Genoa [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by soccer krazy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well for some reason euro teams will buy colombian players but not directly from our league and pay 2-3x more for the same player. He is getting bought by italian investors that will place him at Genoa(dont know if on loan or permanent), same thing recently happened with our rightback Camilo Zuniga who was bought by italian investors and placed in Siena. Siena was not mentioned till right before he went to italy and to sign his contract.

According to colombian sites he will be in italy tommorrow to discuss his contract.

I dont know how well ur spanish here but here r 2 links for articles that say he is going.

from yesterday

another article from a soccer site owned by the biggest newspaper in colombia

2. genoacfc.ca

genoacfc.ca New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Re: The Official Genoa Thread

Foschi Blasts Press over Pazzini Rumors
    Goal.com

Pazzini has been linked with a summer exit as Alberto Gilardino’s arrival in Florence has led to rife speculation that he would leave the Artemio Franchi. Genoa have been looking for a forward as they continue to strengthen but Foschi insists it’s not Pazzini and he has poured cold water on the fire. I don’t know anything whatsoever about this, honestly, Foschi told ViolaNews.

These rumors are just all stupidities made up by the papers and they will only serve to damage Genoa and Fiorentina. I never spoke to Pantaleo Corvino about this argument. I Grifoni have been eyeing potential strikers following the departure of Marco Di Vaio to Bologna.

Their search for a decent finisher will continue but time is running out as the transfer window closes on Sunday. The port-city club just missed out on European football last term and Gian Piero Gasperini has already laid down the objectives this season as he tries to steer his side up the Serie A table and into the UEFA Cup places.

From Genoacfc.ca

3. genoacfc.ca

genoacfc.ca New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Catania-Genoa Preview
    The Sicilians avoided relegation in the final minutes of last season and will be hoping for a more relaxed start to this campaign against a renovated Rossoblù outfit. Catania’s 1-1 draw with Roma kept them in the top flight and once again home form will be decisive for their fortunes, as 27 of their total 37 points were picked up at the Stadio Massimino. Genoa’s away record wasn’t too disappointing with five wins and as many draws, but the team has undergone quite a few changes over the summer and might need time to gel.

Both teams have already played official games over the last week and went through to the fourth round of the Coppa Italia. Genoa comfortably saw off Serie B side Mantova 3-1 with two Ruben Olivera goals and an Omar Milanetto screamer, but Catania struggled through extra time to finally get past Parma 2-1 in this stadium with Michele Paolucci’s brace.

Gian Piero Gasperini is set to adopt a 3-4-3 system with at least four new signings in the starting XI, including Olivera and former Roma defender Matteo Ferrari. The Uruguayan makes his return to Serie A after a dismal spell at Juventus, but has already shown in pre-season that when played in his favored advanced role he can be very effective. Lucho Figueroa will not be participating, as the unlucky forward has sustained another ankle injury, while Milanetto and Sacramento Danilo are suspended. Antony Vanden Borre is also a doubt, as the Belgian has only just returned from the Olympics. New buy Raffaele Palladino, on loan from Juventus, may have to make way for Andrea Gasbarroni in the trident attack.

Coach Walter Zenga took over at Catania in the final weeks of last season, so this is his first full campaign in Serie A after working in Romania, America, Serbia and the United Arab Emirates. He has begun to forge a team in his image, bringing in former Steaua Bucharest favorite Nicolae Dica to support striker Paolucci, who impressed last term at Ascoli. The midfield is given a more South American flavor with the Serie A debut of Argentines Pablo Ledesma and Ezequiel Carboni, but captain Davide Baiocco sits out a ban.

Possible Line-Ups

Catania (probable): Bizzarri, Sabato, Stovini, Terlizzi, Sardo, Ledesma, Carboni, Mascara, Dica, Martinez, Paolucci

Genoa (probable): Rubinho, Criscito, Ferrari, Biava, Modesto, Juric, Rossi, Mesto, Gasbarroni, Olivera, Sculli

Referee: n.a.

from genoacfc.ca

4. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The Pazzini deal fell through and we apparently have turned to other names which leave me baffled to say the least (Succi, Abbruscato...better stay this way until January and then evaluate if Olivera is a good striker, Figueroa is fit and see if we need someone else at center forward). I must say our mercato started in a great way but I'm not liking these last days at all, it seems like we lost it a bit.

Tonight's rumors of Foschi already resigning (he arrived at the end of July...) point out that probably Gasperini and the executives have different views on the team....probably someone thinks we're too thin up top and someone thinks we're OK this way.

We'll see.

5. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

congrats on signing a good prima punta.

As for the game against Catania, what happened there? What went wrong?

7. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Uhm....it appears that Tottenham outbid us (by far...they offered 16 millions) and now Zaragoza want to sell Milito to them...hopefully we don't get screwed.

It's on Spanish newspapers as well ( http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/g...aje-argentino/dasftb/20080901dasdasftb_15/Tes )....I have bad feelings, though.

