German report says Chandler back in the fold for Russia...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by j0osh, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true, I hate it when players bail on their NT during important games over consecutive years. Maybe it's too high of standards to believe if you're healthy and you're called, you show up.

Too bad I don't treat our NT like youth soccer where players can come and go as they please. Maybe that's my issue.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not in any particular order, is it?

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just random.

StillKickin repped this.
  5. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another perspective and I'll start by saying I am on the skeptical side with TC and am not any happier than anyone else with his coming and going.

1. At the end of the day, most of us would do the same thing given the same options. Here's a kid who is pretty young, talented (we all see that) and has the rare opportunity to choose between two different national teams, regardless of how realistic one really is. One of those teams is a world-class, consistently top 5 team. The other is up and coming but still 10 years or so from being a consistent world-power. If you would tie yourself straight away to the weaker side, you will know and always wonder. as fans this doesn't make us happy, but step back and not many of us would do anything different. Try not to burn any bridges, set anything in stone and keep working your butt off for your current club.

2. He's young, talented and makes his living with his club side. Therefore, club coach advice > USMNT coach advice. Period. Again, as a fan we don't like this, but as a business man I totally get it.

3. Think about how many good dual national players we either didn't know about or never had a snowballs chance in hell of landing during the shit show years of he USMNT. The fact that good quality young players are even considering signing over their prime playing years to us speaks volumes to the progress we have made. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Dooley, Regis, et. al.. but if you think a player at the end of their career, who has never played international ball for their other, better option is the same as this, you are mistaken. I, for one, am pleased players like TC are even considering the USMNT.

4. I don't have any more inside knowledge than anyone else on this board, but I can't believe for one minute that JK just nonchalantly called TC in with no "Come to Jurgen" (see what I did there) conversation. JK might not be a 30 year coaching veteran, but he's not spring chicken when it comes to international soccer. Just look at the lesson JC taught Altidore. That took balls and savvy. I can"t remember where, but I read an interview recently where Jozy was quoted as saying JC was right to leave him off because he wasn't working hard enough.

Just my .02

Berks, BostonRed and Namdynamo repped this.
  6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference here is while Chandler hasn't been playing well this season (which isnt even true as of the past few weeks), Lichaj hasnt even been playing this season.

7. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder we made it to the hex, we had divine intervention! That would certainly explain how Eddie Johnson suddenly realized there's no rules against moving forward with the ball.

8. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    There is probably another reason Timmy had a change of heart. His club team probably gave him the green light to play for the USMNT. FC Nurnburg might be relegated and Tim's value as a potential transfer target improves if he is playing for a national team even it is the USMNT.

HopperKowalski and Berks repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jond, I have no problems with those standards, and we don't avoid the issue when he's called to camp. But to completely avoid him spites us, which in the big scheme of things, you just cannot hold a grudge here.

Find a way to discuss the fact that he jerked the team around while still calling him in.

We are absolutely not beggars and shouldn't act like beggars. We also need his skills, so, be proud, have conversations, and figure out a way to cap tie him.

Bocanegra as Captain (if he's present) should also be having a conversation with him. That's his job.

10. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oops.. no way to fix it now.. my bad..

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't said to avoid him permanently though. I haven't said to hold an indefinite grudge. I've said I'd rather wait to call him in Feb, and only call him for cap tying games until he is capped. Make him prove he's on board. A friendly doesn't do that.

I'm on the side which says don't waste a spot on a friendly roster for a flake, when he might decide to not come in Feb. The other side says bring him in, and if he doesn't come in Feb, then I'm done with him. Well, then wait till Feb. Call him and cap tie him then. Wasting a spot this week does nothing to certify he'll be here for the long run. It's Feb which matters.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Tim would have been sold regardless. He may be the most valuable asset on the squad. He's already a highly rated player. He doesn't need the USMNT to improve his stock.

13. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    I think Chandler is very good. I thought he and F. Johnson had great chemistry together in the Slovenia friendly. However, I Agree with those of you who think Chandler should be committed to the USMNT if he in fact has agreed to participate in the friendly, especially if he is invited at the expense of another qualified player. Chandler can help the US qualify for the World Cup. Of the US qualifies, he will most likely be selected to play in the most prized tournament! He has this opportunity now and I don't think he will pass it up any longer in hopes of a German callup. Bit of he misses the nnext qualifiers, Klinnsman should drop him.

