Genius begins great works; labour alone finishes them. Twente 2012-2013 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 17, 2012.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Boschker at least gives a damn. Which is more than can be said about most in this team.

Looks like we're going to have a massive clean-out this summer and good riddance I say. Lots of youngsters brought in and brought back from loan spells. At least they've all got something to prove.

2. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    with all due respect, but some of your players aren't even Heracles material imo. I mean, players like Wisgerhof, Willem Janssen, Breukers and Castaignos aren't that good for a club that wants to fight for the title each season.

That said, I'd like to see Cabral play more matches next season. I know he has probably the shittiest mentality of the Eredivisie, but I'm a fan of his skills and I can't forget his good performance in the Roda match, which was probably his best match ever so far.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Wisgerhof and Breukers aren't in the starting XI. Castaignos did well in the second half of the season, he'll come good. Janssen at least works hard. It's not the quality of the players that's the problem. If you've got a core with Douglas, Tadic, Chadli and Fer, you have the quality to compete for top honours in the eredivisie. Every other team and that's including PSV and Ajax have weaknesses too.

Haven't you heard? Cabral's contract wasn't extended. He's been all over the local papers for causing trouble in the apartment building where he lives. This is a luxury high-rise in the Enschede city centre where Douglas and Fer also live. Let's just say their fellow residents aren't exactly happy about them living there. This also is why I'm so pissed off with these players. Douglas has taken up smoking and drinking, Cabral is behaving like an idiot, Mihaylov I've regularly spotted myself down town. They're just not taking their job seriously.

4. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Every club has to face reorganisation at least once in their existence and I think your club will be facing that in the upcoming seasons. Joop did a good job but I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that your club needs more elite people like former players, important people in the club who can prevent these shameless events.

And a decent coach. ;)

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The club's football organisation is pretty much run exclusively by former players - I think Paddy Kluivert's the only one without a Twente history. Munsterman doesn't do anything football-related.

Douglas was fined and suspended earlier this season and he was even banned from the bench this past month. Cabral was also fined and Twente made him apologise to the people in the building. What more can you do to drive the message home? It's not like this club can't deal with difficult characters. The same people who are in charge now had the likes of Arnautovic and Elia behaving well, which is a considerable achievement.

6. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    really sad to hear these problems with drinking and unprofessional behaviour, though it's probably an issue in most of the clubs around - depend to how many of the Twente players this is related, if only to this trio or most of the squad...
    remember there was a coach who gave a player who came drunk to the training the extra homework running the stairs to the stadion 500 times, and then they changed their drinking habits and rarely drunk again...
    Didnt knew why Douglas was not playing last bunch of games, thought its because of his summer departure, so they were giving the chance to Bengtsson and Bjelland to play together...
    Also interesting that Breaukers has been largely preferred to Rosales the last bunch of games, is it also because of Rosales's having bad attitude ?

happy to see Cabral leaving, when he came on under McClaren he was not good, and Holscher seemed much better and at least eager to develop. And considering his bitchy behaviour, looking fw to see him gone.

Regarding to mentioned summer cleanup, hope Willem Janssen will stay, imho he is not always playing perfect, but always giving it his 100% or even more, having high work rate and double lungs, always covering much of the field for the likes of Chadli and Tadic, so with Brama being back, two hardworking midfielders are always useful (considering that Gutierrez is the opposite of hardworker..)

7. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    2 great goals and game on again..curious to see the final outcome of this game...Utrecht so far the better team and within two minutes going 2:0 down...

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Breukers only plays when Rosales is injured or suspended. Rosales just extended his contract and while he's not exactly a good defender, I'm happy about his extension. As an attacking right back, and those are hard to find, he's pretty good.

I agree with you about Janssen. He's not a top quality player but his workrate is second to none. I like his mentality.

We'll likely see a new team next season with half of the squad replaced and this is not a bad thing. I would like to see a new arse-kicking coach next season, someone with heaps of passion for this club. I'm hoping for Gert-Jan Verbeek. He grew up here in Enschede, he has heart for this club. His personality might clash with that of our chairman but never mind, as the Dutch saying goes it won't hurt for this club to get some pepper up its arse.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Just underscores what I've always thought really. In terms of individual quality, Twente is a lot better than Utrecht. This season's Twente was no team though. What a shame.

10. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    yeah great team spirit and team performance from Utrecht in both games, even though they were under heavy pressure and got lucky at the end...would have loved Toornstra in Twente's shirt, he really played decent role in both games.

Looking forward to the new season, with almost new team, and many youngsters - saw today on the bench, when the commentator named the "experienced players" there as Holscher, Zsschusschen and Gyasi, really plenty of potential if the team will be full of youngsters as these for the next seasons.

And a bit off topic - is there some website summing up the transfers in Eredivisie which are already certain ? As the commentator said sth about Mike van Hoorn joining PSV, Wuytens leaving Utrecht as well...if there is any website summing up these transfers, would love to take a look and be updated..thanks :)

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

VI.nl haven't started their new transfer diary yet but I'm sure they will soon. I'll keep you updated.

12. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    baie dankie !

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Sonny Stevens was officially presented yesterday. He signed a five year contract.

So so far:

Definitely in: Kyle Ebecilio (midfielder, 19, on a free from Arsenal), Sonny 'Shakin' (erm..) Stevens (goalkeeper, 20, transfer fee Euro 350,000, from Dutch second division side Volendam)

Definitely back in: Quincy Promes (winger, 21, spent last season on loan at the Eagles where he stood out and became one of the best players in the second division)

Definitely out: Douglas (end of contract, no idea where he's going), Bajrami (spent last season on loan at A/S Monaco, no idea where he's going, we're likely to get a small transfer sum for him as he's got one year left on his contract), Marsman (was on loan at GA Eagles, not having his contract extended, will likely stay at the Eagles) Cabral (no contract extension, no idea where he's going) Braafheid (no contract extension offered to him, no idea where he' s going)

Probably out: Mihaylov (no idea where he's going, likely to fetch a reasonable transfer sum) Chadli (no idea where he's going, likely to fetch a big transfer sum)

Those who want to go: Brama (says he needs a new challenge) and Fer (has had his head up Everton's arse for the past six months)

Chairman has announced that we won't be spending big money even if we get a lot of cash for Chadli. Focus is on young Dutch players. No news yet re: new manager.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Twente has confirmed interest in signing Youness Mokhtar (21), winger at PEC Zwolle.

Young, talented, eager, cheap. It's all good.

15. ortevor

ortevor Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Czech Republic
    Club:
    FC Twente 1965
    thanks for all the info...Mokhtar is really good deal imho, bargain who may turn out to be the next Chadli, really impressed me this season, good transfer.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Our scouts are pretty good at spotting talent for the wings, so hopefully they got this one right too.

ortevor repped this.
  17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We're also linked with Thievy Bifouma (UD Las Palmas) best known for scoring a hattrick vs Barcelona once.

Rumours about Bruma also persist.

ortevor repped this.
  18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Bruma is ex Feyenoord. That promotes his arrival from rumor to fact.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You might have heard that we are likely to be without ex Feyenoord next season. Fer and Cabral are two of the least popular footballers ever to have set foot in Enschede. Who knew Castaignos would actually turn out to be the one with the best mentality out of that lot.

I have it on relatively good authority that Bruma himself is eager to come here.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Let me be clear about this one. I think FC Twente has done Dutch football a big service by following a financial conservative route and build a financial sound organisation that enabled them to rival the top 3 teams in a serious way. The Fer transfer was a big status loss for Feyenoord and I am sure extra motivation for them to make serious plans to rise again in the future. Now Feyenoord are planning to build a new stadium that should generate them good money in the end. They have done a bad job financially and Fc Twente made them feel that by being able to take their main player from them at the time. Excellent motivation for Feyenoord to do better management wise, which is good for the competition.

Also: "Focus is on young Dutch players". Excellent news. Bruma and Ebecilio are 2 players I am eager to see develop in Eredivisie. Even a headless chicken like PvA at Vitesse has made nice improvements and I rate Bruma more than him.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Well thank you for that. Nice to hear after the truckloads of garbage we've had dumped on our club over the past six months!

Don't know if anyone's been aware of this but our chairman has been threatened over the FBK stadium thing. The FBK stadium is in Hengelo, right next to the Twente training centre. The stadium hosts an international athletics event every year. As only 2,000 paying spectators show up for it, it's operating at a heavy loss. So the city of Hengelo asked Twente if they wanted to buy the stadium. The idea being that we could then play our ladies team's CL games and our reserves (who will play in the second division next season, more on that later) there. Twente was willing to do this but as the stadium had to be altered, making football a priority and not athletics. Result: Dutch athletics community coming down hard on Twente and Munsterman, in the vilest way, over twitter and social media, and Munsterman got personal threats.

To sum this up: the city of Hengelo asked Twente for help, Twente said we'll see what we can do to help you out, at which a hate campaign vs Twente was rolled out, and against our chairman in particular. I saw even on the Dutch public news 'Twente threatens FBK games'. WTF????? I'm just telling this story to describe the tone of voice vs Twente here. A negative spin is given to every bit of news surrounding our club, even in the official news, and I won't even get into what's been said on the social media.

Anyway Twente has pulled out of this, leaving the city of Hengelo in shock. They now have an empty stadium without a single use and the whole FBK event will likely be sold to another city.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Napoli want Fer. Very good news. For us. Not sure if it's good news for Napoli.

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why is FC Twente not in the market for Duarte. Interesting player I would say and plays right next to you.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

The motto this summer is cheap, young and preferably Dutch (with plenty of statiegeld).

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Several people spotted Roda striker Malki in the Enschede city centre this weekend. He could just have been enjoying a beer in the sun on our lovely old market square, of course, but it seems a bit of a long drive just for that.

I myself bumped into Fred Rutten. He wouldn't say anything about the rumour that he's going to return to the club (either as director of football or as coach).