German National Team News & Discussion Thread - EURO 2012 & Beyond [R] II

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Hendrik, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It is but not quite the kind of move a place like Manchester United where I believe he'd fit in impeccably.

2. squad

squad Member

Jan 15, 2013
    It remains to be seen.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I rate Dortmund as better than United, I don't know about you.

4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Man United are the worlds biggest club.

5. Core

Core Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My House
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I completly agree with you. That's why he is one of my favorites. I think he is developing very well. I used to have doubt about his defensive work at Glabach, but I think it has to do with his role and the system at Glabach.

I felt like he would suffer in Dortmund but he proved me wrong. He got hold of the defensive side of his game, which is very impressive to me. I saw him defend well a few times in the NT. I remember his 2nd goal against Ireland that resulted from his defensive work when he won the ball in our center half, followed up the attack and scored a clinical gaol at the other end.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One minor correction, it was against Ireland, not North Ireland. Reus is just an extraordinarily versatile, class player, who developed into the perfect replacement for both Podolski and Kagawa. In fact, initially, I was more impressed with Reus than I was with Götze.

Core repped this.
  7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not the world's best squad, though.

8. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That doesn't necessarily detach from their marketability.

9. Core

Core Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My House
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My bad, thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate it. You have a great memory!!!

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But if Reus wants to win the CL I'd argue he might want to stay at Dortmund. What does United have that'd make him want to leave his boyhood club?

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're welcome. You could be forgiven for thinking it was North Ireland the way Ireland played. How' in the world did they qualify for EURO 2012?

12. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    More attention, bigger pay and a league which promises more intensity? I have no doubt he'll eventually leave, but it really depends on how BVB develop.

13. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would love for loew to try this formation against France...

Lahm boetang hummels schmelzer
    Khedira kroos piggy
    Reus Ozil muller

Have gotze sub in at half for anyone slacking..

What's wrong with Germany moving to a 4-3-3 formation from here on out?
    If we are missing that tall tough frontman outlet then put Gomez in 2nd half..

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What's wrong with it is that Oezil cannot play CF. We don't have anyone besides Reus or Mueller who could possibly work in that position if Gomez/Klose are unavailable. I can imagine this formation resulting in a lot of horizontal passing, and the flank that Mueller is on will be vacated because he will drift into the center constantly. In any 4-3-3 I would greatly prefer Mueller to play the CF position.

Personally I'd line up the attack like this:

---------Khedira---Schweini---Kroos-----------
    ---------Oezil-------Mueller-------Reus----------

odd1234 and CanStriker repped this.
  15. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Saying Ozil can't play CF misunderstands the purpose of going with no real striker. Ozil's at his best drifting from a central position, the whole point of going no striker is to bring Kroos into a midfield trio without pushing Ozil out of that spot.

odd1234 and Dhajj repped this.
  16. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's exactly my point..

It's not to make Ozil a striker, it's to use the best formation with our best player combination.

Ozil can play off reus and muller. They can drift and interlink between them.
    Kroos can Link up with those front 3 from a little further back and stay outsude of the box for his blistering shots.

Kedira and piggy is our best mid combo.

I think we can really do something here to elevate our game.
    We will always have Gomez/etc to use when things aren't going to plan and we are in need of a physical frontman like him.

Rosebud and MatthausSammer repped this.
  17. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    If not Gomez then our only CF options are Mueller, Podolski, and Reus. I dont see Klose as anything but a substitute for 2014. The sooner Loew realizes this, the better for us.

18. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    You want Oezil deeper in the midfield to maximize his impact on the game. He is not a finisher and never will be, so sticking him closest to goal is counter-productive.

19. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The point is we wouldn't have a CF dude. Just like Spain played with Fabregas as their forward. I would stick to that formation mentioned earlier, give it a few tries. Maybe we can pull it off.

Dhajj repped this.
  20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Spain only plays that way because they had no in form CF to rely on. The "false 9" formation is a plan B, and not the ideal line-up. Not sure why it's so difficult for people to understand that it is implemented due to circumstances and not by choice.

Don't use Barca as an example either, because they have one of the best players in the history of the game playing as CF.

CanStriker repped this.
  21. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My point is with our current setup we are forcing our most talented midfield we have had in decades on the bench.

I am trying to think of the best way to play as much of our best talent as possible..

Having gotze/kroos sit on the bench is wasting a lot of talent.
    That's why I think the 4-3-3 would work best.

Heck even lets say u know a team is just going to defend with 12 men without any plan to attack or even counter attack, we can have this setup;

Back 4;
    Kroos-piggy
    Muller-Ozil-gotze
    Reus

Who know how devastating that would be? I would argue that it's the best offensive line in the world.
    Strictly offensive.

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They had players. They used it when Llorente, Negredo and Soldado were all in top form.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You don't win titles by simply picking the best players and forcing them all on the field at once. That rarely ever works. It's fortunate that we have so many great midfielders, but that is no reason to play a formation that none of them are suited for.

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    None of those players have the quality to start for Spain. It's no surprise that none of them got significant minutes at CF during the Euros and the totally out of form Torres was preferred.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was preferred because he was in the team longer, the same is true for any NTs, Germany as well. Soldado is at the peak of his career and could start for almost any NT. It's not a matter of not having players available because they do. Every time Negredo, Soldado or Llorente filled in they did well. The philosophy is just different. They think outside the box, they have trust in their players and they work on the system to carry it out effectively and they did.