German National Team News & Discussion Thread - EURO 2012 & Beyond [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If "having trouble" means to score a goal more than Klose in 2011, I don't mind.

2. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Goal.com is seriously frustrating. It just listed "Poland and Greece" as hosts of the upcoming Euros on its Facebook. I wish there were more English-language football sites out there.

Anyhow, greets from Berlin. I'm trying to get tickets to this weekend's Hertha/Bayern game, but I don't know how. Help?

3. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you said the jist of it all pretty well..

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I don't know about that. There's a lot of perception about Gerd being a poacher and nothing else when in truth he was extremely technically capable. He had excellent ball awareness and his intelligence in linking up showed he was more than what history likes to paint him out to be. Part of that is him being German and not of Latin descent.

His low center of gravity allowed him to turn quickly and dribble and take on players consistently. Moreover it's testament to his ability that he was played elsewhere on the pitch as well which many might not be aware of.

I know this wasn't your original point but I might as well take this moment to point this out.

5. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You hit the spot. But as you mentioned, it depends on the players surrounding him. With Reus, schuerrle, mueller and podolski, gomez can get good supply.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea even Gomez said after the match yesterday how much he benefits from the world class wingers next to him who always look to him during matches.

7. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gomez CAN'T play against Holland or Spain he just can't. When the enemy is bad he scores a lot yes! But he is not a good player he only has his moments.

We need Klose against Spain and some other strong countries. But everyone loves Gomez I'm sure Löw will make a big mistake with Gomez....

Maybe against Spain when they are leading again with 1:0 and then after 70 minutes Löw takes Klose out and puts Gomez in. THAT will be the big end then, white flag :D
    Hopefully not again....for the third damn time!!

8. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose already played two times against Spain and didn't do anything.
    I don't want to blame him for that but it's also not like Gomez could do worse.
    Overall it's just good to have the option of using someone like Gomez and he is showing in the CL again and again that he has no problems to score against good oppositon.
    He needs support but if you supply him with that then there is hardly any better choice upfront available.

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seriously your logic makes 0 sense. You complain about Gomez yet fail to realize how shite Klose has been not only vs Spain but in general in semi-finals and finals, he has one goal in I believe 5 or 6 matches which is terrible. Like Leinad said if Gomez plays against such teams, he can't do any worse. I'm not saying Klose won't do better, he certainly can but to use this excuse on Gomez when Klose has been proven shite literally makes no sense. None.

and no, I don't count friendlies before the fangirls run with pom poms stating how magical he was vs Netherlands. :p Gomez is hardly loved, I've yet to witness a striker with such an amazing scoring stats that gets so much crap by German and Bayern/Bundesliga fans alike. Again, I'm not stating that Klose won't show up in such important events, but to say Gomez won't when he hasn't had a chance and Klose will when he's failed on so many occasions just doesn't make sense. Gomez has shown in more important matches already at 26 years old at club level than Klose ever will in his club career.

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In terms of philosophy, I think at the end of the day the coach makes a team play a formation that suits the team, not find a team that suits his formation.

A good coach does this, many have and many have adapted depending on new players etc. If Gomez were to play over Klose (hypothetically speaking), Loew would have to tweak the playing style a bit but not overly so to a degree that it's a completely different system imo. In other words, it isn't some formation set in stone that could never be changed as some love to imply so much, but then again that is more so they can justify why their favorite players should play.

I've said before that Loew should wait until the end of the season but it would be pretty comical if he puts Gomez on the bench if he ends up scoring 45 goals or so while Klose starts with scoring 20. But he is the coach, if he does this and wins the tournament he is a genius and if he fails, it will all be on him. For example if Gomez scores 50 goals, but sucks in the tournament and Germany loose partly because of him, it is Gomez's and Loew's fault. Another useless hypothetical scenario from moi but you get the gist of it.

11. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Klose started against Spain the last 2 times and did zilch!!!!!

So we should keep starting Klose vs Spain till he gets it right?

Gomez 39 goals last season 34 this season including 10 vs top European teams yet many are still not satisfied because he doesnt do a 360 degress backflip before scoring with his heels?

