German National Team News & Discussion Thread - EURO 2012 & Beyond [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's all about the weeks prior to the cup and it would surely help if the main striker gets as much playtime with Özil, Götze and Podolski as he can. And all of these aren't Bayern players. This is true for both of our strikers and a general observation. I think we can all agree on this point, can't we?

The question is now, who's the better choice for the team and at this point it's getting tricky. The thing nekki said is, that if Löw plans with Klose as main striker and the weeks before the cup are wasted if he gets injured after the first or second match. That really would be a blow for the team considering the difficult group.

But I trust Löw's decision when summer comes.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Goetze won't start so I doubt it matters that much. Though I can see him being the "joker" type of player for the NT.

3. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    We have 2 test matches immediately prior to the EC. The likelihood is each striker will get one start.

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Test matches aren't important. What is important is training camp prior to the tournament. If the camp is centered around playing with Klose, then it will be a major problem if he is injured in the tournament. This is why some of us are concerned about him being the no.1 choice as striker. He is becoming increasingly more prone to injury. Basically it is a gamble to plan with him in the hopes that he can Stay fit for 6 consecutive matches (he can't even manage that with his club team).

I stand by my feeling that he needs to be dropped to the bench, or off the team all together after the EM.

5. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I share this sentiment with you. Even though atm, I am still supporting Klose as our #1 choice. After the EM's however he will no longer be a viable option for starting CF. And if he can't threaten to start, there will be no point to include him at all (besides as a 3rd CF/mentor).

We need someone who can compete with Gomez for the starting position after the EM. Most of our positions were strengthened by competition for starting roles in recent months, CF should be no exception in the not-too-distant future.

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He should be dropped before the Euro, don't get why everyone has a "let's keep him for Euro and drop him directly after" type of mentality. Desperation without reason. Gomez played for a full year and well in 2011, so it's not like he just doesn't work.

7. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gomez with a brilliant performance as a joker today against Hannover. That role suits him really well now.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes after one successful substitute match out of 15 attempts, his role has been officially defined as a super sub.

9. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. I can't see anyone doing the job as perfectly as Mari did yesterday.

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure you realize it, but I was making fun of you. He's failed most of his career as a super sub but now his first proper super sub role and he's found his role. :rolleyes: Ahh I just love it though, fans keep trying to squeeze him in in random places as long as the untouchable Klose isn't even considered. :D Start directly after Euro 12, or find him as super-sub joker as the discussions have been the past few months. People keep trying to squeeze him in the starting line-up but only right after this tournament.

It's got to be sweet that Gomez can score 10 goals in champions League, score more than twice than Klose and some people don't even consider him to start for Euro 12. :D

If anyone should be a super sub "joker", it should be Klose. One because he is past his prime and I don't see him running at players since his lungs have started to let him down. Lets start a 34 year old striker instead of the guy fighting Messi, the best player in 20 years, for the CL top goalscorer award. Gotta to love past accomplishment, they can get you far.

11. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is indeed possible to play you like a flute.

12. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You didn't even play it very well. :D

13. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At Gomez it is the problem that he needs self confidence for scoring - that he has not had in the past during the times he played sub in the national team or even at Bayern - he was just a sub because of being the "second choice"...

Yesterday he sat on the bench and was best entertained with Müller next to him - only because of being rested not because of his quality of play. If Löw can give him the same feeling at the Euros he will be scoring even as sub.

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, he certainly is quite an "emo striker" if I've seen one. All strikers rely on confidence, but I haven't seen one has such drastic changes during a singe season due to it (up and down) like Gomez goes through. When he is off form, he can hold the ball, he can't pass and literally is horrible at just about every single aspect other than his positioning. On form, he is good a holding the ball and solid at passing it around as well as being his dominant self in other areas.

Yesterday was a huge difference though.. yesterday he was still THE man and he knows that whatever he does, he will start the match after. In the cup match (Stuttgart I believe?), he came on and played well as well this season, same reason because he is the number one striker. On his first year when he got benched for Olic, whenever he came on he was so utterly dreadful at just about everything. This is the difference between then and now, is that he is a starter now and just being rested so he knows (as does his emo personality) that he is the main guy while then he wasn't and it showed unfortunately.

I wish Loew good luck convincing Gomez on that feeling that you talk about.. "Well Mario, you err did score a lot of goals in Champions League this season, more than two-three times as Klose this season, scored over 7 times more than him last year, were 2nd top goalscorer in CL last year even though Bayern got disqualified in the r16, scored more than Klose in the national team last year, but we are going to go with him instead.. but I have a lot of faith in you. So if you are going to be subbed in, you should always know that." One hell of a pep talk, just gets me excited at how pumped Gomez would be after that. :p

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It really is quite adorable how every time you say something wrong, you run back to your safehouse cave where you attempt to be funny and divert the attention from yourself. I love when people are so predictable, but you keep on playing that flute. :cool:

Your theory based on his past super sub role is false unless it's based on one game.

It's quite evident due to the Klose-bandwagon in this forum that people are trying to find a role for Mario due to his last 2 great seasons but finding it difficult be it as a super sub or start right after Euro when there is no reason why he should. He is in great form, he scored plenty for the national team last year and his confidence is sky high. Similar case in 2008 where he flopped, and if it happens Klose can always play over him if he sucks the first match in the group stage. I don't mind that people want Klose over him, I can see the logical thinking but that so many don't even consider him a contender for the starting XI in Euro12 is cringe worthy and pathetic.

16. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am personally all for Mario at the Euro's, Klose has been great for Lazio, but Mario has been superb.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If Klose cant make it........who do u prefer?

Cacau, Helmes, Hanke or Kiessling? U need to have two CFs in the entire roster anyway

Or some younger players like Lasogga, Esswein, Schieber or Fullkrug?

18. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose and Gomez will both get their chances who ever uses it to the best will do just fine in the ec. We can just hope that Gomez scores against Portugal as a sub or a starter- if so he will have great tournament. Klose does not need to score the first couple of games he is mentally strong enough to not let it effect his game.

19. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To not score in this hard group is pretty much a NoGo for the striker. Who cares if that effects the forward if he can't score anyway?

20. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would rather use Reuss, poldi, Müller as backups to Gomez !

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ah, I forgot - being in New York is the next best thing to being in Dortmund.

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    that was new to me

23. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we will score a lot of goals with Özil and Müller and Kroos and and and....doesn't matter if we play with Gomez or Klose. Even though normally Gomez doesn't score shit during a European or World Championship.
    But we should be able to compensate that IF we have to. If he plays good and scores I am more than happy. And that's all that matters ^^

But we should really be looking for another scorer besides Gomez, Klose and Cacau. I am sure a lot of young and creative players have it in them to score like animals :)
    For example Götze. I am sure he could fit in that role even though he might not like it or doesn't have the experience.

But why not use one of these players as the main score animal? Damn we need that for 2014 ^^

24. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh.

25. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Podolski and Mueller are all very capable scorers. We have no problem scoring for sure.