Germany vs. Italy

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Astan, Mar 11, 2009.

1. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I respect your opinion as well. From a neutral fan's perspective, you would may like to see a team continuing to score. But, in the same sense, I've seen some fans turn off a game a 4-0 and say "this game is over, let's watching something more exciting?" I've done this myself. For instance, I was choosing recently to watch a Real-minnow La Liga team and two mid-table Bundesliga clubs. I initially began watching the Real match because it's always great to see star players and good football. But, when the match was 3-0 at half time, I lost interest, thought it was boring, and flipped to a good 1-1 matchup between the German sides.

Also, my opinion is not as much from the viewpoint of a fan but trying to put myself in the shoes of the respective teams. I don't know if it's necessarily an Italian philosophy, but Italian teams will typically employ "the mercy rule" when the match is in hand. This is also a reason why you rarely see a side beat another 5-0 or 6-1 in Serie A like you often see in La Liga and the EPL. Whether a part of the Italian philosophy or not, I do believe in showing respect and mercy to your fellow professionals. Continuing to mount attacking waves and scoring for fun, just demoralizes your opponent as much (if not more) than showing the superiority of your team. In a way, after awhile, it is showing a lack of respect.

Just my two cents.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The BuLi title may come down to goal difference between BvB and Bayern. If that is the case, this whole "mercy to your weaker fellow football players" could have decided to title simply because of respect. Sorry, that's not going to fly here.

3. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For a league match it becomes relevant, but the match we were talking about was the 2nd leg of a CL knockout round when Barcelona were already through. No need to demoralize your opponent in that situation by running up the scoreline.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, while we all suck this year when compared to Spanish football, Bundesliga sucked a bit less than La Liga...

5. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean Serie A?

6. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't buy in the least into this logic. I commend a team for continuing to look for goals. And such a big defeat is a handy wake-up call for the losing side.

This ain't some league composed of primary school children. This is pro football.

7. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Okay, great. That is your opinion. I didn't say it to try to get buyers. I said it because that has some players/teams/clubs/professionals do think, especially for a game which has all but secured by the time it was 3-0.

8. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Thanks for responding, I see your point. I guess this really is a difference in football philosophy.
    While seeing the merits of both rationales I would wonder if in practice the easing upsometimes has less to do with mercy and professional respect than a certain bit of laziness. I guess it also comes down to what kind of scoreline you're talking about, one or two up or three or four.

Personally, I definitely follow your opinion and train of thought when a game is clearly decided, although I wouldn't know if a game that is basically over, becomes less boring if the winning side eases up. My preferred strategy in this situation is for the winning team coach to sub in some second-line players to get some playing time. This gives these players a chance to develop and to show themselves and helps to perhaps make it a bit easier for the losing side. I fault Heynckes for frequently neglecting to do that in games where Bayern has basically already won after 60 or so minutes. Players like Usami, Petersen, Pranjic and Contento could be subbed in much more often.
    However, while a game is undecided I think it is always a better display of sportsmanship to continue to look for goals instead of parking the bus to hold on to a lead. As I said, in that way you are giving the losing side a better chance of turning the game. In a sense it's like a double or nothing on a bet.

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good discussion. I agree wholeheartedly that when a match is in hand, playing the youngsters is the best for their development as well as the team. It gives them an opportunity to play in a real-life, big situation. Not, the preliminary rounds of a cup matchup against a division 3 team or anything.