin there's a Flamini that most of us had written off.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    WE LOST! BUY EVERYONE! WENGER OUT!

Although we were lacking without Flamini today, are there any other players in his mould we could look at?

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we need a striker more than anything and a defender.....2 defensive/holding mids in arteta and flamini may be enbough

12. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We go all out for Gundogan... They are not like for like, but we don't need an enforcer. We can get bye with someone who has good positioning and is comfortable in possession. Gundogan, Ramsey and Ozil would be amazing.

P. S. jack would be depth, or ship him to Barca for £40mil+.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    bender/sahin/gundogan any would do from bvb

there are other cm options out there too, I wonder if it is way too early for zelalem?

14. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be interesting. Wenger has a contract situation to address. If he is complicit then I'd assume that he is ready to move on. We need a DM and a striker.

15. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem and Gnabry are at least two seasons away from pushing for a spot.

16. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last transfer thread I posted that Fellaini wasn't technically adept enough to be an Arsenal player. In light of Flamini's contributions, does that still matter (that a player isn't technical enough)? On one hand, Flam doesn't seem to have much trouble controlling the ball. Maybe we could use another Flamini.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does Fellaini do what Flamini does away from the ball?

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    feillani is more of a physical pressence, flamini has the workrate and is quicker

19. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Gundogan is suffering from genetic back problems, doesn't look too great for him, interest is waning from Real Madrid. Hopefully for us he'll come back and not reinjure himself.

Bender is injury prone, can't play consistently.

Sahin needs to have a protected environment, otherwise he'll flop elsewhere, Klopp gives him a good environment and trusts him, and only now are the rewards paying off. Not saying Wenger can't offer that, but don't expect immediate results from him.

thebigman repped this.
  20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    flamini is a different type of player to fellaini. flamini is much less likely to wander, puts more effort in and is more vocal and a better organiser. he will never (or rarely) score you a goal though, which is where fellaini is much more dangerous (when on form and interested).
    anyway, can you imagine the tongue twisting commentators would have to do if those 2 kept playing 1-2's to each other?

21. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    I would like to see Frimpong given a chance. The boy can be a very good squad player for us. He loves the club and wouldnt complain to be on the bench. Hope Wenger doesnt get rid of him.

22. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Lets sell him. He is blocking Tomas Eisfield's progress and he is a future key player.

23. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Lets sell him. He is blocking Tomas Eisfield's progress and he is a future key player.

24. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania

25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I get the impression you want him sold.