Germany votes 2013 - Mutti winning a third term?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by White/Blue_since1860, Sep 22, 2013.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FDP, AFD and Piraten not making it, almost a majority for CDU/CSU itself.

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If it stays like this the whole political landscape has shifted. Still no clear majorities.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    She's Mutti? Heckuva nickname.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, in the 1200 years of German history since Charlemagne we never had a female head of state.....

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also because she does not tackle issues but just reacts to them, this election campaign wasn't about actual political positions, but just about feeling well. The relationship many of her voters have with her is that of a mother, not that of a head of state.

6. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I see an Oedipus analogy somewhere in there...

FDP wandering about blinded after going to bed with Mutti?

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    May I mention that Merkel isn't head of state and all?

Dage repped this.
  8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Good point ;)

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #10 Borussia, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Well, it's always risky going to bed with a chameleon. After all, the FDP got what she deserved (sensational failure after the 15 % from 4 years ago) and won't be missed. :p

Since Angie has lost her alleged "dream partner", she will be forced into a coalition with her "friends" from SPD or the Green Party if she doesn't reach an absolute majority. I'd prefer the SPD to stay in opposition and keep her in suspense after the painful experience from 2009 ... let's see if the Green Party will help her out. Fact is that she'll have to make a lot of concessions (dearly purchased victory) if she doesn't reach the absolute majority and wants to form a government.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/merkel-wins-third-term-in-general-election-a-923755.html

If the Left Party wasn't that stubborn in many aspects (especially concerning foreign politics), Angela Merkel would be possibly history right now despite her win.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Good sex, though. :whistling:

Dead Fingers repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's my takeaway from a distance, that is from the English and American coverage of Merkel. She's soothing and promises no changes. The comfort of mama's arms.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    [​IMG]

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    head of government, then.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linke = left party right?

What is the AfD?

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Technically speaking it is the successor of the Left Party, but the terms are used kind of interchangeably in English.

To avoid benztown's wrath I'll just link :p:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_for_Germany

16. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    #17 benztown, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Hey, I'm cool, I'll just respond to posts I disagree with ;)

BTW, it's not that the AfD is my personal Jesus now. I have no problem disagreeing with them on stuff like gay marriage. On some of these social issues they are too conservative for my taste and I'm still closer to the FDP in that regard. But I think their economic argument is an important one and needs to be raised. It's a disgrace that the two most important issues for Germany right now, the Euro and our energy policy hasn't been addressed at all in this campaign cycle by parties other than the AfD. Our energy policy currently costs Germans €15 billion every year, and not just tax payers, but everyone via their energy bill and it's only getting worse...next year we'll probably be closer to €20 billion. Similarly, German savers alone are paying €15 billion in 2013 via their artificially low interest rates, and that's just the tip of the iceberg, once countries start to default (although they will call it something other than "default"), costs will go up into the hundreds of billions.

The amount of wealth that is destroyed through these policies is unfathomable. I'm especially baffled by the silence of the left parties on this, as both issues are particularly tough on their constituency. High electricity bills have the biggest impact on the poor and so does a weak Euro. A strong currency on the other hand would be equivalent to wage/welfare increases across the board, something the left parties like to demand.
    I mean I can understand why a pro business party like the FDP would endorse the Euro, as a weak Euro is indeed good for business. But it's terrible for the people.

To go back to analyzing the election, I think this was also the downfall of the FDP. With their great 2009 result, they should have focused on selling their free-market policy to the average joe, trying to convince them that a free market will ultimately benefit them. Instead, they reverted to being pro-business and nothing else, which made them look like total sell-outs (and probably rightfully so).

17. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here's a map of how the various electoral districts voted:
    CDU/CSU: Black
    SPD: Red
    Linke: Purple

[​IMG]

Of course this map isn't as informative as in countries with a majority system where the winner of a district takes it all (i.e. the seat), but I think it's still rather interesting to see. I wouldn't have thought that the CDU would get that kind of support...

18. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Looking forward, this is a poll done right after the election:

[​IMG]

It's about how Germans view the various options for a coalition government. On the left are the positive sentiments, on the right the negative ones.

As one can easily see, a coalition between CDU/CSU and SPD would have the approval of 64% of the voters while the other two options aren't particularly popular.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A picture is worth a thousand words.
    [​IMG]
    [*Ladies' choice]

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The left is in a mess in Germany.

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why?

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The left party and the greens have tanked. The SDP is Not a strong alternative.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    At least the pirate party is on its way to become yet another left wing splinter faction...too bad, their digital policy platform was actually quite decent.

On a different note, there really aren't any non-left parties anymore. The CDU has transformed into a black colored SPD, the FDP had pushed the self destruct button and the AfD also didn't make it into parliament. One might make a case for the CSU, but I'd argue that this would be more due to rhetoric than actual policy.

24. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agreed there is no left vs right In Germany it's two centrist parties one centre left (SDP) and one center-center (CDU) a two party system.