Genoa [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by soccer krazy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: The Official Genoa Thread

-34 to safety. Now we need to start making points away.

A bit lucky tonight, Roma got shafted by the linesman and the game could have gone another way.

Milito is impressing, Criscito is doing well, the central midfield is the weak point so far.

Good game by Palladino tonight.

2. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California

Luciano Figueroa returns to Argentina to join Boca jrs on loan

3. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004

for all the genovafans that didn't watch Belgium - Spain : you missed out! Antony Vanden Borre played an incredible match. Top Class!!

4. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

What position did he play??

Too bad he got kicked out of the team for being a day late at the training grounds after his NT duties were over.

He has potential but needs to behave like a professional.

Good win and great first half today versus Siena, after another great win 2 weeks ago versus Napoli (we were reduced to 9 men). Thiago Motta made his debut today after Milanetto injured himself again. He's not in shape yet but surely looks class.

I'm especially liking our defense, Criscito, Ferrari, Biava, Bocchetti, Papastathopoulos all playing great so far. Hopefully we manage to permanently snap Criscito from Juve, he is really progressing and showing his worth at left midfield too.

Milito is ruling, what I'm worried about though are his (non-existent) alternatives, Figueroa should have definitely stayed or, since apparently there were problems between him and the coach, a proper replacement (and not the scrub Olivera) should have been brought in. Hopefully we'll fix this in January.

-28 to safety

5. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Best of luck to Lucho, he couldn't really prove himself here due to injuries and tactics...this summer I was confident he could finally be our first choice forward but he fell out with the coach and, with Milito being back, he couldn't get any significant playing time.

6. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

cheers mate, yeah, snatching criscito from juve would be a coup, he and ferrari have been really solid, the young greek has looked good as well.

I still can't believe you guys got milito, I used to always use him in fifa caused I played with zaragoza when I would do seasons in la liga cause he and oliveira were such a lethal attack on the game, lol...what a classy player.

7. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania

Good to see Genoa doing well. Really a special club with very passionate fans (one of the best in Europe). Hopefully you will take a point or three from Inter next week. Good luck.

8. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004

he was the right-back in a 5-4-1 formation. He normally isn't fit for right back (e.g. in a 4-4-2) but when there are 3 central defenders it's really his thing.
    He owned the whole right flank. Even in defensive actions.
    I saw his debut at Anderlecht at age 16 and am a fan ever since,so I'm a bit biased, but nobody who saw the spain match would deny that he played great. He made Cazorla look like an utter fool.

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

According to latest reports, England/Newcastle United striker Michael Owen is looking to make a jump to Serie A next Summer when his current contract with Newcastle expires. The only name that has been rumored to have really strong interest in his services so far is none other than Genoa FC.

10. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I hope it's bullshit.

Great player but:

- Genoa needs to grow slower and establish themselves in serie A a little more before starting to have too many players with fat salaries
    - I don't know if we have the financial strength (Preziosi is rich - he's the owner of Giochi Preziosi, one of the biggest toy companies in the world - but has a tradition of bad financial administration in his previous clubs and Genoa remains a medium team)
    - I don't see how he would fit into our tactics....unless he's willing to sit on the bench adn be Milito's replacement (as I said, that's one spot in our roster we clearly lack in depth...Olivera is worthless)....and I heavily doubt it.
    - These rumors come from the English press
    - I don't know if he's fit, and we have already had some bad experiences with injury-prone players (hopefully Thiago Motta is the exception)

I wouldn't be surprised if the club actually interested in Owen is Sampdoria and not us:

- They clearly need a prima punta
    - They need to buy some big name player to compete with Genoa and the Milito signing (their tifosi are still fuming....lol)
    - They are currently struggling in the league and need a confidence injection
    - They have a president who is rich as ******** (Italy's biggest private oilman, I think he's worth more than Moratti....he's very greedy and a bit uninterested in football, though) and low overall salary costs.

11. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

We play with a 3-man/5-man defence but our coach sees him more as a central midfielder rather than a right back...but he already showed he's very versatile (a skill which is very cherished by our coach, that's why we signed him permanently after selling Konko).

12. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

first question do you guys miss julio cesar leon?? second why does genoa and milan have the flag city flag?? the red cross one... third does any know a website to watch serie B games?

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

So far, so good for you guys. If there's one game in which Milito needs to score, it's this match coming up. You guys haven't done well on your travels so far so it looks like Inter Buenos Aires will get another win. Genoa are Sampdoria's rivals but I can't stand Inter.

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Wow, I really didn't realize that Samp's president was actually that loaded. You'd think that this guy would do more for his club considering how much they've been struggling over the years. Would be nice to repay the loyalty of the Samp fans as well.

15. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania

Genoa looked very good in the first half against Inter, should've been up by a goal. First time this year i see Inter struggling so much against someone at home.

16. MilanOnlyMilan

Oct 24, 2005
    Lithuania

A well deserved and very important point against Inter.

17. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

hahaha fuk inter GREAT tie againts inter. compared to last yrs 4 - nil lost

18. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

No Palladino at all in this match? :confused:

19. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

he's injured

20. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Genoa2 - 1Cagliari

21. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004

Hi guys.
    Any thoughts on Vanden Borre ?
    I heard he played great against Inter Milan. How did he play against Cagliari?
    Any chance of a starting position in the squad?

22. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He did well when he entered the pitch against Inter, not so much against Cagliari but it wasn't his fault, the whole team played like shit in the 2nd half. Luckily we managed to win nonetheless, although Cagliari definitely deserved the draw.

I don't know about starting, Gasperini has his favorite (Juric....not really a good player quality-wise, but lots of heart and stamina), Milanetto is a lock in the playmaking position and Thiago Motta is recovering and finding his form (and if he gets back in shape he'll be guaranteed a starting place...he and Milito are clearly on a higher level, compared to our other players...)....but VDB is getting consistent playing time as a sub and contributing in a positive way, which is already an improvement.

23. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Leon is a good player but a bit of an anarchist, he made the difference in serie B but last year it was clear he didn't really fit into Gasperini's tactics, so he estranged himself from the game. Plus, in his position we brought in other quality players (Palladino, Gasbarroni). So I think parting ways was the best thing to do.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Saint_George ) is a brief history of the Saint George's cross, the city of Milan adopted it for religious reasons (it was a symbol for pilgrims going to the Holy Land and then became a symbol for the Crusades) unrelated to the history of the city of Genoa.

I don't know any web site which shows serie B, maybe Alice homeTV but it's an Italy-only web-based TV.

24. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Well...VDB had his chance today and played very well....good draw away at Udinese but we could have even won, based on the chances we had. Their best player was, by far, the keeper.

+11 on relegation zone
    -23 to safety

Starting to look good.

25. vanbasten9 redded

Nov 13, 2008
    Club:
    Newark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

in interviews or in field?