"...get to a higher level" (The January Transfer Window Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but we need a striker* now. Center mid can wait. If we can get in an Arteta replacement in now who is okay being a depth player near-term, great. But we don't need a center mid this season.

*For the record, I think Giroud is good enough to win titles with as our lead striker. I just think we could use one more reliable man as an option there. But it wouldn't surprise me if Wenger thinks that we are okay between Pod, Theo, Nik and Sanogo and doesn't buy anybody. And it also wouldn't shock me if he's proven correct.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we need a striker before a cm

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man what a difference 6 mos makes! Remember how most of us felt about Giroud at the tale end of last season, how he seemed to be becoming less effective. And many doubted his long-term quality. Now, ever since pre-season he's been a new man. Keep it up and don't you dare pick up an injury during Internationals!

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought he was good enough. (shrugs)

5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of shocking that Ozil was only 42m. He was the best player who moved clubs in summer. I think we'll have to pay uncomfortable amounts to get anyone who we actually think is on the radar. Hopefully we can take reclamation players from Bayern/Real and get some relative bargains. There's got to be a spare CM sitting in Munich. Getting a striker is going to be a real problem. Frankly, the prospects available aren't very exciting.

6. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For now we don't need a CM, but 1-2 seasons from now things could be different. Arteta will need to be replaced and I don't get a feeling Flamini will stick to us for too long, if he left us for money before he'll probably do it again. If Wilshere can develop his defensive game we might not need another CM, but it seems Wenger wants him playing higher on the pitch.

We do need a striker, at least a new 2nd-3rd choice striker. I am still not sold on Giroud and I feel we need someone better than him on the long run, but even if he's first choice Sanogo is nowhere near ready for games, while Bendtner's career with us is more or less over and it's best for him to never play for us again.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, Mirror is back today with the Suarez to Arsenal in January story. According to the author, Liverpool is resigned to lose LS.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rodgers and co. could finish top four this season. so suarez would leave for champions league football which he could get at liverpool?

9. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone really think that after the entire season Liverpool will be better than City, Utd Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs?

10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No. They're playing super good right now but their defense is suspect. And to a certain extent, so is their midfield.

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Liverpool wants to cash in on Suarez, the best time to do it may be in January or next summer. There is no guarantee he will get to the CL with Liverpool anyway.... If he goes to Real, he is automatically playing CL football every year.

12. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Pogba and Gundogan are two different players IMHO.

I actually think there will be player movement in the window, long as the money is right. Frankly I don't care about buying a cuptied (CL) striker rather win the EPL first and then strengthen for a push for the CL next year (I know sue me for being optimistic)

13. GunnerDawg

GunnerDawg Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that Lawandowski fellow is quite good... But in all honesty Arsenal just need to sign a serviceable striker. While I would love for them to bring in someone world class, if they could bring in someone who could score some goals and spell Giroud, I'd be ok with that. Maybe an Eduardo type?

14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After every WC and Euros player prices are ridiculous. If Liverpool are playing it smart they'll wait for summer even with the chance that Uruguay won't qualify. Every Florentino wannabe wants the hot commodity from the WC right after it's done.

15. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sadly, there are not many Flo-posters. If only stupidity of that magnitude was an actual virus that could spread...

16. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IMHO they have a good chance of finishing above Spurs, I still feel that the current Spurs team has issues with scoring goals and will struggle in the harder away games. The only hard away game they have faced so far is against us and in that match they never looked likely to score a goal. They might finish above Utd too if Utd doesn't wake up and get their act together, cause the current Utd defo doesn't look like a top 4 team. But they probably won't finish above the other 3 unless they get lucky.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    gundogan and pogba are quite similar in terms of ability, pogba has more of a presence physically but gundogan is an amazing game controller with his passing and positioning

him and sahin are both players we should look at, even after Liverpool wasted sahin

18. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But then if Liverpool are still top four in January, why would Rodgers sell? It wouldn't make sense for them, since they're shooting themselves in the foot.

19. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see Giroud getting 20 plus goals this season. Though we need to get in another striker in January, it's a must IMO.

20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I agree. Liverpool are looking immense this year. Say all you wish about their "quality".. but with a safe keeper, Last year's should have been league top goal scorer Suarez (was halted because of his ban), Daniel Sturridge breaking through in form and one of the most creative maestros Coutinho, they have enough difference makers in one team. More than Spurs and United.

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sahin's not going to leave Dortmund after his experiences at Real and Liverpool.

Gundogan's more of a threat to get forward than Pogba is, but you wonder if Pogba's sheer physicality would make him a better fit for the Premier League: aka Yaya Toure 2.0

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pogba can get forward too

but gundogan is superior imo

23. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And Gundogan is apparently out of the 1st Arsenal game. Along with a ton of other starters. And the manager. :)

thebigman repped this.
  24. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago

Bendtner can score- http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/world-cup/denmark-v-italy-live-video-updates/

But I'd rather have someone with his exact skillset (but not him) as a backup for Giroud.

25. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States