Georgetown 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by HoyaHooligan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown defeated Temple 3-0 in their first Spring game this year. Here's Coach Wiese's write up( more likely some intern).

"Despite the never ending winter, we were finally able to open up Shaw Field this week, and welcome the Temple Owls down from Philadelphia to start our spring campaign. All things considered, I thought it was an excellent performance with a level of fitness and sharpness on the ball that belies the time of year. Sophomore Brandon Allen scored in the first minute after drawing a penalty for being taken down in the box before stepping up to convert the ensuing spot kick. Freshman Brett Campbell scored before the half, when junior Tom Skelly made a nice run up the left side before putting a picture perfect low cross into Campbell's path. Freshman Alex Muyl helped put the game on ice midway through the second half, when freshman Bakie Goodman took the ball off an Owl midfielder, and fed a through ball to Allen. Allen drew Owl defense out before finding Muyl right in front of the net for an easy finish. The game saw several excellent individual performances, and marked the debut for freshman goalkeeper Mitchell Auer, who preserved the shutout with a late game penalty kick save"

2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naaahhh This looks like the kind of write up a Coach would put forth....o_O

3. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    The Georgetown University men's soccer team released updates to its 2014 spring schedule on Tuesday. The Blue & Gray will play four more games this spring. Georgetown defeated Temple University, 3-0, in the first game of 2014.

The Hoyas will make the short trip to College Park, Md., to take on the University of Maryland Terrapins on Thursday, April 3 at 8:15 p.m. The Terps were the 2013 national runners up and a late addition to the spring slate.

Wake Forest University will come to Shaw Field on April 5 for a 1 p.m., kickoff. The Demon Deacons were NCAA qualifiers a season ago.

The contest originally scheduled for last weekend at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County will now be played on Tuesday, April 8 in Baltimore at 8:30 p.m. The game was originally moved due to inclement weather. The Retrievers also earned an NCAA Tournament berth a season ago.

Georgetown will finish out the spring at the University of Delaware on April 13 at 1 p.m. The Blue Hens complete GU's tough spring slate with four NCAA Tournament qualifiers remaining.

No shinguards and fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Coach Wiese's recap of the Maryland game:

"Normally in the spring we like to space out our allotted games by a week so that we can play a game, review it, build from it in practice, and prep for the next one. This winter has taken its toll on our preferred model, and compressed the majority of our spring slate into a ten day period. Last night we traveled to College Park to take on Maryland, a game that we scheduled with them just three days ago, in order to make up missed games that we both had from earlier in the spring. Maryland is a fun team to play because they always present a unique set of challenges with their very high level of talent, athleticism, and organization. We came away with a hard earned 1-0 win from a late Alex Muyl goal, and played a very good ninety minutes from my point of view. Without the services of forward and scholar Brandon Allen, who had to remain behind for class, and defender Joshua Yaro, who was recovering from a mild concussion, several other players got the opportunity to step in more prominently. Junior Jared Rist filled in at center back seamlessly, and, along with fellow center back Cole Seiler, was immense all night allowing Maryland just two shots on goal. Upfront, freshman Brett Campbell had a fantastic game causing all sorts of problems for the Terps defense, running off of Muyl and getting in behind on several occasions. Overall, there were plenty of positives to take away from the game, and certainly plenty of areas to continue to work on."

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent showing by G-town last night.. good luck to them in the Fall!

6. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown defeated Wake Forest today 1-0 but from reports from my friend we seriously out played them and we should have won by much more. Brandon Allen tallied the lone goal. Will post Coach's report when it shows up in my inbox hopefully tomorrow.

7. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    "On Saturday we welcomed Wake Forest up to the Hilltop for the first game against the Demon Deacons in my time at Georgetown. It was a blustery day and the conditions made it a bit harder to knock the ball around cleanly than I would have liked, but we still managed some nice pockets of soccer. Despite having played at Maryland just two days prior, I thought the boys had good energy in their legs. Sophomore forward Brandon Allen, who missed the Maryland game, was particularly sharp and had three tremendous chances in the first five minutes of the match. He missed one just inches wide, and the Wake Forest goalkeeper made two excellent saves on the other two efforts. At the thirty minute mark, some good wide play from junior Austin Martz and sophomore Keegan Rosenberry resulted in another chance for Allen, and his far post finish proved to be the only goal of the match. Despite missing the services of starting center back, Joshua Yaro, the boys managed another shutout, and junior goalkeeper Tomas Gomez looked sharp in goal playing the entire ninety minutes."

8. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G-Town must have a good communications, and/or journalism school... :D

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wiese has degrees from Dartmouth and Stanford. I'm pretty sure he can handle cranking out an articulate paragraph or two about a soccer game that doesn't count.

No shinguards repped this.
  10. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That being the case...It's funny he thought it was too windy to keep the ball on the ground.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, that jumped out at me, especially since my sons' team played a game a few miles away Saturday afternoon. It was windy but it wasn't that windy.

The U9s managed to play through it.

12. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    "Tuesday night we squeezed our third game into a six day stretch, and traveled up to UMBC to take on the Retrievers. In the Fall, UMBC amassed the nation's best winning percentage losing just one game all season en route to the #16 seed in the NCAA tournament. They are an extremely athletic and organized team, and provided us with a great challenge on the evening. The weather was beautiful for a change, and we put on a very crisp first half performance. We got on the board first when sophomore forward Brandon Allen headed in a great delivery from sophomore left back Josh Turnley. The goal capped a series of nineteen consecutive passes, and was emblematic of our spacing and control throughout the half. Turnley's growth as a left back over the last twelve months has been truly remarkable, and it was fitting that he played a prominent role in the goal.

UMBC was a seeded team for a reason last year, and did well to equalized very early in the second half, when they countered nicely, and slipped a shot past freshman goalkeeper, Mitchell Auer. The rest of the game was nip and tuck, with some quality chances for both teams, but with nothing further to come. We now get a few days to recover from this stretch of games before we end our spring schedule with a match on Sunday at 1 p.m. up at the University of Delaware. One last test as a group before we break for the summer!"

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I realize they moved a game due to weather. But given that teams are allowed so few spring games, can anyone figure out why in the world half games for spring in a 6 day period?

14. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if there are rules for ending the season by a certain date, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, I know my son's finals start around May 1st. The coaches may have to finish the season by a certain date to allow students to prepare for finals, both on their team and opponent players who have the same concern.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    j
    just about everyone is finished within the next two weeks. They had two games in six days and then had a makeup to slip in vs. Maryland. Not optimal scheduling but with the winter in the northern part of the country this year, you take what you can get.

16. TheBobCrayBand

TheBobCrayBand New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Club:
    Charleston
    per NCAA you have a limited number of weeks combined fall & spring that you are allowed.

17. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Washington's first spring game was March 1 and their last Spring game is May 3. Clearly NCAA rules are very limiting, but there seems to be no reason to play half your spring schedule in 6 days. College kids get so few games it seems almost criminal to play a schedule like that.

18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Washington is on quarters so they go to school until June with a three week break in the middle for finals and spring break. G-town added a makeup game midweek which I don't have a problem with. Usually every team plays once a week but in this case skipped a weekend because of weather. Criminal is a little strong as opposed to unfortunate based on weather issues.

24Seven repped this.
  19. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown defeated Delaware 1-0. No official report yet.

20. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    DateOpponent / EventLocationTime / Result
    08/17/14at Penn State *State College, Pa.6:00 p.m. ET
    08/23/14at Virginia *Charlottesville, Va.7:00 p.m. ET
    08/29/14at IndianaBloomington, Ind.8:00 p.m. ET
    08/31/14vs. Notre DameBloomington, Ind.11:30 a.m. ET
    09/05/14vs. HarvardShaw Field4:00 p.m. ET
    09/07/14vs. WisconsinShaw Field1:00 p.m. ET
    09/11/14vs. VCUShaw Field4:00 p.m. ET
    09/14/14vs. UC IrvineShaw Field1:00 p.m. ET
    09/17/14at PrincetonPrinceton, N.J.7:00 p.m. ET
    09/21/14vs. William & MaryShaw Field4:00 p.m. ET
    09/27/14at Butler #Indianapolis, Ind.5:30 p.m. ET
    09/30/14at MarylandCollege Park, Md.7:00 p.m. ET
    10/04/14vs. Marquette #Shaw Field1:00 p.m. ET
    10/11/14at DePaul #Chicago, Ill.1:00 p.m. ET
    10/15/14vs. Providence #Shaw Field3:00 p.m. ET
    10/18/14at Seton Hall #South Orange, N.J.1:00 p.m. ET
    10/25/14at Creighton #Omaha, Neb.8:00 p.m. ET
    10/29/14vs. Xavier #Shaw Field2:00 p.m. ET
    11/01/14vs. St. John's #Shaw Field1:00 p.m. ET
    11/07/14at Villanova #Villanova, Pa.TBA

Very challenging OOC slate. Only princeton and harvard did not make the NCAA's last year. BE schedule was very hard last year in terms of which tough games were on the road which ones were at home. Last year the only top team we got at home was creighton. This year it all reverses so the only tough road game in conference we have is @ creighton with Marquette, Xavier, St. John's, and Providence all coming to DC.

Hararea repped this.
  21. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Big East Preseason Poll and All conference selections announced today:

2014 Preseason Coaches’ Poll

Georgetown – 75 points (5 first-place votes)
    Marquette – 75 (4)
    Creighton – 63 (1)
    St. John’s – 54
    Providence – 48
    Butler – 43
    Xavier – 38
    Villanova – 23
    Seton Hall – 19
    DePaul – 12

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year – Brandon Allen, Georgetown, Jr., F
    Preseason Defensive Player of the Year – Axel Sjöberg, Marquette, R-Jr., D
    Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year – Tomas Gomez, Georgetown, Sr.

Preseason All-BIG EAST *
    Brandon Allen, Georgetown, Jr., F ^
    Louis Bennett II, Marquette, So., M
    Samuel Geiler, Seton Hall, So., M
    David Goldsmith, Butler, So., F
    Tomas Gomez, Georgetown, Sr., GK
    Julian Gressel, Providence, So., F
    Alex Muyl, Georgetown, So., F
    C. Nortey, Marquette, R-Jr., F ^
    Tim Parker, St. John’s, Sr., D ^
    Timo Pitter, Creighton, Jr., M
    Jose Ribas, Creighton, Sr., D
    Axel Sjöberg, Marquette, R-Jr., D ^
    Zach Steinberger, Butler, Sr., M
    Will Walker, Xavier, R-Sr., M
    Joshua Yaro, Georgetown, So., D

JoeSoccerFan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Georgetown has their last scrimmage @ #3 UVA today at 1pm. The Hoyas take on #1 ND and #2 Maryland ( along with #16 UC Irvine, #21 Wisconsin, and #26 VCU). Can anyone think of a time where a team scheduled the top 3 teams in the preseason polls OOC? (yes one's a scrimmage, but still ridiculous schedule).

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I may be biased because they are across the river from me, but I think the Hoyas are legit national championship contenders this year if they stay healthy.

Their spine is as good as it gets in college soccer.

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Agree 100%. I also think that heading into the season, Brandon Allen is the biggest unknown in all of college soccer. After his eye-catching freshman campaign, last fall was a bit of a disappointment. If he's able to raise his game up a notch, that would really help establish Georgetown as one of the teams to beat.

25. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Hoyas and Hoos tie 1-1.