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Solid argument, right there, man...kudos! Fuckin' rock solid....

Anyone else have any questions? No? Then clear the area....this argument IS OVER!!!!

13. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    he's quite the modest character.

14. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First of all NO ONE did anything useful against Spain! Spain is the best team out there and you are totally right, doesnt matter if Gomez or Klose play. Both probably do nothing against Spain even though that hurts to say :(

Secondly I dont wanna hear about giving Gomez a chance. He played for years like a ********ing amateur! In the international matches he scores shit! Well maybe he scored 1 or 2 goals against Azerbaidjan? I dont know and dont care.....
    And when Klose left against Spain and Gomez came in fresh and ready to fight he did nothing absolutely othing. Stood there like a small boy...

No that guy is no use for big enemies! And please dont say Basel was a strong enemy :rolleyes:

15. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good post with plenty of excellent points I cannot find any disagreement with. I am a massive fan of Gerd Müller, and agree that his not being Latin denied him the plaudits he clearly deserved. As for his unique ability to turn on a Pfennig, this was summed up by the winner in the 1974 final. So, just to emphasise: my aim was not to take anything away from him or compare him directly to Gomez.

My point was about the team system and style, and while it is likely that Müller would have still been right up there in the goalscoring charts, I do think that he would probably have been slightly less prolific had he been playing in a side that plays like the current NT.

Gomez is no Der Bomber - well not yet, anyway - but it will be interesting to see how he performs if more emphasis is placed on the flanks - something that is completely possible with the likes of Schürrle and particularly Reus.

Personally I'd love the idea of Schürrle or Reus skinning the Spanish defence down the right and setting up three Gomez tap-ins - though I don't think this is going to happen this time around at the Euros.

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1) The characteristics of Gomez's performances against Hoffenheim and Basel were nothing new, so Klose is still ahead of him in the current NT system.

2) Gerd Müller played the best 1-2s that Beckenbauer saw.

17. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sure Klose is in front of Gomez especially because of his ability to be a special addition to Müller and Özil.

But - Gomez functioned in the team the recent months, too. I do not know if that, what I recognized at Bayern is the same in the German team. Gomez scores more than 90 per cent of his goals whenever Müller is in the hanging striker position and not in his right wing position. As Müller has the ability just to f*** every zonal defense it is not surprising that Gomez has it easier to score when he is in the box.

At the German team it would not really matter as the position change between Müller and Özil is standard anyway.

18. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Basel was certainly no little enemy a team that eliminated Man Utd.

Gomez grabbed 2 vs Man Citeh strong enemy, 3 vs Napoli strong enemy, 4 vs Basel

In the last 2 seasons grabbed 18 vs the best clubs in the Champions league

19. Donauwelle

Donauwelle Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    2 new advertising spots came out they made at the marketing days.

One from Rewe (Müller and Podolski have their own contracts with the company, but they are partner of the DFB, too. So the partnerspots of them feature mainly the two - like the Adidasspots usually feature the players that have shoe contracts with Adidas)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ImtOmxPt4"]REWE: Du spielst, wie du isst - YouTube[/ame]

The other one is from Bitburger - featuring the magic trio.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQDEtUZh0Y"]Der Bitburger EM-Spot 2012: Wenn aus Bier Bitburger wird. - YouTube[/ame]

There is still some not published. Commerzbank, Mercedes...

20. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He does well on the big stage, no doubt. I am interested to see how he'll line up against Madrid or Barcelona.

21. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Oezil and Khedira will play against their national team mates in the semis of the champions league. It will be great.

Also, if Real and Barca play in the final, it could be great for Germany in the Euros because it can get ugly in Spain's dressing room.

23. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wouldn't it be better if Bayern beats Barca in the final? ;) (They won't, of course. Mourinho will prevent them from reaching the final)

24. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lmao well yes, it would. :D:cool:

25. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Wenger is quoted about a possible Mertesacker comeback: "I believe Per will be out for the rest of the season (...) Basically there are only six weeks to go [this season] so I don't think he'll be sharp enough to come back and play. He would need to train and get back to full fitness."

espn.co.uk