German National Team News & Discussion Thread - EURO 2012 & Beyond [R] II

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Hendrik, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But what do you mean invincible? Nothing is invincible but Lahm at DM had nothing to do with Bayern's loss yesterday and wasn't even exploited. Of course we all know he has to cover that space but that's not a reason Lahm as DM himself is worthy of criticism. In any system that's so heavy on fullbacks going up you will need cover. Moreover when your defense is playing such a high line.

And yes, I think Durm and Grosskreutz benefit from playing at a higher level. There's a certain mentality and readiness that comes along with that. Also playing next to world class players, also very crucial, not to mention their versatility. You picked the wrong equivalency here.

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yep of course, arrogance in abundance. yep. all the way. cool. that's all everyone can say and you wonder why I feel the way I do.

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nah, you aren't aware of his agenda regarding that position. And stop with the "it's his opinion" defense. That's another non-point. As if that absolves false criticism or agenda-laden propaganda.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty much.

Funnily enough this was also stated before the season, even going back as far as Euro 2012. Yesterday showed that he isn't necessary any longer and his experience is starting to mean less and less. Thiago and Kroos ahead of Lahm is now the best fit for them.

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just find this bitching between some of you guys unnecessary!

6. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The funny thing is, he doesn't seem to realize (or at least doesn't acknowledge) that he has already made the same Lahm as LB or RB suggestion about 200 or 300 times. In fact, in just about every post.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok. I'm not taking any blame for that. You can always put me on ignore though.

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, we can't.

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know YOU can't.

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have the capability to do so just fine.

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Strange.. He's got mod rights from his brother in the past and you jsut can't set them onto ignore, maybe it has changed now? I try.

edit: seems to work now. GREAT :D

edit2: GREAT GREAT GREAT !!!

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Total bullshit and lie but whatever you want to believe. Seems to be your raison d'etre.

13. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    U claim Lahm at DM will make us better defensively is just a complete hypothesis, especially when the fullbacks are serious lack of quality

Our situation at FB is worse than Bayern Munich, and thats not even debatable. Schmelzer/Jansen injured (n even if they arent injured they are pretty much average talent anyway); Durm n Grosskreutz are inexperienced n Grosskreutz has played at RB for quite some time; No other fullback candidates have the required expereince. Lahm is desperately needed at the fullback position.

We cant just copy the entire Bayern system because both teams have different personnel. And this BM-Real Madrid games showed that fullbacks can be critical on the defensive end. Not quite the same as you said they are "only used for crossing n provide width" or "not important"

Kiessling? Please. Kiessling has played 7 straight seasons of CL football, with top teammates from the past till now, n Kiessling was the golden boot in bundesliga LAST SEASON. Durm has started last 13 games for Dortmund and Grosskreutz isnt a quality player n not even a definite starter for Dortmund.

In terms of players' quality? Kiessling is miles ahead of Grosskreutz n Durm;

experienced? Durm n grosskreutz are pretty much unproven at NT level. It is more important than you have ever imagined, several headcoaches have already stated experience is more important for defenders. FYI Durm hasnt even played a game for the NT, and even if hes called up he'll most likely warm the bench

When u say Kiessling is "not NT material ", i wonder why do you think Durm n Grosskreutz are good enough to be started for the NT in World Cup. Just becoz they've played 10 games a season at fullback? At highest level of competition? Durm has only started 4 games in the entire CL, too small of a sample size

even if Loew has called up Durm, he shouldnt be starting. With all these injuries issue, i dont see why Lahm shouldnt be considered fullback especialyl when he can play a "holding role" at RB like he did for BM anyway

Kiessling, Durm n Grosskreutz are all options to fill the team's need, simply becoz we lack options at the fullback n striker positions. situation is similar. They arent the ideal NT materials, but they provide depth

Kiessling shouldve been called up earlier becoz we cant rely on "false 9"(Goetze hasnt been used there anymore, Mueller has never played a good game at CF) or Gomez/Klose (at 36 years old). Kiessling provide the needed physicality, aeiral ability, lethality, allround skill n hold-up game which this team need. We can see how different BM's games are when they used Mandzukic on the field VS Mueller up top. we need such X-factor n variety. And i think what @Sifrit meant was Loew's lack of vision ahead of this WC to bring in another veteran CF in case things ("false 9"/Klose) dont work out