As for yesterday....just a bad game, lots of players still not in shape.

8. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Deal fell through...too bad.

Milito and Zaragoza both signed but papers arrived 5 minutes too late.

9. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Now it appears that the deal is going to be accepted by Lega Calcio despite some paperwork arriving a little late (the papers were signed in time after all)....vedremo.

Also, I'd really like to understand why our transfers end at 19.00 and in other countries they end at 24.00....it makes no sense.

PS: ******** Zaragoza, who tried to toy with Genoa.

10. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  11. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio

why is a talent like mesto starting from the bench. man reggina shoulda held onto him cause we need an outside right player. genoa must be loaded with talent. the mesto/modesto 1-2 punch needs to exist!

12. genoacfc.ca

genoacfc.ca New Member

Jul 25, 2008

Palermo chief said that Genoa’s new signing of Milito will be a bad influence inside the dressing room and that is the reason as to why the Rosanero never signed him when they had the chance this summer.

The Rossoblu, as expected, didn’t take the comments too kindly and they have hit back. Preziosi released a statement on the club’s official website as Genoa have expressed their disappointment with the unnecessary and unjust comments by the president of the Sicilian club.
    Preziosi Jr also added that it would be also preferred if every president focussed on their own club. The comments are uncalled for as Genoa's success was also due to its dressing room.

Genoa responded to protect the image of the club and not to cause any further trouble. Zamparini is also famous for his lyrical rants against everyone in the calcio world. Accused Amauri’s agents of extorsion during the player’s transfer to Juventus and he is now facing legal action for libel.
    As well he also sacked Stefano Colantuono on Thursday morning.

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Just wanted to applaud you guys on a brilliant victory over Milan today! Genoa showed zero signs of being intimidated and they simply overpowered Milan in almost every department!

Why didn't Palladino start though???

14. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

hey guys

didn't watch the game nor did I read any reports on it or anything but saw the final result (and that's all that really matters) and wanted to say congrats!!!

15. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Great performance today, everyone is saying we only won thanks to Milan being in shambles (they were crap in the first half but played decent after Borriello came in and Ronaldinho was replaced...our defense though was outstanding and they couldn't get many scoring opportunities) but if we always play like this at home this season I doubt many teams will get points.

Palladino didn't start because Sculli and Gasbarroni provide much better defensive cover, he will start against teams with less attacking power, I think.

In other news, after prolonged medicals Genoa apparently signed the Brazilian midfielder Thiago Motta.

-37 alla quota salvezza.

16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Gasbarroni was definitely the man of the match in my opinion. The guy was a machine out there today!

17. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

congrats, good performance. if gasbarroni can give you that kind of consistent performance next to the class of milito, and ferrari can reproduce his parma form, then i see no reason why genoa can't compete for a top 7/8 finish as long as the injury bug doesn't hit too harshly.

cheers

18. genoacfc.ca

genoacfc.ca New Member

Jul 25, 2008

OFFICIAL, Thiago Motta to Genoa
    After the win over AC Milan, Genoa's chairman Enrico Preziosi and coach Gian Piero Gasperini (seen in the picture) have told the press that Brazilian midfielder Thiago Motta (26) has signed for Genoa on a free transfer. Motta was at Atletico Madrid last season.

19. Redondo85

Redondo85 Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Scotland

I can only echo the sentiments above a really great performance by Genoa. The middle table clubs are really strong this year and i hope they can continue in this vein and keep the "top four" on their toes.

20. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

I just hope that Palladino doesn't end up becoming a bench player with Genoa as well. The main reason why he even went there was to get regular starting minutes! He's such an incredibly talented player in my opinion, and it would be a waste to see him spend most the season as a sub.

21. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

If he does then that's his fault. He could of joined us and played LW.

22. genoacfc.ca

genoacfc.ca New Member

Jul 25, 2008

From Genoa's local paper: Genoa's Presidend Preziosi interviewed:
    We took Palladino now on the bench, and it's OK as he knows that he's always in consideration and that he will be playing. Every player would like to play every time. It's not possible, but between regular season and Coppa Italia (TIM Cup), there will be always space for every player because of fatigue and possabilities of injuries.

23. Redondo85

Redondo85 Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Scotland

Palladino will definetely get playing time this season considering Serie A 08/09 has barely begun. But like Mattteo said Sculli and Gasbarroni provide better cover defensively and while i hope Gasbarroni can become a more consistant player this season i see this as a good opportunity for Palladino to prove his worth.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Sculli looked good against Milan, but I was never really convinced about the guy. I know he showed a lot of promise during his U-21 days, but he never really fulfilled his potential. Perhaps winds of change are blowing in his direction this season though.

25. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Perhaps he felt the competition was too stiff even on Napoli, who prior to the season kicking off looked to have more depth in attack than Genoa did. Keep in mind that Genoa had just lost their best striker in Boriello, so perhaps Palladino felt that this would be the perfect opportunity for him to come onto Genoa and claim a starting place.