"...get to a higher level" (The January Transfer Window Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnionFan11

UnionFan11 Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not a done deal.. and he came out and said he aspires to play in the EPL one day... how can it hurt to offer 30M for him??

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    damien martinez has gone on a month long loan to sheffield wednesday.

3. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was just being nice to the English media and possibly trying to create competition to drive his price up. All indications are that he is going to bayern and has been going there for some time.

4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really with Lewa, even though it makes sense to add the salary into the transfer fee, it would upset the wage structure, which will not be destroyed, no matter the cost.

It also would be weird to pay him 250k when Ozil is on ~1/2 that.

5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Why? He's a world class striker, which is even rarer to find than a world class #10

6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree, but it won't happen. For whatever reason, the club holds the wage structure above all.

7. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he's world class, then Giroud is world class too. The two of them are very similar type of players, just that Lewandowski scored against Madrid and everyone overrates him. People are going to be in for a surprise next season when he leaves Dortmund and doesn't have the best midfield in the world supporting him.

charlie15 repped this.
  8. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Lewandowski is faster than Giroud by some margin and a more accurate shooter (especially with his head). His highlight reel really reminds me of a Gerd Muller highlight reel.

I know Ravel Morrison is the flavor of the moment right now, but his ability to run with the ball is a delight, and something that's lacking from AFC at the moment. A player who had a little bit of that quality would really help the attack.

(and we still need another CB, maybe another RB, and we have to think about replacing the Flamini/Arteta player within the next 18 months)

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol at giroud being as good as lewa............

lewondowski is a player real should've signed, not bale

they need a striker badly as benzema is shit

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He hasn't put pen to paper, but that's about it. He agreed terms with them a LONG time ago, and it's unlikely that he goes back on them.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    While I agree that Giroud is world class (or close to it), Lewandowski is the best striker in the world at the moment. He's faster than Giroud and a much better finisher. Lewandowski isn't better than Giroud at everything a striker does, but Giroud seems better at:

1. Hold up play with his back to the goal
    2. One touch play

The two have equally good movement, but Lewandowski's pace and finishing ability means that defenders have to worry more about where he is. And he's much, much better at facing up defenders and creating space, and he can create his own shot. We're going to be amazed at what he does at Bayern next season supported by the likes of Robben, Ribery, Kroos, Muller, Piggy, Martinez, Lahm, Gotze, and a few others I'm probably forgetting. He's the player Guardiola wanted when he signed Ibrahimovic at Barcelona. And he has none of Ibra's attitude.

12. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    overrated because he scored a hat trick in the champions league semi final, against the greatest club in the history of the game? if there is any reason to correctly "rate" a striker, it's for that.

yeah he'll really struggle playing in front of that awful midfield that bayern have.

UnionFan11, daedalus and mebeSajid repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't hurt I guess, but from what little I know, Dortmund isn't eager to let anybody else important go without a fight.

Still I'm in favor of throwing our money in almost any other direction than LFC/Saurez. Did you see his dive against Argentina? Obviously he'll never really change. Let him play in La Liga.

Kanuuuu repped this.
  14. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's not going to start ahead of very underrated Mandzukic (who suits Bayern better and can actually hold onto the ball unlike Lewandowski). It would be a pretty stupid career move for him to go to Bayern, but he could very well be starting to realize that.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    mandzukic contributes, but he isn't actually that talented. he is limited, but he uses what he has quite well and is a team player.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol lewa is infinitely better

17. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    No, there are better strikers out there than Lewandowski, or at least horseshoes-close enough. There is no like Ozil.

18. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Benteke will be expensive, new deal or not, but not past the point where we can't afford him, and better than most of other options we've circulated around here.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so my question with acquiring a striker during the january window is whether we need a front liner. i have been on giroud being good enough to be our first choice starter since summer and the start of this season has not changed that. i also have been on the need for a different striker to 1) spell giroud and, frankly, 2) to challenge him. i won't make the pointless argument against a lewandowski - if he was to become miraculously available - i am uncertain if it would be wise to spend, say, in the range of 18-22 (or is that wrong?) for a benteke (just as an example) if he is not going to be an automatic first choice. obviously, i think we are all in agreement that sanogo is nowhere near ready and i think a lot of us do not like podolski and walcott so much up front so we need someone. but someone for 18-22?

i think somebody else said it the best to me: i want somebody a lot like bentdner . . . just, y'know, not bendtner.

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't mind somebody like Thierry Henry

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's give it up to YG!
    Gazidis on Spurs' NBC link: "There was a Bale poster in Time Square. He doesn't play for Spurs anymore, he now plays for one of our rivals."

Ooouch!

22. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
  23. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, Euro champs, and a small club in a shitty league...

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does anybody want Vermaelan to stay? i don't, i think he's lost his shine.

25. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't played in forever. It's hard to say if he should stay or not. He definitely shouldn't go until we have another starting caliber CB to replace him (or two more).