14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. Fair points. I just think it's better to try to integrate him and continue to work on him for Feb. Having him in camp and participating is better than not, and I just don't see who he's leaving off the roster in his place. He's not bumping anyone (I want Lichaj in too, but Jurgen is not calling him so it's a moot point).

I like integrating him now and getting him to learn the squad again - assuming some conversation was had about returning in Feb - rather than throwing him into the fire in the Hex.

It's 23 spots on the roster, I view this one as calculated risk, and a positive one in light of the fact that we need another RB and could use width and a potential back up RM. We need him, ergo, he gets invited.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But international play can help. It's always a positive if you perform well, and at this part in the hex it's not like he's playing Antigua & Barbuda and puts that on his resume.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  16. Yaznasty

Yaznasty Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about being prideful, it's about wasting a roster spot on a guy who has given us every reason to believe he is not committing any time soon. When he skipped Gold Cup 2011, it was okay. When he skipped the first part of qualifying this Summer, it was a pattern. When he skipped all of the qualifiers, it was a big red flag. Now he wants to come back for more friendlies? Why shouldn't we just bring in another potential future right back who we know will commit to playing with the US. What do we have to gain by having Tim Chandler for a friendly? I want him full time or not at all. I've heard that we have nothing to worry about because Germany isn't calling him, but there's no reason to think he couldn't keep playing this game and maybe Germany calls next cycle. Can't totally blame him; if I thought I had any shot of playing for the nation that I felt more connected to, I would probably not want to give up that chance. But if that's what he wants, it's a waste of our time to keep trying.

17. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Waiting to cap tie him makes little sense considering we are his only real option. With the final round of qualifying coming up it's important toget him back in the picture. I would also think at this time he and JK have had a come to Jesus, if you will, and there is no turning back for Tim . Last, imo regardless of what anyone thinks he is out best option come WC 2014

Berks and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the first time that Williams, Jones, Johnson, Boyd and Chandler get called up?
    In other words, is this the first time they all 5 simultaneously get called up?

19. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all got called up last November for the Russia/Slovenia friendlies.

20. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to mention Boyd, but yeah, your right, they got called up for Slovenia, but only 2 started.

21. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean if he isn't going to commit, f*k him right?

I just see it as he has no obvious loyalties to the US, and it doesn't help that hes a young immature professional. But he has got no chances with Germany, the only the way he is going to see the field in the World Cup is with the US.

I love Cherundolo and Parkhurst and all but they're not gonna keep the opposing fullbacks back with their pace on the ball. So inevitably he is going to play for us or not play in any International games... at all.

Klinsmann is not a pushover, he is just playing a patient game with Chandler. JK holds all the cards. Joachim Low is not going to call up Chandler while he is in charge of the national team.
    1) Germany has better options.
    2)Timmy Chandler has been poor this season.
    3)Timmy has basically dissed the German team as well.

So I think inevitably he is gonna be playing for us for the next qualifers. Otherwise no world cup for Timmy.

22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What wasted roster spot? What potential future RB beyond maybe Michael Parkhurst? (And don't tell me Beitashour.) What tons of winger options? That's my point. If there was another stellar RB waiting in the wings I would be fine with not inviting Chandler until Feb. But there isn't one with Lichaj's current form and Jurgen's reluctance to invite him. That is the problem. Parkhurst will most likely also be invited to camp unless his club keeps him out. So with Parkhurst already invited, whose roster spot is Chandler taking?

We need more RBs and potential wingers. End of story. And it's not a waste of time since he accepted. I for one am hoping that means he will be back in Feb. Hopefully this gives him every opportunity to do so.

If he turns us down then, he's dead to us. Because of timing Feb will literally be his last shot unless something catastrophic happens. But I just don't see how this is a waste of time.

23. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole Germany conspiracy is the result of creative minds, not a reflection of reality.

Never has it seemed like a decent explanation of Chandler's situation.

I wonder what creative excuses we can find to explain away the fact that Chandler has not been called in during a significant slump in form , but upon signs of life gets called back in? Maybe Chandler is conspiring with the Lizard people sent by gray aliens from another Galaxy to infiltrate the USMNT?

Hmm...much to chew on...

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it 6, apparently Julian Green has been called according to his dad.

25. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Whoa, where'd you read this?