German report says Chandler back in the fold for Russia...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by j0osh, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is committed to us I think this callup makes sense. Give him some time to integrate himself with the team before the games start to matter.
    HOWEVER, if he dips out with a bruised pinkie finger before qualifiers I think we should close the door on him...at least for this WC cycle:)

Tom Collingsworth and Berks repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been just as many articles saying JK was not at all happy with Timmy for flaking, twice. There was also an article saying JK wouldn't even call him and Chandler was the one who had to initiate contact to even talk to JK.

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Those articles you are referring too are either wrong or Chandler initiated the contact so he can earn a spot on the roster again.

Either way it is something to look forward to in a positive light.

Berks and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we'll just have to disagree. Timmy cap tied to us is a positive. Playing in a friendly and possibly ditching us in Feb, is not.

BTW, JK being in favor of a player wanting to concentrate on his club instead of showing up for important games goes against his dealings with others on the team. There's no evidence to suggest JK is fine with players putting their club before the NT. When transfering to a club, and we have friendlies? Yes. But for important games, he wants his troops there. Hell, JK wasn't happy when LD didn't show up last year when LA was in the playoffs, but he understood. He called in Clint instead of letting him just concentrate on breaking in at Spurs. He called in Boyd instead of letting him concentrate on his transfer to Rapid. He calls in Fabian and Williams when Hoffenheim was struggling, and didn't let them just stay back there to concentrate on turning the team around. He called in MB when MB could have been concentrating on breaking into Roma.

I see no evidence which suggests JK is fine with his players putting club before country. If there is, which other player has skipped as many cap tying games the past two years when healthy?

5. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Not a fan of calling him up for this and potentially wasting more time with this saga, I'd rather call him up in matches that count to settle the issue.

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Once again calling him up now and having him ease his way back into things is better for him and the USA in the long run.

FloridaFC2MLS and Berks repped this.
  7. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    As long as he doesn't start flaking out again you mean.

Ghosting repped this.
  8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. While Zusi and EJ can play some wide right, I don't think either is what I'd call a winger. EJ is more of a forward who has some speed. Zusi is a CM who can cross in some excellent balls. Chandler can run all day, is faster than either. I think Tim, if he's committed, can play 3 spots for us. He can backup Dolo and Parkhurst at RB, he can play some LB, and he can play some RM). Plus, with him in the fold, we have a nice set of wingbacks (TC, Dolo, and FJ) if we want to go 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 late in games to get a goal.

This is good news. I'll take all the talented players starting in big four leagues I can get playing for the USMNT. Dolo won't last forever, and TC is ahead of Lichaj in my book. And we'd be set at FB: Dolo, Fabain, TC, Parkhurst. Plus, Cameron & Williams could slide out in a pinch, and Boca in a super pinch. That's 7 players more than capable of playing FB. More than enough.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Drang nach Osten!

A typical German.

11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks. So maybe he will call him up instead of cherundelo?

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need RBs and wingers. Period. And unfortunately, it looks like JK doesn't like Lichaj (I do). In light of that, as long as Chandler commits in Feb, I have no problems with the call up. But he's gotta commit in Feb.

We are just not swimming in RBs and cannot afford to hold grudges here. He commits in Feb, we move on, and I hope he's great. I personally think he's got great upside.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. There are 20+ spots. I don't see who he's bumping at RB to get that spot. Except Eric Lichaj, but apparently Jurgen thinks he has the plague, so there you go. And he's not bumping another midfielder because we need another RB. Parkhurst? We've already seen plenty of him.

Why hurt yourself just to hold a grudge? I don't get it. I have no interest in shooting myself in the foot. Bring him in now, room him with one of the veterans that waxes lyrical about the team (Dempsey, Dolo, Bocanegra or Howard are all fine with me), and give it a go for Feb. Waiting until Feb makes no sense to me. Try to help ourselves, not hurt. We have to be the adults here if it benefits us.

Now, some of you don't rate Chandler, so you might not care for the call up at all. Fair enough. But to be pissed off and hold a grudge? What's the point?

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Klinsmann is a fool to do this before he plays in a qualifier.

15. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Every Villa game I have seen this season Lichaj has been crap bordering on super crap. His set piece marking is horrible and he gets beat for goals way too often. Why no Lichaj? He hasn't done enough yet to justify a roster spot.

16. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

If you are implying that he could still change his mind I would disagre because Tim has little or no chance to play for Germany. If it has to with commitment to international play I would say JK is doing the right thing to bring him in for a friendly.

JK will be able to see where Tim's game is at and will be able to see first hand how the team recieves Tim.

bye_urn and Berks repped this.
  17. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Just a thought:
    RB Tim C
    RM Josh G
    and Joe G

all attacking some teams left side. looks good on paper anyway.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of speed but not the best crossing group of players

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chandler might be the best crosser in the pool.

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Davis

Fanatical Monk and FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  21. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    In order to be a part of the player pool you actually have to be a part of the player pool. :p

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he is US eligible.

But if otherwise. Chandler, Zusi, Donovan, Spector.

23. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes he is US eligible. Just has not been in the player pool for a couple cycles now.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This. I think we have to swallow our pride when it comes to guys like this. Wish this was a cap-tying opportunity though.

Berks repped this.
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Keep an eye out for the greater whole. Who does it benefit for us to be prideful? No one. Now if he doesn't come in Feb? Book closed, see ya later, asta la vista, goodbye. He comes in Feb, we've got 1.5 years to integrate him, and we need him for the hex. That's plenty of time.

ImaPuppy repped this.