Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a joke.

2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's a fair assessment of Williams. For most of his matches with the USMNT he has been playing wide on the right side which is clearly not his best position. He is a true defensive mid and honestly if he continues to play consistently at Hoffenheim he could be a key part of the USMNT.

Fanatical Monk and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Jones and Williams are true #6s in the Bundesliga. Klinsmann plays them out of position on the MNT. I'd argue this is Cameron's best position too, but obviously we need him at CB.

Dr.Phil and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's quite amazing none of them have gotten a fair shot at DMid, and yet Beckerman does. And that's nothing against Beckerman who I was impressed with against Mex, but seriously, two Bund DMids, one of which is a CL level DMid, and a potential EPL DMid don't get a shot, yet Beckerman gets repeated opportunities.

As I said though, it's nothing against Beckerman, but I don't think he's good enough to keep playing those three out of position. Even when Williams was hurt it was MB moved back to DMid and Jones playing the 8, when we need MB in a more advanced position and Jones kept killing the attack.

I;d think given JK's schemes, he'd certainly want to figure out who our best DMid is before the WC, yet over a year in he still doesn't seem to know or even be in the process of figuring it out.

sXeWesley repped this.
  5. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    can we play some sort of mark of the beast formation?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    On top of all that he plays Edu at DM, which isn't really where he'd been playing most games for Rangers.

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, wrong forum for this stuff, guys.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron's Visa has been approved. He has been cleared to enter the UK. Pulis considers him as an option to start the FSC (8:30 AM edt) televised match Sunday.

PulPulis did however, raise concerns as to whether the 27-year old would be fit enough to feature against the Gunners, having spent the past eleven days away from the Club.

“We will see how Geoff is when he gets here,” he said. “We’ve been without him for a while now, which has been disappointing, so we will have to check him over when he arrives.”

Should the former Houston Dynamo star be declared fit to feature, then he could fill Whitehead’s void in the centre of midfield; however, he will have to overcome competition from the likes of Wilson Palacios and Rory Delap for that starting berth. is did howe
    ver, raise concerns as to whether the 27-year old would be fit enough to feature against the Gunners, having spent the past eleven days away from the Club.

“We will see how Geoff is when he gets here,” he said. “We’ve been without him for a while now, which has been disappointing, so we will have to check him over when he arrives.”

Should the former Houston Dynamo star be declared fit to feature, then he could fill Whitehead’s void in the centre of midfield; however, he will have to overcome competition from the likes of Wilson Palacios and Rory Delap for that starting berth.

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    this totally sucks. I thought he was training with the club this week.

I think he could start and pull it off, but I doubt he get listed as a starter.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Might be better for him in the long run - it sometimes seems in these situations integrating slowly might be a smarter way to cement a 1st team slot.

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    you are probably right. Starting your first match against Arsenal without having trained with your mates for 10 days is definitely getting thrown in the deep end!

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's what I was thinking - it's a high risk/reward move. Arse do not look very deadly at the moment, so you could look very good "holding" them, even if it's a much to do with them as you. But a big mistake or two, esp. at CD, and you look doubly bad. Of course, if your competition looks to have stuffed Arsenal in a tidy win, you risk sitting a bit longer.

14. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree. They looked very explosive the other day but where unlucky in their finishing. If he starts this is great news. Realistically he wont face better competition all year outside of City, United and Chelsea so this is a great game to prove yourself against the elite.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt he plays this weekend but it would be quite a debut if he did and played real well.

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

since he was in the middle of the MLS season his fitness is still probably fine. It's not like someone coming from another European league.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Stoke: Begovic; Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson; Pennant, Cameron, Whelan, Kightly; Walters, Crouch

Looks to be starting in mid.

19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley, Cameron and Ream (hope he pops back in). It is very impressive to watch these young Americans march over to Europe and immediately claim starting postions.

If the half time scoreline vs Arsenal (0-0) holds up, it will be tough to get him out of the lineup.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Congrats to Geoff. He put in a really good shift, and according to team concept. Pulis will be pleased.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Geoff was voted MOTM for Stoke in their 0-0 draw with Arsenal today while playing at CM. He looks like a very different player compared to the rest of Stoke's team. He moves fluidly, has a calming touch, makes great poking tackles to dispossess guys and has good link up play.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Based on his debut, he fits in nicely with Stoke's style and mentality, but he adds a touch of class that's in short supply in that midfield as well.

23. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    yeah, let's hope they don't bring him down in the gutter. He looks like Cruyff out there in comparison!

deuteronomy repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron brings a little bit of fresh air to Stoke with his tiddy possession, good movement, and shorter, quicker passing. He also wasn't flying into tackles instead tackling with precision and a purpose. He wasn't tackling for the sake of tackling. He was trying to actually gain possession. My hope is that his 'mates and Pulis realize he's a bit different, a bit of a calming influence. I hope they use that to the advantage and don't dismiss it.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    MotM in his debut? Simply Fantastic. Seemed like he fit in real well at Stoke. And this is even more exceptional considering he jumped like 20 leagues from MLS the PL.