German NT Youth Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: German NT Youth Discussion Thread "The Golden Generation"

I think Hummels can wait until the World Cup is over. Howedes I wouldn't mind, I also wouldn't mind slapping Magath in the face for playing him LB all season but that's another story. If Hitzverage is not going to make the World Cup team and another DM/ defensive-minded CM is being brought, I'd prefer Frings if he keeps his Werder Bremen form. Hummels isn't even truly establishing himself at Dortmund this season, unless we are going to rate players based on U-tournaments.

2. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Was watching the match, he shot the ball twice just outside the penalty box n the first one was just wide n the 2nd one was a disgrace. Both were easy n should be at least on target.

He needs to improve his left foot shooting accuracy

This isn't the Thomas Mueller we see in Bayern Munich. Not half as aggressive. N he didn't show his high work-rate n mobility either. I think he had 2 chances but their keeper is truly impressive.
    Maybe thats becoz he wass used as a targetman during the game? Not his best position(imo should be second forward)......n he is also very cautious.

Thomas Mueller is weird. He has never been nominated regularly in the younger junior NTs. N even when he was earlier this season, he postponed his U21 debut by claiming himself "injured" but appeared in Bayern Munich's starting lineup 3-4 days later!

3. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Rainer Adrion has called up the Bender twins for the U21 Euro qualification matches against Northern Ireland and San Marino.

The squad:

Goal: Sippel (1. FC Kaiserslautern), Ulreich (VfB Stuttgart)

Defence: Badstuber (Bayern München), Bastians (SC Freiburg), Diekmeier (1. FC Nürnberg), Höwedes (Schalke 04), Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund), Langkamp (Karlsruher SC), Schwaab (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfield: Bargfrede (Werder Bremen), Sven Bender (Borussia Dortmund), Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen), Reinartz (Bayer Leverkusen), Rudy (VfB Stuttgart), Sam (1. FC Kaiserslautern)

Attack: Choupo-Moting (1. FC Nürnberg), Schieber (VfB Stuttgart), Sukuta-Pasu (Bayer Leverkusen), Müller (Bayern München)

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...811/artikel_Adrion-nominiert-die-Benders.html

Now that the Benders have finally been promoted to the U21 Mannschaft, Hummels really could be promoted to the senior team. They can do his job just fine.

It's a pretty strong squad (on paper) again, looking forward to see what this age group is able to pull off.

4. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Isn't Thomas Müller playing for the senior team? Christopher Nothe and Deniz Naki (injured?) can be very good replacements too.

Kinda worry about Sukuta-Pasu now. He can't even make Leverkusen's bench these days.

6. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Müller will play the first U21 match against Northern Ireland and then join the senior team for the Ivory Coast friendly. Müller won't be in the squad for the Chile match.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Very solid and balanced squad. I agree about Hummels, no need to have the Benderes, Hummels and Reinartz on the same team.

Great prospect though having the Benders play behind Kroos. Should be interesting. :D

8. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Don't think so. This squad lacks speedy wingers like Gebhart, Holtby or Naki. Only really wingers in midfield are Sam and Müller.

9. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Holtby and Naki are both injured aren't they? Or else they'll be called up. It doesn't help when Nsereko is also unavailable

I would drop Sukuta-Pasu and have Christopher Nothe instead. RSP is totally out of form and i dun think he is really for U21 yet.

Sukuta-Pasu should be playing U20 with Schürrle, Testroet, Esswein and Fabian Bäcker. That will be more sensible.

Edgar Prib and Marco Reus are some very good wingers who are not nominated.

10. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Holtby is apparently still injured, thought he would be fit by the weekend. Naki is not nominated because of his bad behaviour after the game against Rostock. Prib is also injured as far as I know. Gebhart is probably not nominated because of bad performances recently. Reus would have been a possibility.
    Sven Bender is out for the games with a tigh-injury as I read

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think the spine of the team is good and that is the foundation of any good team.

12. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Holtby will very likely be called up in near future, he is simply too talented not to. He is injured. Naki was already called up a while ago, expect him to be back soon.

Gebhart definitely has the talent, but what he did in that U21 match a while ago was pretty damn stupid. He needs to 'earn' his place with good performances for his club first. Stuttgart are in a crisis though, not the best environment atm.

13. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I would also keep an eye on Reus if we talk about "speedy wingers".

14. seashore10

seashore10 Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Reus is quick, has a sense of teamwork and a clear goal in mind (to score rather than to dribble).
    I think he's technically weaker if compared with Marin. I also think there are some differences between the two players so I won't say he is a Marin-type.
    From the match with VfB, Reus always used his speed to break through and made crosses directly. If at the same situation I think Marin will prefer to dribble over the opponents and then make a cross. Marin is physically weaker and smaller, so quicker moves to get rid of the opponents are more possible and suitable for him to make a good pass.
    Anyway, it is only my impression because I only watched one Reus match.

15. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Reus' goal VS Mainz was simply unbelievable.

16. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Reus is one huge prospect. And Ekici looks like he could become one great playmaker.

I think too much hype has been around, Müller, Holtby and Gebhardt.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

I don't think Mueller can be compared with Holtby and Gebhart.

Thomas Mueller has done consistently well for BM, established a starting place there and is one of the very few bright spots of the team this season. Everytiem he plays, he gives his best, providing high work-rate, nice scoring instinct and more importantly his passion.

While Holtby and Gebhart haven't proven anything in the 1BL, i dun think it is fair to compare them to Mueller. Afterall, starting for Bayern Munich at the age of 19/20 will be a lot more difficult than starting for Schalke and Stuttgart.

Terrazzino is also a bit overhyped, why don't u mention his name?

18. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

I refer it not their player's style or positions they play. I refer it to their hype's each one had,... Gebhardt more less, Müller bigger... surrounded them.

1.no
    2.how could he not be a more or less 'few brighter spot' in that horrible team ?
    3. Really, like in Haifa, when he scored ? He was not even THAT well when he scored.

:confused: Who hypes Terra ?

19. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I am looking forward to a National team of

--------------Neuer/Adler

Beck-------Mertesacker----Boateng/Howedes----Lahm

-------------------Khedira/Hummels-----

Marin-----------------------------------------Ozil

------------------Kroos---------------

-----------------Muller-- Gomez

Sub- Holtby, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Badstuber

20. Ricken

Ricken Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

All of the above 'golden boys' can potentially play for their 'other' NT since they are most likely of parents who emigrated to Germany for better life. I know the Polish federation has always been beatching about the German Poles, now the Turks are doing the same. Soon enough we might be loosing a lot of talent to other national teams. Imagine if Ozil opted to play for Turkey like the Altintops, or Tasci too, or Terracino play for the hated Italians since he kind of likes it that way, pr Mustafi for Albania :p.

There is another factor to consider. These "Germans" might act like mercenaries and care about money only since their hart might be elsewhere, like their parents native country maybe?

21. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't like the tone in your post (These "Germans"...,..."hated italians"...). Everybody who plays for Germany is of german nationality. From where the parents are, doesn't matter. Germany wouldn't be competitive without these players. Look at the U-21-Euro-Champs. And in the U-16-Squad for example we have 6 or 7 players with a turkish background. Years ago it was normal that the turkish federation had the better chances to get this players (Sahin for example). That is now different. Players like Özil and Tasci are good role models for them.

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan

Says the guy from New York.

23. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Is this another old argument of only "pure blood"/ indigenous/ native Germans should play for Germany? OMG

Mario Götze and Bertram fall to that category btw.

Well, i think we are still competitive without these players. Look at youngsters at different age group. Toni Kroos, Andre Schurrle, Howedes, Hummels, Badstuber, Schieber, Diekmeier, Schwaab, Bender bros, Reinartz and Thomas Muller for U21 are already starters/important players for their clubs already; then others like Moritz(1990) and Testroet from U20; then Felix Kroos, Daniel Ginczek and Alessandro Riedle from U19; Lennart Thy, Mario Götze, Buchtmann and Florian Trinks from U18; Nils Zander, Marius Duhnke n Niclas Füllkrug from U17; Marvin Duksch and Nils Quaschner from U16.

I don't think we're THAT vulnerable n have to entirely rely on immigrants.

Take Terrazzino as an example, no doubt that he's a good prospect but i think Germany NT can still survive without him since Ozil and Kroos play at the same position and i won't be surprised if they will be playing there for another 7-10 years.

Same goes to Choupo-Moting n Sukuta-Pasu if they choose to play for Cameroon n Congo respectively. Thomas Muller, Schieber, Schurrle or even Testroet, Felix Kroos, Lennart Thy and Ginczek will step up.

So i really don't think we're that vulnerable as u think. Players without immigration background have done pretty well so far and show that they're just as dependable.

24. Ricken

Ricken Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

What does that have to do with it? I was just saying that the fact that a good dose of our talent can opt to play elsewhere is a little worrisome. By no means i thrashed the fact that since they are not blond dudes with blue eyes they shouldn't be considered. :D. I just hate the fact that it would suck to lose talent to the other countries when they were bred and raised in Germany. Hargreaves is a great example. I know he was of British parents and lived in Canada too but spent most of his life and professional carer in Germany. At a time when he was probably the best CM in the bundesliga we could have used him thats all i mean.

And that 'hated Italians' quote was purely at a football level. i hate their guts, their boring catenacio and the fact that we are always losing to them. Is that so alarming? Don't most of us feel the same way for the Dutch too? :p

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan

Well, as you were using the term "Germans" to refer to players who were born, and spent their entire life, in Germany, I found that somewhat notable. For some reason on here it's always the people not living in Germany most concerned with immigrant players. Players like Castro or Özil couldn't switch teams anymore even if they wanted, and yet you include them in your list of "Germans" who can't be trusted...