Geoff Cameron at Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is not Cameron's agent or personal trainer. His job is to do what he feels necessary to prepare the U.S. for the World Cup, not what may be best for a particular player's club career. I would like to see Cameron decline the call, but I also think Klinsmann is obliged to put him on the list as long as he thinks the player is good enough; he then leaves it up to Cameron to decide whether he thinks it is in his short-term best interest to make the trip.

superdave repped this.
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    On the other hand, what's best for Cameron's club career might be what's best for the U.S. as well.

Cameron is the only center-back the U.S. has in a top 4 league at this point, and we're less than 2 years away from the World Cup and 6 months away from the start of the Hex. Anything that harms Cameron's chances of hitting the ground running and solidifying a place in Stoke's lineup also reduces the likelihood that the US will have any center-backs playing regularly at a high level when the US will most need them.

(I should also mention that I'm discussing this in this forum because the corollary to my first statement is that what's best for the U.S. might be what's best for Cameron's club career as well.)

ImaPuppy repped this.
  3. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the one does not exclude the other. Overall, I think Klinsmann is right to call him up, but Cameron has to decide what to do, and there pros and cons to either decision. I think case, I would think he would be best-served by spending as much time with his new team as possible, since the league kickoff is imminent and he wasn't around for summer camp.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to try to read too much into JK's mind, but he could just be laying down a marker with the club by calling Geoff even though he knows Geoff won't come. Could help them both with Stoke later on down the line- gives Geoff a chance to make a good first impression and gives perhaps some ammunition for call-ups later.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Cameron went 90 in his debut, a 1-1 draw against Greuther Furth. He was a CM for the first 60 minutes and a CB for the final 30.

Commentary from the official Stoke City website on Cameron:

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/greuther-furth-vs-stoke-city-live-305322.aspx

And the official match report.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like typical Cameron play. It was always exciting to see him surging from the back line to take on defenders and place pinpoint crosses in the box.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some moving pictures from the Greuther site:

If he is on the Azteca Roster he will be getting some nice bumps on his frequent flyer miles.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What number does he have?

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to be a debbie downer, but Cameron probably looks like Pele to stoke fans :D. the whole dribbling and passing thing is a little weird to them

sXeWesley and El Naranja repped this.
  10. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, Crouch has sick skillzzzz.....

[​IMG]

BarcaLover and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if maybe Klinsmann told the work permit tribunal that Cameron was going to be called up for the Mexico game? Can't see it going over well if he wasn't called up to the next squad after having Klinsmann vouch for him. Would hurt future guys in the same position maybe.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL is that whats going on there....

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    One take on Cameron's performance:

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...career-flyer/story-16692923-detail/story.html

14. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above tells me that MLS continues to increase its quality at an amazing rate. We used to send guys to England and hope that they could get a WP and earn some playing time. Since Dempsey's move, we have seen Holden, Donovan, Ream, and now (hopefully) Cameron all come in and get slotted into their clubs lineups straight away, and show quality quickly. Cameron is considered too skilled to be wasted in an EPL team's central defense? That's pretty awesome. Although I wish they would just play him in central defense for our sake.

adi21, Fanatical Monk and quinn repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Putting out a competitive roster in Mexico is certainly one of Klinsmann's goals, but so is building a roster for WCQ and beyond. It takes a while, several camps, training sessions and games before newer players are completely integrated into the mix. WCQ resumes in Sept., so team building right now is important. Maybe at a different time Cameron would have been left behind to establish himself at his new club, but the stakes are higher now.

16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    He covers ground similar to Jermaine Jones. Really long strider. I think both could be great centerbacks.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Its one real practice (though with JK, he'll have a two-a-day on Tuesday). There is no team building here.
    He had 3 weeks with them in May/June and will have a week with them before the Jamaica game. There is no real reason for anyone to be at this match.

18. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Don't forget EJ and his....oh...nevermind. :sick:

HouseHead78 repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This may have already been listed on the past thread but there was rumors of some European clubs that were also making moves for Cameron. Does anyone know exactly which were they? And why he selected Stoke.

20. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton made a late bid. Thats all i know of. Anyways, real excited to see what he'll do in the Prem. I really think he can succeed at DM in this league.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see the list of other clubs/leagues linked to Cameron in the transfer window thread. We maintain that list as a quick and easy reference source. Unfortunately, with the new format I can't keep all the sources/stories linked within the list anymore as there seems to be a size limit for posts in the new BS system that can't handle dozens of embedded hyperlinks.

22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are certain exceptions. Cooper as well.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks. I'll go check that thread. So what's the chance that Cameron starts next weekend? Seems like quite the possibility.​

24. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    After flying across the Atlantic and back? I doubt it.

25. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I think this is even bigger than that. I think this means Cameron is Klinsmann pick to be our of our starting center backs this entire cycle (and into the World Cup), and he wants Geoff to experience playing against Mexico in Mexico City before he has to go down there 'for real' and get a result
    during qualifying.

I think that is the ONLY reason why Klinsmann would call him up during this critical period when Geoff needs to practice with his new teammates as well.

freisland repped this.