Genius begins great works; labour alone finishes them. Twente 2012-2013 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I understand about alcohol. I will remember that when I plan on attending any matches especially European matches there that have me in that little area with all the clubs.

2. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was busy doing a few things around my apartment just prior to the start of the game and with it in Spanish anyways, it made it tough to know what was going on so I had wondered who he was at first. That was cool to see Tutu in the Twente shirt.

That is very impressive with the start they have had with the injuries and the fact that the final finishing could be improved. It really leaves a lot of opportunity for what could be a very good season both in the league as well as in Europe.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yep, great game by Douglas. Strong in defending, and should have scored with a free header to top his performance. I was pleasantly surprised by Braafheid. Did good in the back line, and looked very eager to join the attack, and in fact had a couple shots on goal.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not so sure about Braafheid, he looks a lot more shaky defensively than back in the old days. I wonder what McClaren will do when Schilder returns for the game vs Ajax on Saturday night: stick Schilder in midfield or play him as a leftback.

6. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    i think he will be happy having this kind of problem !
    I was also pleasatly surprised Braafheid, hope he can keep it up and restart himself in Twente after failing to impress in Hoffenheim..

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Twente expected to field a reserves team tonight in the cup. We're playing against amateurs so it's a good opportunity to give youngsters like Cabral and Born a chance (and to give our starting XI a bit of rest ahead of saturday's away game at Ajax).

8. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If translation is working, it appears this writer sure doesn't talk highly about Twente leading up to the match up with Ajax. Excuse me if it has been posted, Is he a little biased?

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=173540

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Did you read the readers comments too? They should answer your question.

But never mind, Lex Muller is subjective, but so am I. Form your own opinion. You've watched Twente games. Do you think we have just two good players, Fer and Tadic? More importantly considering that the writer wrote this in a preview on saturday night's game, do you think Ajax has better player material? That to me is the strange thing about that piece. He talks about Twente being mediocre, he talks about PSV having superior players, but he says next to nothing about Ajax players. In a piece that's supposed to be about Ajax vs Twente.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well that was fun, we won by an amazing 1-0 hehehe.

11. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    just seen the highlights of the game....
    what a winning goal hahaha
    seems like Boschker was feeling sorry for the home keeper and almost made the same blunder as well in the last minutes...fun to watch

12. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I read it. I was basically not looking for an answer for me but for any reader of the article to come to a conclusion themselves. I agree with what you have mentioned in this case.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I almost felt sorry myself for that amateur goalkeeper! He was apparently brilliant for 89 minutes..

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Schilder certain to start on saturday, that's a relief. Considering that McClaren likes to play it safe, I think this will be our starting line-up:

------------------------Mihaylov------------------
    Rosales------------Douglas---????----Braafheid
    Janssen---------------Brama-------------Schilder----
    Tadic----------------Castaignos-------------Chadli---

I think he'll start Janssen rather than Gutierrez because we can hurt Ajax on pace.

15. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    same here, he would be the man of the match and you never know, maybe with Castaignos's shooring form he would make it to penalties and he can become the country star of the day then...
    feeel really sorry for him !

another case is Marsman, what are you saying on that performance ? saved the penalty but what a serie of blunders he has made in that game ! when i thought they will win the game, he nailed it in the closing minutes with the 3rd blunder completely...

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Marsman was god awful. If there ever was any question about letting him go he proved the critics wrong last night.

17. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    so is he on loan or transferred for good ?
    also missed Roseler joining Venlo..hope at least Roseler is coming back after the loan is over...

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    On loan.

I rate Roseler, he's a good player. We're incredibly stacked in midfield this season though, so probably better for him to get regular playing time elsewhere.

19. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    speaking of Roseler..is he more naturally def.midfielder or centre back ?
    when playing in football manager he was always labelled as centre back :)
    but seen him playing for Twente at both positions, also for Venlo he played at both....or he doesnt mind any of these ?

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well, what a totally crap game that was. On the plus side, Ajax wasn't any better, and we're still top of the league. No idea what paralysed our lot so much, I guess we're still not over the 2011 trauma.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's been played in both positions but I like him a lot better as a midfielder. No idea what his preferred position is to be honest!

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very simple, McClaren played park the bus football and hoped for a counterattack to snatch the wining goal for another 1-0 win. He might have had it too were it not for a wonderful Alderwiereld challenge to Schilder who was breaking in on Vermeer. Twente showed absolutely no inclination to attack and IMO Castignos is just wasted on this team. Ajax were far better and at least went out to attack and try to score, more than can be said of Twente. It's fine with me if McClaren wants to continue in this vein, but I certainly find this 'anti-football' a waste of time to watch.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I can't for the life of me understand how you can conclude from that game that Ajax is much better, sorry. Frank de Boer must have been very pleased indeed with McClaren's tactics, I'll give you that.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Look at every single statistic of the match including the final score; that's how I conclude this. I haven't read all the press reports but of those I have none mentioned FdB's admiration for Twente's tactics. Even when Ajax are way overmatched in CL football they don't bunker down and play anti-football. Now I've been one who has admired what Twente have done administratively and for the most part on the pitch over the years that I've followed Dutch football (my last in person Ajax match was a pasting of Twente, 8-1 in the old stadium back in 1979!) so I do know a little. Now maybe McClaren thought that this was the only way that Twente could win or maybe he was playing for a draw, only he can answer that question. IMO is was a sad statement.

25. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yeah, I was expecting such a more intense match than we all got.