Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Any reports of what the fans are saying? They gotta be loving him. Here's hoping they leave some affection for EDU

2. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    There is no question that Edu is good enough to play for Stoke.

3. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe it's not that exceptional.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you can do it one a hot summer's day in Houston, you can do it on a rainy night in Stoke...

anyhoo, with Maurice Edu coming in and Fulhamerica on it's last knees, we need a new nickname for Stoke City... "Stokeamerica" , "UStokeA", what sounds best?

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    bbc mentions Edu, Hudd and also maybe Michael Owen

7. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    If Pulis ever sees Brek Shea, he will try to marry him in New Hampshire.
    The love will be that strong.

8. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  9. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with Howard, Donovan, Dempsey, Holden, Cameron, etc. making the leap with ease...maybe it's time that people start softening a bit on MLS. There is starting to be a noticeable trend. Though there are also cases to the contrary, it seems that MLS talent seems to translate to the Premiership fairly well.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    [Political commentary removed by exasperated mod.]

Howard got canned by ManU because he couldnt take the constant pressure. Dempsey was not easy, he toiled for 3 years to get up to speed. There is a difference between negating play and creating. Donovan happens to be the best USMNT player of all time and he transitioned into a mid level epl team without problem.

MLS is unwatchable pretty much 90% of the time.

11. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    That's not a fair statement, Ham.

Higher Learning and adi21 repped this.
  12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Much like any league, it's which teams you're watching. Stoke v Norwich.....no thanks, I'm going to chew on some tin foil instead. LAG v SJ....yes PLEASE! Mallorca v. Grenada....probably not. Portland v Crapids.....sorry, I'm going to the dentist! Houston v NYRB....sign me up!

Can't paint with too broad of a brush regardless of where the league originates.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    what? I gave you 10% as a nice gesture. Sometimes it's as if AYSO of the 1980's didn't mature, it just got bigger and calls itself MLS.

what absolutely impresses me about gCam is how impossibly big and athletic and skillful he is. It's like he has an extra bone in his leg. Podolski, giroud, blackdudeinheadband, cazorla would very neatly get by him and think, 'bustin' out!' then boom, big leg comes out and without any contact pokes it away.

The nearest example I can think of is the Worm, Dennis Rodman. You think you're past him and the worm is galloping down the court with the ball before you can turn around. I love players who break the mold. Can't think of a CM/DM anywhere with his combo of skill and physicality. Sure, I'm overplaying it a bit, but that Arsenal midfield even if it is new, still plays faster than most people think and he was better than OK.

14. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Political commentary removed by exasperated mod.]

Howard had his ups and downs at Man U, but he did win a place in the PFA best 11 during his first season.

As for Dempsey, he toiled against anti-American bias more than he toiled against his own struggles. He scored his first classic goal not long after he started seeing the pitch regularly. His goal kept Fulham in the prem the following year.

Bolivianfuego and adi21 repped this.
  15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Say this for Stoke city, they can build a defensive wall like no other team. They dont even bother jumping.

Just noticed when Jermain Pennant came off the pitch he leaned in to bump Pulis and not nice like. Pulis must arm wrestle the new recruits before spitting on them in disgust.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Barking up the wrong tree man. He had a flash of glory but as danny murphy noted, no one works harder. Clint had deficiencies but talent. He then worked hard to overcome those deficiencies. It was not an overnight thing. Being creative in the midfield and scoring goals is vastly different than crossing and negating play. Clint is probably the first true creative player to make it in the modern EPL era.

Now in the transfer market, yes absolutely he is getting dinged for being and AhMee.

I am second viewing the Stoke match and just can't get over the fact that Stoke may have created more threatening chances that Arsenal even given all their horrible play. Crosses, throw ins and corners were almost always dangerous.

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff is starting again (it looks like in midfield) in tonight's LC match against Swindon Town.

deuteronomy repped this.
  18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Brian Sciaretta@BrianSciaretta
    On Geoff Cameron's effort today: RT: @RSummers38 He got the first two assists as well, could be 3, not sure. Played very well so far

I don't know about the 3rd goal, but Cameron got MLS assists on the first two goals in Stoke's 4-3 loss today.

19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Stoke is getting hammered in the press for this loss. Hopefully our boy was one of the lone brightspots. I wouldn't want to be a shoe in that lockroom tonight.

20. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are most people saying he's doing great and some are saying he's awful?

21. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Because it's a fan forum for a soccer team?

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  22. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  23. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
  24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think he played both spots probably RB way late in the game it does mention someone went down with an injury.