Lasogga is also an ideal option until his injury.

furthermore, @SirManchester please be aware that German strikers are less likely to play in CL. BM/Dortmund are starting with foreign strikers(n will always be) n Kiessling is the only German CF who is playing n starting in CL. That will be the trend in Germany so dont expect German strikers to be CL trained. In the future, i see Bayern, Dortmund n Schalke will be starting with proven, experienced star strikers (big money signing) Will most likely see our striekrs options in mid-lower ranked teams. Wont be surprised if we have to choose CFs from 2. BL

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I said Lahm is crucial if we want to play a certain way. If Löw plans on sticking to his direct 4-2-3-1, then by all means, move Lahm back to RB. But if this team wants to evolve and move ahead in its natural progression it needs a proper holder regardless of what void it leaves.

World Cup is a lot about momentum. Adding Kiessling now with all the history, lack of form, lack of integration, etc is just not realistic or smart.

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How would you feel about a possession-based 4-3-3, not necessarily Guardiola's 4-1-4-1 which requires such a well-rounded player at the 6, then moving Lahm to RB? Its a nice compromise IMO, moving in the right direction but also not allowing for a severe downgrade at the FB position.

Dhajj repped this.
  16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I haven't seen this done before so it would be something entirely new. Who would the three in midfield be? Schweinsteiger, Khedira, and Kroos?

For a retention based midfield, it would have to be a third midfielder who is technically capable, a good thinker, and passer. Gündogan only one who fits description there. Bender too similar to what Khedira offers. What would the shape look like in transitions? In defense mode? In attack?

In defense, it's difficult not to have some good tackling players or those who are defensively aware. Reason why holder is important is because he can be last gap tackler, shield of defense but also transitional player when ball is in possession and when team transitions in general.

17. griffithdavid

griffithdavid Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't post here much, but I was wondering about this lineup and why it has never been tried. Does anyone think it could work? Hummels makes some mistakes in CB, but I think he would be great in DM.
    Neuer
    Lahm Mertesacker Boateng Schmelzer
    Hummels Schweinsteiger
    Muller Kroos Reus
    Ozil/Gotze

18. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hummels can't play defensive midfield and he doesn't want to play there either. By his own admission he is too heavy for the constant running. He has built up his body specifically for playing centre back.

And recently Boateng is making a lot more mistakes than Hummels who is in good form. Boateng is especially bad in the CL. Haven't really watched Mertesacker but it can't be a good sign that Arsenal conceded 5 goals to Liverpool and 6 goals to Man City and Chelsea. Reminds me of Werder Bremen's losses when Mertesacker still played for them and made one mistake after the other. But maybe someone else is to blame for those embarrassing scorelines.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Good news. Lasogga is back in training.

Gomez n Klose will be out for a while

20. griffithdavid

griffithdavid Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is good to know. I think it is a shame though because he seems like he would be a boss there along with his really good distribution. I always wondered why it was never tried, but I guess it makes sense if he is not willing to do it. Thanks for the information.

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Özil back for Arsenal today.

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neuer
    Lahm boateng Hummels KG
    Bastian Kroos
    Gotze ozil Reus
    Muller

23. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Considering form and injuries, this should be my roster:

GK) Neuer, Weidenfeller, ter Stegen (No way i'll pick Adler or Zieler, both arent reliable)

DF) Lahm, Grosskreutz, Hummels, Mertesacker, J.Boateng, Ginter, Durm

MF) Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Lars Bender, Kroos, Özil, Schuerrle, Thomas Mueller, Goetze, Reus, Podolski

FW) Kiessling, Volland, Lasogga(back in training)

-----------------------------------Neuer
    --Lahm--------Mertesacker-------------Boateng--------Grosskreutz
    ------------------Schweinsteiger---------Kroos
    --Mueller-----------------------Oezil-----------------------Reus
    ---------------------------------Lasogga

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #4824 White/Blue_since1860, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    soooo schlecht

Melanie should stick to her trade

25. Zullu

Zullu Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't see us not conceding. Or scoring three goals for that matter. Shame we played so poorly in the first match.